Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748
Results 471 to 477 of 477

Thread: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

  1. #471
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,725

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    [QUOTE=Boo Radley;1059339785]Overall, there is not a lot of violence. And there is not enough of the type that would require a gun that would justify the risk of a gun. There is a higher risk that with people bringing guns on campus that someone would get hurt than someone getting hurt without there being guns on campus. We know this because we know the accident statisitics with firearms, and the extremely low number of people being hurt on campus by actions that would require a gun.
    [/quiote]


    That is simply your opinion. Places that have higher CCW have lower crime, that is fact.

    You don't trust yourself, and you project that onto others, at thier peril.


    I'm sorry, but your statisitic is skewed. Someone saying they used it in self defense is not equal to proving it was used in self defense. There is almost no objective statisitics on a gun being used in self defense. The number you cite comes for a poll, which relies on the honesty of the person being polled, and their personal intepreptation of what is self defense.

    Guns are used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year—or about 6,850 times a day.1 This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives.2

    * Even anti-gun Clinton researchers concede that guns are used 1.5 million times annually for self-defense. According to the Clinton Justice Department, there are as many as 1.5 million cases of self-defense with a firearm every year. The National Institute of Justice published this figure in 1997 as part of "Guns in America"—a study which was authored by noted anti-gun criminologists Philip Cook and Jens Ludwig.3

    * Concealed carry laws have reduced murder and crime rates in the states that have enacted them. According to a comprehensive study which reviewed crime statistics in every county in the United States from 1977 to 1992, states which passed concealed carry laws reduced their rate of murder by 8.5%, rape by 5%, aggravated assault by 7% and robbery by 3%.4

    * Anti-gun journal pronounces the failure of the Brady law. One of the nation’s leading anti-gun medical publications, the Journal of the American Medical Association, found that the Brady registration law has failed to reduce murder rates. In August 2000, JAMA reported that states implementing waiting periods and background checks did "not [experience] reductions in homicide rates or overall suicide rates."5

    * Twice as many children are killed playing football in school than are murdered by guns. That’s right. Despite what media coverage might seem to indicate, there are more deaths related to high school football than guns. In a recent three year period, twice as many football players died from hits to the head, heat stroke, etc. (45), as compared with students who were murdered by firearms (22) during that same time period.6

    * More guns, less crime. In the decade of the 1990s, the number of guns in this country increased by roughly 40 million—even while the murder rate decreased by almost 40% percent.7 Accidental gun deaths in the home decreased by almost 40 percent as well.8

    * CDC admits there is no evidence that gun control reduces crime. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has long been criticized for propagating questionable studies which gun control organizations have used in defense of their cause. But after analyzing 51 studies in 2003, the CDC concluded that the "evidence was insufficient to determine the effectiveness of any of these [firearms] laws."9

    * Gun shows are NOT a primary source of illegal guns for criminals. According to two government studies, the National Institute of Justice reported in 1997 that "less than two percent [of criminals] reported obtaining [firearms] from a gun show."10 And the Bureau of Justice Statistics revealed in 2001 that less than one percent of firearm offenders acquired their weapons at gun shows.11

    * Several polls show that Americans are very pro-gun. Several scientific polls indicate that the right to keep and bear arms is still revered—and gun control disdained—by a majority of Americans today. To mention just a few recent polls:

    * In 2002, an ABC News poll found that almost three-fourths of the American public believe that the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution protects the rights of "individuals" to own guns.12

    * Zogby pollsters found that by a more than 3 to 1 margin, Americans support punishing "criminals who use a gun in the commission of a crime" over legislation to "ban handguns."13

    * A Research 2000 poll found that 85% of Americans would find it appropriate for a principal or teacher to use "a gun at school to defend the lives of students" to stop a school massacre.14

    * A study claiming "guns are three times more likely to kill you than help you" is a total fraud. Even using the low figures from the Clinton Justice Department, firearms are used almost 50 times more often to save life than to take life.15 More importantly, however, the figure claiming one is three times more likely to be killed by one’s own gun is a total lie:

    * Researcher Don Kates reveals that all available data now indicates that the "home gun homicide victims [in the flawed study] were killed using guns not kept in the victim's home."16

    * In other words, the victims were NOT murdered with their own guns! They were killed "by intruders who brought their own guns to the victim's household."17

    * Gun-free England not such a utopia after all. According to the BBC News, handgun crime in the United Kingdom rose by 40% in the two years after it passed its draconian gun ban in 1997.18 And according to a United Nations study, British citizens are more likely to become a victim of crime than are people in the United States. The 2000 report shows that the crime rate in England is higher than the crime rates of 16 other industrialized nations, including the United States.19


    GUN CONTROL FACT-SHEET (2004) - Gun Owners Of America



    I can only lead the hoplophobic to the truth, if you want to boo radley shuffle around it. It's almost quittin time.



    Now, as to you not understanding, as you throw out off the wall stuff that has nothing to do with the point being made or sometimes even the issue of discussion, I'm left to conclude you don't understand. if you really do understand, let me know by actually addressing the point. That would help both of us I would think.

    I think what would help at least one of us is the services of a medical professional to alieviate some of that anxiety one feels over an inanimate object, and to also address self esteem issues regarding thier ability to maintain self control if in possesion of a gun.


    Not when it elevates the risk for everyone else. Gun rights are not absolute, and restrictions of when and where you can carry them has been a part of law for a long time.

    What part of "shall not be infringed" gives you trouble. You have yet to prove it elevates risk.


    James posted them already. All you have to do is read them.

    I accept you were full of it and were trying to duck out of an uncomfortable situation, the boo radley shuffle.....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #472
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Places that have higher CCW have lower crime, that is fact.

    You don't trust yourself, and you project that onto others, at thier peril.
    Yeah, I remember when anti gun people used simplar statistic to show the Brady Bill was working. Both make a fundamental logical fallacy. it's called the causal relationship fallacy.


    Guns are used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year—or about 6,850 times a day.1 This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives.2

    http://url=http://gunowners.org/fs04...ers Of America
    Yes, I'm familiar with the progun site, but like above have explained the flaws in what you are presenting.



    I think what would help at least one of us is the services of a medical professional to alieviate some of that anxiety one feels over an inanimate object, and to also address self esteem issues regarding thier ability to maintain self control if in possesion of a gun.
    Or the irratinal belief that if solves all problems, or an emotaional attachment to an inanimate object. See, I can do that as well.




    What part of "shall not be infringed" gives you trouble. You have yet to prove it elevates risk.
    Well, the courts have repeatedly allowed regulation. Perhaps you don't understand the amendment as well as you think you do. Just saying . . .


    I accept you were full of it and were trying to duck out of an uncomfortable situation, the boo radley shuffle.....
    See what I mean, this has nothing to do with what was said. Read it again and try again:

    James posted them (the statisitics) already. All you have to do is read them.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #473
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,725

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yeah, I remember when anti gun people used simplar statistic to show the Brady Bill was working. Both make a fundamental logical fallacy. it's called the causal relationship fallacy.


    Yes, I'm familiar with the progun site, but like above have explained the flaws in what you are presenting.

    this is why you are a waste of time. each one of those points are sourced from places like the FBI, the CDC, and other government agencies, you see a pro gun sight that your daily kos can't counter and you close shop.



    Or the irratinal belief that if solves all problems, or an emotaional attachment to an inanimate object. See, I can do that as well.

    Except yours has no basis in fact. no where did I claim it was a guarantee, or that it solves all problems, nor have I shown an "emotaional"[sic] attachment to an inanimate object....


    nice strawman....



    Well, the courts have repeatedly allowed regulation. Perhaps you don't understand the amendment as well as you think you do. Just saying . . .

    or judges overstep thier authority when it comes to liberty based on the whining of hoplophobes who have no trust in thier own ability at self control and want to impose restrictions on those of us who do have said control to feel better about themselves.


    See what I mean, this has nothing to do with what was said. Read it again and try again:

    Boo Radley Shuffle... The avoidance dance.



    And what, no links to the statistics, shocking, I sooo expected you to make a rational argument and back it up... My bad.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #474
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    this is why you are a waste of time. each one of those points are sourced from places like the FBI, the CDC, and other government agencies, you see a pro gun sight that your daily kos can't counter and you close shop.
    No, not each one. Nor or the conclusions. The number of self defense, for example, comes from a poll, and not any objective information. And the evidence that having gun reduces crime is a subject as the evidence that gun control reduces crime, not something I claimed btw, so of no importance to or discussion.



    Except yours has no basis in fact. no where did I claim it was a guarantee, or that it solves all problems, nor have I shown an "emotaional"[sic] attachment to an inanimate object....
    Nor have I said I had any anxiety. It is the same.





    or judges overstep thier authority when it comes to liberty based on the whining of hoplophobes who have no trust in thier own ability at self control and want to impose restrictions on those of us who do have said control to feel better about themselves.
    That is your subjective personal opinion, but with all the challenges, the laws stand and have been upheld by and large. It is possible, just possible, you are wrong.




    Boo Radley Shuffle... The avoidance dance.

    And what, no links to the statistics, shocking, I sooo expected you to make a rational argument and back it up... My bad.
    More your suffle as the stats have already been posted. Go back and read.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #475
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,725

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, not each one. Nor or the conclusions. The number of self defense, for example, comes from a poll, and not any objective information. And the evidence that having gun reduces crime is a subject as the evidence that gun control reduces crime, not something I claimed btw, so of no importance to or discussion.

    Step one of a boo radley shuffle, cherrypick one item in a list and poo poo it disregarding all the other available data....



    Nor have I said I had any anxiety. It is the same.
    Step two of the boo radley shuffle, make an absurd claim, then when it's pointed out, take an obvious real position, and claim it as the same....


    That is your subjective personal opinion, but with all the challenges, the laws stand and have been upheld by and large. It is possible, just possible, you are wrong.
    Step 3 of a boo radley shuffle, go completley ambiguous to sound like you are saying something when your not, dilute the topic so your the weak points your making disapear into obscurity..






    More your suffle as the stats have already been posted. Go back and read.
    Step 4 of a boo radley shuffle, try to make the other poster "go fish" to avoid proving any point you are trying to make....



    Repeat ad nauseum.....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #476
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again, you miss the point and leap to the obvious. gravity is everywhere. Guns are not. Gravity can't be avoided esily. Guns can be. Apples to tree frogs is not a good comparison, and I'm not comparing anything. Guns on their own present a greater risk when there are more of them than when there are less. Do you really dispute that?
    Guns are all over the place, particularly in the hands of criminals. And yes, I do really dispute your claim. There are so many guns in our society alreayd that slightly more or slightly less is not going to have a significant impact. It's really like you can't understand statistics in the least. And that is why you fail.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #477
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It's really like you can't understand statistics in the least. And that is why you fail.
    The only time he supports statistics is if it supports his anti-2nd amendment position.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •