Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 301

Thread: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

  1. #251
    Educator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    11-28-15 @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    798

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Currently there is a stay or hold on this until the appeal is done. Have you read the actual rulings? I am not a lawyer but managed to get through both and it is facinating reading.
    Ok, section 3 of DOMA will soon no longer be in effect.

    No, I haven't read the rulings, just a couple of articles about them. As I understand the rulings, the judge said that it serves no legitimate federal objective for the federal government to have a definition of marriage that differs from any state's; in effect, it is none of the federal government's business what a state decides to define as a legal marriage.

  2. #252
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by toomuchtime_ View Post
    Ok, section 3 of DOMA will soon no longer be in effect.

    No, I haven't read the rulings, just a couple of articles about them. As I understand the rulings, the judge said that it serves no legitimate federal objective for the federal government to have a definition of marriage that differs from any state's; in effect, it is none of the federal government's business what a state decides to define as a legal marriage.
    Which I gather would mean that if married in one of the state's that recognize same-sex married, those marriages would be recognized by the Federal Government; but would not be recognized by those states that choose not to.

  3. #253
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Gapeach View Post
    I do not care who gets married...so this law doesnt effect me. If they want to be miserable then so be it. Let them pay taxes and merge debts. I am all for people who love another even if its the same sex. Love is Love. I have many friends who are in GoProud.
    You say that while having a Biblical quote in your sig?

    ...How odd.

  4. #254
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    You say that while having a Biblical quote in your sig?

    ...How odd.
    There are many Christians who believe same-sex marriage should be legal.

    Indeed, fewer than 1/3 of Americans believe that there should be some form of legal recognition of same-sex couples - either marriage or civil unions.

    Since this country is more than 80% Christian, that implies that a good number of Christians support gay marriage or civil unions.

    Behind the Numbers - Post-ABC Poll: Views on gay marriage steady, more back civil unions

  5. #255
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    There are many Christians who believe same-sex marriage should be legal.

    Indeed, fewer than 1/3 of Americans believe that there should be some form of legal recognition of same-sex couples - either marriage or civil unions.

    Since this country is more than 80% Christian, that implies that a good number of Christians support gay marriage or civil unions.

    Behind the Numbers - Post-ABC Poll: Views on gay marriage steady, more back civil unions
    There are many people who call themselves Christians.

    There are some who follow the New Testament and the sections of the Old that weren't changed by Christ's sacrifice.

    Do you think modernizing a 2,000 year old religion to fit "modern" perceptions, in terms of the original integrity of that religion, is wise? I do not.

    I don't mind your opinion, and I don't care to show the multiple verses of the Bible in relation to homosexuality. Mayhaps you would twist them as others have? It doesn't interest me much to waste my time.

    To say that America is 80% Christian, and that they support homosexuality... is insultingly incorrect.

  6. #256
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,296
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    There are many people who call themselves Christians.

    There are some who follow the New Testament and the sections of the Old that weren't changed by Christ's sacrifice.

    Do you think modernizing a 2,000 year old religion to fit "modern" perceptions, in terms of the original integrity of that religion, is wise? I do not.

    I don't mind your opinion, and I don't care to show the multiple verses of the Bible in relation to homosexuality. Mayhaps you would twist them as others have? It doesn't interest me much to waste my time.

    To say that America is 80% Christian, and that they support homosexuality... is insultingly incorrect.
    So you take the verses about homosexuality literally so you?

  7. #257
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    So you take the verses about homosexuality literally so you?
    Which do you refer?

  8. #258
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,296
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Which do you refer?
    Come now Wake...

    We've done thus song and dance before.

    If you take the bible literally for one thing, then you have to take everything else as literally or your entire point collapses.

    So if I work on sunday should I be put to death?

  9. #259
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,324
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by toomuchtime_ View Post
    Ok, section 3 of DOMA will soon no longer be in effect.
    Depends on your definition of the word "soon". Most likely it will be a couple years yet.

    No, I haven't read the rulings, just a couple of articles about them. As I understand the rulings, the judge said that it serves no legitimate federal objective for the federal government to have a definition of marriage that differs from any state's; in effect, it is none of the federal government's business what a state decides to define as a legal marriage.
    That judge actually ruled on two different cases involving DOMA, hence two rulings. My brief explanation of both: http://www.debatepolitics.com/blogs/...m-and-law.html
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #260
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    DOMA is a clear violation as well. Look at the court cases. Conservative judges are ruling against it. Based on current US law, it has almost zero chance in the courts.
    What does it matter if the judge is conservative or not?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •