Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 203

Thread: Hero's unwelcome

  1. #101
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hero's unwelcome

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Oh, I certainly appreciate that they believe they are fighting for something as glorious as our freedom. I don't really care all that much what they believe. The fact is that since the Cold War they are nothing but tools. They fight for our continued economic and political supremacy and if it gives them a warm, glowly feeling to believe they are making the world a freer and better place by doing so, then all the better.
    They are no more tools than the person working 9 to 5 to create wealth for some corporation is a tool. They are no more tools than you or I are.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #102
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Hero's unwelcome

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    Persecution complex^

    We have plenty of conservative voices, speakers, and opinion on campuses. It's the stupid that isn't tolerated.
    No, I don't think so. I have not one, but two kids now in college, and see first hand the intolerance projected at them for their beliefs. The so called conservative voices on campus that I see, are either hassled on a weekly, or better basis, always under threat of pulling their ability to exist, or throngs of anti conservative students and prof's attend their events in hopes of shutting them down.

    No persecution to it, just reality my friend.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #103
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Hero's unwelcome

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    We glorify it so that we can entice the stupid young people in our country to go get shot at so that we can strip other countries of their natural resources. It's better to say they are heros fighting for freedom and to make the world a safer and more democratic place than tell them the truth that they are just pawns we use to enforce our political and economic agendas on the world.
    And just as easily your view encourages people to be pawns of the opposition. So I guess everyone's a pawn in the big game of things.
    The real issue, then, is "who do you want to be a pawn for. Those who will defend your rights or those who want to take them away?"

    Check-mate.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #104
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hero's unwelcome

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Bosnia? We lost what in that war; 12 people? Didn't we use Islamist groups to smuggle weapons to the Bosnian government forces? How did that turn out?

    The attack on 9/11? Tell me, did we ever kill the guy who orchestrated it? After conquering two countries did we ever get that Osama bin Laden guy?
    The goal of war is rarely to kill any one. That is merely a byproduct of the methods that have to be used. The goal in those cases are increased security, which is quite likely what we have achieved.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #105
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hero's unwelcome

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    They weren't drafted, they chose to enlist. They decided they wanted to put themselves in harms way and that they wanted to make themselves obedient. As such, they were rash and stupid, which I suppose you want to call "brave" because you feel you owe them some sort of debt. Really, they chose to be our tool to enforce our economic and political agendas on the world in order to maintain our supremacy.
    Are you stupid when you drive on the road? You chose to take a risk. Things are not nearly what you think they are. I have never seen such an ignorant wrong headed view of the world and our military as what you are posting here.

    Every action involves risks of some sort, frequently risks to life and health. People in the military chose that risk since they felt the reward was worth it. This is no different than a fireman accepting the risk to do his job, nor the person who commutes to work accepting the risk of the commute.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #106
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hero's unwelcome

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I have nothing against our military, I just see them for what they are.
    Incorrect. You have shown that you see them for what you wish them to be. Your view in fact has exactly zero basis in what they really are.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #107
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Hero's unwelcome

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    I fail to see what was so intellectual about the speaker. It's obvious this guy was laughed off stage and the NYpost saw an opportunity to sell some copies with smut to fuel the partisan divide. We don't even know what really happened but the jingo fever is starting to brew up in here.
    The purpose of the forum was to solicit views from the Columbia University community over whether the University should reinstate the ROTC program. It was not per se a rigidly intellectual exercise. It was an exercise in representative decision making. That, too, is a component of the intellectual experience that aims to prepare students for the roles they will later play in their careers, professions, and civil society.

    Part of any intellectual discourse is the ability to express and, yes "painful" as it might seem to some who are overconfident in the "correctness" of their views, listen to differing perspectives. Rather than heckling, the students had ample opportunity to step to the microphone afterward to counter the viewpoint. That would have been the proper and respectful approach. Unfortunately, that's not what happened.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Hero's unwelcome

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, I don't think so. I have not one, but two kids now in college, and see first hand the intolerance projected at them for their beliefs. The so called conservative voices on campus that I see, are either hassled on a weekly, or better basis, always under threat of pulling their ability to exist, or throngs of anti conservative students and prof's attend their events in hopes of shutting them down.

    No persecution to it, just reality my friend.


    j-mac
    When intellectual debates happen it tends to transcend the conservative liberal thingamabobber alot of people don't seem to be able to let go of. The philosophical positions can be laid bare without people freaking. What kind of events are they trying to 'shut down'? I go to a relatively conservative college.

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Hero's unwelcome

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    The purpose of the forum was to solicit views from the Columbia University community over whether the University should reinstate the ROTC program. It was not per se a rigidly intellectual exercise. It was an exercise in representative decision making. That, too, is a component of the intellectual experience that aims to prepare students for the roles they will later play in their careers, professions, and civil society.

    Part of any intellectual discourse is the ability to express and, yes "painful" as it might seem to some who are overconfident in the "correctness" of their views, listen to differing perspectives. Rather than heckling, the students had ample opportunity to step to the microphone afterward to counter the viewpoint. That would have been the proper and respectful approach. Unfortunately, that's not what happened.
    Sorry, that evil men that are evil because they just are and hate us because we are free as they plot to kill us everyday is absurd. Theres nothing intellectual about it and it received the natural and human reaction of absurd dismissal.

  10. #110
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Hero's unwelcome

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    Sorry, that evil men that are evil because they just are and hate us because we are free as they plot to kill us everyday is absurd. Theres nothing intellectual about it and it received the natural and human reaction of absurd dismissal.
    ^Lives in Denial

    So you deny that are people in the world that hate what the USA stands for and would love to see us fall?

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •