Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 301

Thread: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

  1. #271
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,360
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    You're opinion equates telling everyone the sky is paisley...

    That he does not have the power does NOT mean he didn't declare it unconstitution, as I've said three times and you continue to claim he has not. He does have the power to instruct the DoJ not to defend the law, which is a defato end run, instead of trying to repeal said law. Do you agree?

    I've already addressed this with Deuce... and it's irrelevant to my argument.

    Since you're not addressing my points, I assume you cannot address them. Still want to tell me he didn't say it?
    And this is why you need to actually try and explain what your objection is, since no one can figure it out. The only other possibility I can come up with is you don't know the difference between a declarative sentence and a legal declaration.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #272
    Educator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    11-28-15 @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    798

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Which I gather would mean that if married in one of the state's that recognize same-sex married, those marriages would be recognized by the Federal Government; but would not be recognized by those states that choose not to.
    That is my understanding of it.

  3. #273
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    There are many people who call themselves Christians.

    There are some who follow the New Testament and the sections of the Old that weren't changed by Christ's sacrifice.

    Do you think modernizing a 2,000 year old religion to fit "modern" perceptions, in terms of the original integrity of that religion, is wise? I do not.

    I don't mind your opinion, and I don't care to show the multiple verses of the Bible in relation to homosexuality. Mayhaps you would twist them as others have? It doesn't interest me much to waste my time.

    To say that America is 80% Christian, and that they support homosexuality... is insultingly incorrect.
    Personally disagreeing with an action and thinking it should be illegal are two entirely different things. There are Christians who are capable of saying "Well, I disagree with it, but my personal religion shouldn't be law of the nation and I don't see a constitutional grounds for making it illegal."

    Does your particular religion override the freedom of others?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #274
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    You're opinion equates telling everyone the sky is paisley...

    That he does not have the power does NOT mean he didn't declare it unconstitution, as I've said three times and you continue to claim he has not. He does have the power to instruct the DoJ not to defend the law, which is a defato end run, instead of trying to repeal said law. Do you agree?

    I've already addressed this with Deuce... and it's irrelevant to my argument.

    Since you're not addressing my points, I assume you cannot address them. Still want to tell me he didn't say it?
    So in your opinion, the president offering his opinion on a law is a violation of his oath. Ok.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #275
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    So in your opinion, the president offering his opinion on a law is a violation of his oath. Ok.
    Well, is that all he did, or did he take some action based on his opinion?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  6. #276
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,360
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Well, is that all he did, or did he take some action based on his opinion?
    The same action every president in recent years has taken. Nothing in his oath says the AG has to defend a law that it has no argument to defend.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #277
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Obama: I only bother with laws that I like...
    You read not good... comprehend fail... try again.

  8. #278
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And this is why you need to actually try and explain what your objection is, since no one can figure it out. The only other possibility I can come up with is you don't know the difference between a declarative sentence and a legal declaration.
    The only thing I can come up with is you refuse to say you're wrong. Continually pointing you to the Presidents own words doesn't seem to work... you apparently believe he is lying.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #279
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The same action every president in recent years has taken. Nothing in his oath says the AG has to defend a law that it has no argument to defend.
    Evidence of "every president"? And what is your defition of "recent years"?
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #280
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Obama: I only bother with laws that I like...
    Try to follow the logic...

    1) The prez must uphold the constitution....

    2) DOMA violates equal protection... as does prop 8.

    3) Ergo...

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •