Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 301

Thread: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

  1. #221
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    This is a bit of a Red Herring on your part. You are citing a clear violation of the Freedom of Speech.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #222
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    This is a bit of a Red Herring on your part. You are citing a clear violation of the Freedom of Speech.
    DOMA is a clear violation as well. Look at the court cases. Conservative judges are ruling against it. Based on current US law, it has almost zero chance in the courts.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #223
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    It's what's coming. All the arguments for gay marriage equally apply for polygamy.
    I am also in favor of polygamy.... Well, actually, I am not. I will always be married to the one woman I married, but it is not the business of the Federal government to regulate marriage. It should be done by the various states, which are empowered by the 10th Amendment to do so. If one state wants polygamy or gay marriage or whatever, then so be it. If another doesn't, then so be it. The Federal government's involvement in regulating marriage, via the DOMA, is nothing but an illegal power grab, and is unconstitutional.

    I can't believe you support this Federal intrusion into states rights, my Liberal, fake Conservative friend.
    Last edited by danarhea; 02-26-11 at 02:17 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  4. #224
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    It's what's coming. All the arguments for gay marriage equally apply for polygamy.
    Actually, they do not. This is what we call false and a slippery slope fallacy, and a red herring.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #225
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The president did not declare the law unconstitutional.
    Until you can admit you're wrong here, there's really nothing else to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by President Obama's Statement
    The President has also concluded that Section 3 of DOMA, as applied to legally married same-sex couples, fails to meet that standard and is therefore unconstitutional.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #226
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Until you can admit you're wrong here, there's really nothing else to discuss.



    You do not understand what an opinion is? Can you show me where the president has the power to declare a law unconstitutional? Can you show me that since he has declared the law unconstitutional it is no longer on the books?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #227
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You do not understand what an opinion is? Can you show me where the president has the power to declare a law unconstitutional? Can you show me that since he has declared the law unconstitutional it is no longer on the books?
    Failing to enforce it has the same practical effect. The president shouldn't have the power to declare anything unconstitutional despite the fact that you'd obviously be perfectly ok with it.
    Last edited by X Factor; 02-26-11 at 02:37 PM.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  8. #228
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Failing to enforce it has the same practical effect. The president shouldn't have the power to declare anything unconstitutional despite the fact that you'd obviously be perfectly ok with it.
    He is not failing to enforce the law. Read the damn AG statement linked multiple times in this very thread where it specifically states the law will continue to be enforced.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #229
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,957
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Until you can admit you're wrong here, there's really nothing else to discuss.




    Dude, there is a difference between declaring an entire law unconstitutional and declaring part of a law unconstitutional
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  10. #230
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Dude, there is a difference between declaring an entire law unconstitutional and declaring part of a law unconstitutional
    Actually, it goes deeper than that. There is a difference between declaring a law unconstitutional and declaring that you will not defend the constitutionality of an unconstitutional law, although you will still continue to enforce it.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •