Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 477

Thread: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

  1. #381
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Firearms (Total)*

    Suicides 16,586
    Homicides 10,801
    Accidents 776

    Source GOA fact sheet.





    Your story seems highly unlikley.
    I'm sure gun owners are completely objective; however, lets see what some others say:

    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated 52,447 deliberate and 23,237 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries in the United States during 2000.[4]

    Gun violence in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The rate for firearm-related deaths among children in the United States (1.66) was 2.7-fold greater than that in the country with the next highest rate (Finland, 0.62) (Figure_1). Except for rates for firearm-related suicide in Northern Ireland and firearm-related fatalities of unknown intent in Austria, Belgium, and Israel, rates for all types of firearm-related deaths were higher in the United States than in the other countries. However, among all other countries, the impact of firearm-related deaths varied substantially. For example, five countries, including three of the four countries in Asia, reported no firearm-related deaths among children. In comparison, firearms were the primary cause of homicide in Finland, Israel, Australia, Italy, Germany, and England and Wales. Five countries (Denmark, Ireland, New Zealand, Scotland, and Taiwan) reported only unintentional firearm-related deaths.

    Rates of Homicide, Suicide, and Firearm-Related Death Among Children -- 26 Industrialized Countries

    But research shows that surprisingly often, gun owners use the weapons on themselves.

    Read more: Gun owners more often kill themselves than others - The Denver Post Gun owners more often kill themselves than others - The Denver Post
    Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: Terms of Use - The Denver Post

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #382
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,272

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus



    Gun Control


    In 2007, there were roughly 15,698 emergency room visits for non-fatal firearm accidents,[123] constituting 0.05% of 27.7 million emergency room visits for non-fatal accidents that year.[124]



    * These emergency room visits for non-fatal firearm accidents resulted in 5,045 hospitalizations,[125] constituting 0.4% of 1.4 million non-fatal accident hospitalizations that year.[126]





    You claim you saw more gun accidents than homicide or aggravated assaults....


    I don't believe you.




    Your spinning of facts won't change this.


    There are under 1000 kids killed by accidental gun shots.... Buckets of water are far more dangerous. But lets get back to your claim.


    How many total firearms accidents did you roll out on?
    Last edited by ReverendHellh0und; 03-04-11 at 12:34 PM.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #383
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I admit fireworks annoy me, and don't go to see them, because if you've seen one, you've seen them all. But I never did anything to limit fireworks.
    No, but it's the attitude which took them away. People saying "oh this or that may happen. These are unnecessary risks, we have to protect the children" blah blah blah crap. The same type of overreacting tripe you've been spewing this entire thread. Every once is awhile a kid looses a finger. But that teaches the lesson of not holding onto the M-80 after you light it (you can't get M-80's anymore). Every once in awhile, someone gets popped in they eye with a bottle rocket (wear goggles when you have a bottle rocket war). **** happens. But because we have all this overconcern, all this overreaction, all this loss of logic and rationale; we've come to a place where all we can do is restrict. You can't have X because of Y you can't do A because of B. The only result is that over time we become less free, even less free in our forms of entertainment. You know how much trouble you get into these days for a 2-L bottle, a little Drain-O and a small amount of aluminum foil? Man, they throw your ass in jail for that now adays.

    I think it's important for us to understand the consequences of our actions and the aggregated effects our overreaching attitudes can take us these days. The goal is more freedom; not less.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    And keep in mind, guns are not in everyday use like cars are. This is important. Do you really believe if more people had guns there wouldn't be an increase in accidents?
    Guns are in everyday use. Quite often infact. And not just the military or police; lots of regular folk use lots of varying guns every single day.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    So, to recap, guns are not an insurance policy that protects us from injury. We can agree on that, right?
    Not all injury, no. But they can give us defense against aggressive acts against our rights and liberties.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #384
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post


    Gun Control


    In 2007, there were roughly 15,698 emergency room visits for non-fatal firearm accidents,[123] constituting 0.05% of 27.7 million emergency room visits for non-fatal accidents that year.[124]



    * These emergency room visits for non-fatal firearm accidents resulted in 5,045 hospitalizations,[125] constituting 0.4% of 1.4 million non-fatal accident hospitalizations that year.[126]





    You claim you saw more gun accidents than homicide or aggravated assaults....


    I don't believe you.




    Your spinning of facts won't change this.


    There are under 1000 kids killed by accidental gun shots.... Buckets of water are far more dangerous. But lets get back to your claim.


    How many total firearms accidents did you roll out on?
    I already told him gravity takes more than accidental shootings. It apparently doesn't matter. All these things which are higher risks in my life for injury/death don't matter. I have to apparently be worried about the incredibly small percentage of students who would carry concealed on a campus if they choose to. I'm not sure why at this point as it will functionally have no effect on any real world dynamic. But that's what I'm apparently supposed to be worried about so much so that I'd excuse government force against the free exercise of a right.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #385
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,272

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I already told him gravity takes more than accidental shootings. It apparently doesn't matter. All these things which are higher risks in my life for injury/death don't matter. I have to apparently be worried about the incredibly small percentage of students who would carry concealed on a campus if they choose to. I'm not sure why at this point as it will functionally have no effect on any real world dynamic. But that's what I'm apparently supposed to be worried about so much so that I'd excuse government force against the free exercise of a right.


    like you said, not worth the time.....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #386
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    No, but it's the attitude which took them away. I think it's important for us to understand the consequences of our actions and the aggregated effects our overreaching attitudes can take us these days. The goal is more freedom; not less.
    I don't buy that. Reasonable thought and actions are not an infringment of freedom.

    As to you and Rev's constant misreading of what is being said, it does not matter at all if somethings are a greater or lesser risk. It has to do with needless risk. Doing something with risk that is needed is one thing. Doing something that isn't is another. Can't do a thing about gravity. Cars are a needed part of life today, much like guns were back in the day. But there is no need for a gun at school, and as such a needless risk. A stupid risk.
    Guns are in everyday use. Quite often infact. And not just the military or police; lots of regular folk use lots of varying guns every single day.
    No, not that often. Most people live just fine witho out them.

    Not all injury, no. But they can give us defense against aggressive acts against our rights and liberties.
    Can't defend yourself without one, you're nto likely to do so with one. it is after all just a tool and not capable of replacing a good mind.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #387
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,272

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't buy that. Reasonable thought and actions are not an infringment of freedom.

    As to you and Rev's constant misreading of what is being said, it does not matter at all if somethings are a greater or lesser risk. It has to do with needless risk. Doing something with risk that is needed is one thing. Doing something that isn't is another. Can't do a thing about gravity. Cars are a needed part of life today, much like guns were back in the day. But there is no need for a gun at school, and as such a needless risk. A stupid risk.


    No, not that often. Most people live just fine witho out them.



    Can't defend yourself without one, you're nto likely to do so with one. it is after all just a tool and not capable of replacing a good mind.

    Tell that to the victims of columbine, Vtech, etc...


    btw you never addressed my question. As an administrator, since you won't allow students to protect themselves, are you then responsible if a gunman starts shooting up your campus?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #388
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Tell that to the victims of columbine, Vtech, etc...


    btw you never addressed my question. As an administrator, since you won't allow students to protect themselves, are you then responsible if a gunman starts shooting up your campus?
    Well, professionals in the field have, as they ahve stated that armed students would likely make things worse and not save anyone.

    It seems like a stupid question, but yes, reasonable precautions have been taken, and a plan is in place, worked out by experts and the police as the best and safest way to tackle the problem. Fear can make anyone an idiot. It is best to tackle these thigns logically and not out of fear.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #389
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,272

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Well, professionals in the field have, as they ahve stated that armed students would likely make things worse and not save anyone.

    Likely not save anyone?

    please link to evidence of this. thanks.



    It seems like a stupid question, but yes, reasonable precautions have been taken, and a plan is in place, worked out by experts and the police as the best and safest way to tackle the problem. Fear can make anyone an idiot. It is best to tackle these thigns logically and not out of fear.

    Any "idiot" can see that not having a gun in a gun fight, is well "idiotic".....


    If it's a stupid question, then why have "Campus police", and other armed folks, that when seconds count are only minutes away.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #390
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Likely not save anyone?

    please link to evidence of this. thanks.
    Do notice the word likely. But here:

    Campus-safety officials echo Meadows's concerns, saying they'd rather deal with a single shooter than a full-blown gun battle. "There's no credible evidence to suggest allowing students to carry concealed weapons makes campuses safer," says Christopher Blake, a director at the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators. "We're very much opposed to these initiatives." Gun-control advocates also point to research suggesting student gun owners are more likely to binge-drink and use illegal drugs. "It's a recipe for disaster," says Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "The more guns you bring on to campus, the more gun violence you're going to have."

    Should Students Be Allowed to Carry Guns? - Newsweek

    Reason #3. Arming Students Would Not Deter the Rare Campus Shooting

    Suicidal attackers cannot be deterred. The perpetrators of mass shootings are nearly always suicidal, and end up taking their own lives at the end of their rampages. Armed students would likely become the first targets of any suicidal attackers, who can prepare for such an attack by maximizing their firepower. For example, a crazed gunman who attacked a city council outside St. Louis, Missouri, in March 2008, first shot and killed two armed police officers before continuing his rampage. He even used one of the officer's guns in furthering his attack.

    Keep Guns Off Campus - Campaign to keep our Colleges and Universities Safer and Gun Free

    What a misguided idea: Maybe another student with a gun "could have stopped Seung-hui Cho's rampage" at Virginia Tech, says the Los Angeles Times in an editorial. But guns aren't just "tools of self-defense;" they are "also tools of suicide, accidental shootings, intimidation, and murder." Colleges are rife with drug abuse, "romantic entanglements," and academic pressure. "Adding firearms to this volatile mix is a spectacularly bad idea."

    Should college kids in Texas be armed on campus? - The Week

    Any "idiot" can see that not having a gun in a gun fight, is well "idiotic".....


    If it's a stupid question, then why have "Campus police", and other armed folks, that when seconds count are only minutes away.
    Generally speaking, there are no gun fights at school to come to, at elast not until too many are amred.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •