Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 477

Thread: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

  1. #351
    Student Iron River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    09-16-17 @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    254

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Wait...so your contention is that on campus, in class adults who choose to carry a weapon will be playing with it?
    I must admit that due to an error by my father I spent some of my military service as an Air Force security guard on a SAC base. Because I was an NCO I carried a side arm - 38 special revolver – every day. I would load at the barrel and then get in my truck and unload. Then I would reload at quitting time so that I could unload at the barrel. At night I would make my rounds – give coffee to the dog handlers – plot the parked air craft – etc and then go out to the bomb dump to BS with those guys. I parked out front and went through the small security gates and when I knocked on the door to the office one of the guys would jerk the door open and I would draw my pistol on the complotter. It was always close and we were both pretty fast. Then, one night, I pulled my pistol and found myself pointing my gun at my boss’s head. He had come in through the big gates and parked behind the building. The guys all but fell on the floor laughing as I stood there in shock until I realized that my boss was asleep in a chair in front of the door. I put my gun away, cursed them all to hell and left. They laughed about that for months.

  2. #352
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's not true. I teach and have taught at that level and they are not allowed in class. They are turned off and put away. Now, the phone function has a purpose, so they are allowed on campus, but not for use in the classroom.

    This is a popular video among college professors:

    Mad Professor Smashes Cell Phone





    If you asked me to turn my phone "off", in your class, I'd politley decline. I'd be happy to set it on vibrate, but off? Sorry, I am much too important for such a request...


    that said, if a Vtech type killer came into your class, you would not only not be able to shoot him, but all your students would be shot trying to get thier iphones to boot. Now thats some special kinda logic you have there.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #353
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    If you asked me to turn my phone "off", in your class, I'd politley decline. I'd be happy to set it on vibrate, but off? Sorry, I am much too important for such a request...


    that said, if a Vtech type killer came into your class, you would not only not be able to shoot him, but all your students would be shot trying to get thier iphones to boot. Now thats some special kinda logic you have there.
    Professionals do not believe students being armed wiould stop such shootings, or even limit the damage. And those who are chraged with helping colleges specifically are against it.

    As for vibrate, I migth live with that, but you would not be on your phone talkign or playing games and stay in my class.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #354
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Professionals do not believe students being armed wiould stop such shootings, or even limit the damage. And those who are chraged with helping colleges specifically are against it.
    What about teachers, given your refusal to allow the students the right to carry in case of a self defense need, you bear the responsibility for thier safety, should you not then be armed incase of a Vtech type shooter, or other instance?



    As for vibrate, I migth live with that, but you would not be on your phone talkign or playing games and stay in my class.

    Honestly I would probably be asleep in your class, if I didn't drop it..... you bore the hell out of me....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #355
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    I've never turned my cell off for class. People can't get a hold of me if it's off.

    ppl no teh best way 2 talk 2 me is via txt, cuz im not alwayz in a sitiation whr i cn tlk. i set teh fone 2 vib, i look at a txt n /ignor if whatever or reply if impt.
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-03-11 at 04:37 PM.

  6. #356
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    What about teachers, given your refusal to allow the students the right to carry in case of a self defense need, you bear the responsibility for thier safety, should you not then be armed incase of a Vtech type shooter, or other instance?
    No one needs to be armed. This is something rare, very, very rare, and being armed would not likely stop it. Besides, I work withy professors and you really don't want these people with guns. Seriously, you don't.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #357
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's not true. I teach and have taught at that level and they are not allowed in class. They are turned off and put away. Now, the phone function has a purpose, so they are allowed on campus, but not for use in the classroom.

    This is a popular video among college professors:

    Mad Professor Smashes Cell Phone

    That's not the way it goes in actual University, however. Sorry to burst your bubble. People play games, they facebook, they twitter, they text, etc. all through out class.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #358
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No one needs to be armed. This is something rare, very, very rare, and being armed would not likely stop it. Besides, I work withy professors and you really don't want these people with guns. Seriously, you don't.
    I work with professors too. I don't care if any of them are armed. Maybe no one "needs" to be armed, but it is their right to be so they can choose to arm themselves if they wish to. It's a right, not a privilege. There is a large difference between "doesn't need" and "can".
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #359
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I work with professors too. I don't care if any of them are armed. Maybe no one "needs" to be armed, but it is their right to be so they can choose to arm themselves if they wish to. It's a right, not a privilege. There is a large difference between "doesn't need" and "can".
    No, I don't believe it is their right. I don't believe the right is absolute. And past rulings have stated as much.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #360
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That's not the way it goes in actual University, however. Sorry to burst your bubble. People play games, they facebook, they twitter, they text, etc. all through out class.
    Then shame on them and their professors. Money and time is being wasted.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •