Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 301

Thread: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

  1. #201
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You keep repeating the same tired stuff that has been refuted repeatedly in this thread. read the full text of Holder's comments. Read the other articles linked here. Just repeating the same false, refuted stuff again and again does not, and will not make it true.

    Hint: if Obama was declaring the law unconstitutional, why is it still the law of the land?
    And you are doing the same old schtick --- saying he didn't say what he said. I've refuted it repeatedly as well with the mans own words that you don't seem to believe. I read the entire text, and my position stands.
    You've provided no comparible president who declares any law unconstitutional in this same way, therefore it's unprecidented. The only text I need is the text I linked to which is the original text read out by Holder and the Constitution. You've not addressed any of the point, you just keep yammering away like a broken record. The man wrote what he wrote, said what he said and you're trying to convince me he didn't. Dunno what to tell ya.

    The law is still the law of the land because President Obama at least realizes that the other two branches of government will still recognize it as valid. His direction and actions taken because of his "opinion" as I've repeatedly said are a violation of Article II Section III which he is require to uphold as President. I've also repeatedly said this practice is wrong no matter who did it in the past and who does it in the future as it undermines our Republic, which you called "over the top" rhetoric I believe. This has more to do with his 2012 re-election kick off than anything else and it's still wrong no matter the reason. But keep telling me the sky is paisley - it's fun watching you rationalize.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #202
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Not necessarily, though largely true. Many laws are on the books that legislate morality.
    Every law is based on morality. "Fairness" and "protection" are the root of all law, and are clearly moral.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #203
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Presidents give their opinion on laws all the time and it's not a "refusal to defend" it's a "I have no argument with which to defend this law." You've been shown this repeatedly. At this point I start to wonder if you're deliberately dodging this.
    I've repeatedly show you Presidet Obama's own words as read by AG Holder - and you refuse to believe the mans own words. You therefore are ignoring the facts. I'll show this to you yet again. Why don't you believe the President? Do you believe he's lying?

    After careful consideration, including a review of my recommendation, the President has concluded that given a number of factors, including a documented history of discrimination, classifications based on sexual orientation should be subject to a more heightened standard of scrutiny. The President has also concluded that Section 3 of DOMA, as applied to legally married same-sex couples, fails to meet that standard and is therefore unconstitutional. Given that conclusion, the President has instructed the Department not to defend the statute in such cases. I fully concur with the President’s determination.

    Consequently, the Department will not defend the constitutionality of Section 3 of DOMA as applied to same-sex married couples in the two cases filed in the Second Circuit. We will, however, remain parties to the cases and continue to represent the interests of the United States throughout the litigation.
    What part of that is eluding you Deuce?
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #204
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    And you are doing the same old schtick --- saying he didn't say what he said. I've refuted it repeatedly as well with the mans own words that you don't seem to believe. I read the entire text, and my position stands.
    You've provided no comparible president who declares any law unconstitutional in this same way, therefore it's unprecidented. The only text I need is the text I linked to which is the original text read out by Holder and the Constitution. You've not addressed any of the point, you just keep yammering away like a broken record. The man wrote what he wrote, said what he said and you're trying to convince me he didn't. Dunno what to tell ya.

    The law is still the law of the land because President Obama at least realizes that the other two branches of government will still recognize it as valid. His direction and actions taken because of his "opinion" as I've repeatedly said are a violation of Article II Section III which he is require to uphold as President. I've also repeatedly said this practice is wrong no matter who did it in the past and who does it in the future as it undermines our Republic, which you called "over the top" rhetoric I believe. This has more to do with his 2012 re-election kick off than anything else and it's still wrong no matter the reason. But keep telling me the sky is paisley - it's fun watching you rationalize.
    Statement of the Attorney General on Litigation Involving the Defense of Marriage Act

    The Department has a longstanding practice of defending the constitutionality of duly-enacted statutes if reasonable arguments can be made in their defense. At the same time, the Department in the past has declined to defend statutes despite the availability of professionally responsible arguments, in part because – as here – the Department does not consider every such argument to be a “reasonable” one. Moreover, the Department has declined to defend a statute in cases, like this one, where the President has concluded that the statute is unconstitutional.
    Law.com - Government's 'Duty to Defend' Not a Given

    In 1992, back when Congress could occasionally agree on something, there was bipartisan anger over a beverage called Crazy Horse Malt Liquor because it insulted the memory of a Native American chief who happened to frown on alcohol.

    Congress quickly passed a law barring federal approval of any beer label that displayed the words "Crazy Horse." The brewer promptly sued, and not surprisingly a federal judge found the law unconstitutional under the First Amendment.

    When the question of whether to appeal the ruling in Hornell Brewing Co. v. Brady arose, then-Solicitor General Drew Days III decided it would be futile; the law was beyond rescue. "Congress seemed to accept the decision not to go forward," Days wrote later.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #205
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Why not support Polygamy, the only thing stopping it is morality. So Redress, you have a problem with 3 men marrying? What about 2 women and 4 men?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  6. #206
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,297
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Why not support Polygamy, the only thing stopping it is morality. So Redress, you have a problem with 3 men marrying? What about 2 women and 4 men?
    If they are consenting adults, who's for you to say otherwise.

    The slippery slope argument always gives me a chuckle

  7. #207
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Why not support Polygamy, the only thing stopping it is morality. So Redress, you have a problem with 3 men marrying? What about 2 women and 4 men?
    I am pretty indifferent myself. Not my cause. It's also a red herring as far as this discussion goes.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #208
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law



    Let me know when you can address the points i've repeatedly posted.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #209
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    I think I have. Maybe you need to expressly state your point.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #210
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Obama Administration Drops Defense of Anti-Gay Marriage Law

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Why not support Polygamy, the only thing stopping it is morality. So Redress, you have a problem with 3 men marrying? What about 2 women and 4 men?
    Seriously, I don't care. Really, as far as I'm concerned bigamy and polygamy should be perfectly legal between consenting adults. The government should not be telling its citizens who can and cannot legally marry. What the government can do is limit the number of spouse tax deductions that can be taken in any given household. Other than that, back the heck off.

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •