Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 301

Thread: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

  1. #211
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    If they are consenting adults, who's for you to say otherwise.

    The slippery slope argument always gives me a chuckle
    It's what's coming. All the arguments for gay marriage equally apply for polygamy.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #212
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am pretty indifferent myself. Not my cause. It's also a red herring as far as this discussion goes.
    No, it's not. None of you pro-gay marriage folks want to admit it. But the moment Gay Marriage goes legal someoen is gonna file for a multi-partner marriage and cite all the reasons for gay marriage.

    Society MUST have standards to exist, the more walls you tear down...
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  3. #213
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    No, it's not. None of you pro-gay marriage folks want to admit it. But the moment Gay Marriage goes legal someoen is gonna file for a multi-partner marriage and cite all the reasons for gay marriage.
    ....and this is a problem because.....? If they're all adults then who gives a ****, if a man wants to inflict terrible suffering on himself, then let him.
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  4. #214
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,936

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    No, it's not. None of you pro-gay marriage folks want to admit it. But the moment Gay Marriage goes legal someoen is gonna file for a multi-partner marriage and cite all the reasons for gay marriage.

    Society MUST have standards to exist, the more walls you tear down...
    Why must this particular wall exist?

  5. #215
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Obama: I only bother with laws that I like...
    Obama never said that he would not enforce the law. He only said that he would not defend the constitutionality of the law. There is a huge difference.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #216
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    No, it's not. None of you pro-gay marriage folks want to admit it. But the moment Gay Marriage goes legal someoen is gonna file for a multi-partner marriage and cite all the reasons for gay marriage.
    I have no problem with this.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Society MUST have standards to exist, the more walls you tear down...
    The more free they are? I have no problem with freedom.

    Let me ask you something MrVicchio,

    When Loving vs Virginia basically abolished all laws out lawing inter racial marriage do you think that someone said the same thing that you just said? I would bet that they did. Yet since Loving vs Virginia would you say that we have had MORE laws put into effect restricting us even more? Or do you think that "more walls have been torn down"? Or do you think that it is about equal?

    See it is a common mis-preconception that people that say what you do often have. That of "either/or". In reality the whole government/society is nothing more than one huge never ending cycle. You tear one part of it down and something else will be propped up in place of what you tore down. Sometimes you may tear down more than what you put up, other times you put up more than you tear down, still other times its on a roughly equal footing. In the end though, it all evens out.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #217
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I think I have. Maybe you need to expressly state your point.
    I already have stated it twice.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #218
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,709

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post


    Let me know when you can address the points i've repeatedly posted.
    DOMA is still law and is still being enforced. If I get a same-sex marriage certificate in one state and bring it to another, that state does not have to recognize it.

    Obama did not magically make the law unconstitutional. It's still in effect. What Obama is saying is that if it comes under challenge on a constitutional basis in front of SCOTUS, the administration has no argument with which to defend it because they don't see a constitutional grounds for doing so.

    On what constitutional basis would you defend DOMA? How do you see it as not violating the full faith and credit clause?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #219
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    DOMA is still law and is still being enforced. If I get a same-sex marriage certificate in one state and bring it to another, that state does not have to recognize it.

    Obama did not magically make the law unconstitutional. It's still in effect.
    You're correct and I have no issue with these statements.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    What Obama is saying is that if it comes under challenge on a constitutional basis in front of SCOTUS, the administration has no argument with which to defend it because they don't see a constitutional grounds for doing so.
    That may in fact be the intent - however this does not address any of my prior points.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    On what constitutional basis would you defend DOMA? How do you see it as not violating the full faith and credit clause?
    This is not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing the President is violating Article II Section III, that the President personally in a statement declared the DOMA law unconstitutional which is unprecidented. I would defend DOMA however necessary - as it is the law. If I were the Presiden I would not have made stupidly made such a comment read out by the AG, but would have worked within the Republic we have to over turn that law, instead of doing an end run.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #220
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    This is not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing the President is violating Article II Section III, that the President personally in a statement declared the DOMA law unconstitutional which is unprecidented. I would defend DOMA however necessary - as it is the law. If I were the Presiden I would not have made stupidly made such a comment read out by the AG, but would have worked within the Republic we have to over turn that law, instead of doing an end run.
    The president did not declare the law unconstitutional. The law is still in effect. He does not have the power to declare the law unconstitutional. What he did was offer an opinion on the law, which is perfectly within his rights. Now what part of your complaint has not been responded to?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •