Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 477

Thread: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

  1. #311
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    UofC?

    I was going to look up their actual policy.
    Colorado State University. In CO in general, CCW are allowed on campus. For a University to change that, they have to file themselves under...I don't know all the details. But CCW is allowed and for it not to be allowed the school has to file special. I think CU doesn't allow it; but they're a bunch of stoners anyway.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #312
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    As I have said before, it's a logic problem and not one to link to anything. As we ahve not had guns on campus, there will have been no studies. But, that doesn't mean we can't think and make reasonable assumptions based on the information we do have of the population we're speaking of.
    You can, but in the end you're dealing with rights; not parking. And because it is rights and because it is the use of government force against the free exercise of those rights; you must have more than assumption and supposition. And as I've stated before, there are Universities which do allow guns on campus, you can look at them to see how much of an actual problem it really is. (pssst....it's not).
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #313
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I respect you for a lot of reasons, but I just don't buy all of that. Guns are in and of themselfs a risk. We ahve the numbers of how often people shoot themselves. It's a fair number. Add to a population less likley to make great decisions, and you increase the risk. We don't live in the frontier anymore. The need for the tool is far less than it was when this country was first forming. In fact, most of the reasons for the 2nd amendment no longer exist. So, while I'm against any complete ban on guns, we an still exercise good sense and not have too many folks running around with guns where they are not needed.
    Guns are in and of themselves a risk. We've allowed that. We've come from a principled stance and decided that free was the way we wanted to go, and to ensure that there had to be precautions built in so that the people could never be fully dominated by the State. As such, we have guns. By allowing guns we get a certain amount of gun crime. Murder, accidental shooting (which is actually lower than death by gravity), certain violent crimes, etc. We've already accepted the risk when we decided to be free. That's what I'm saying here. You want to servo a zero factor; you're not going to affect our actual risks in any measurable way by allowing or disallowing guns on University. Since the University student is an adult, and since there won't be any measurable affect on our risk factors beyond that which we've already accepted; there is no just reason to infringe upon the exercise of the right in this case.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #314
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    preposterous
    let me see if I can demonstrate. Here's some research:

    More than 98 percent of convicted felons are bread eaters. And More than 90 percent of violent crimes are committed within 24 hours of eating bread.

    Those are true statisitics. What do they mean? That bread causes people to commit felons?

    How about this:

    Fully HALF of all children who grow up in bread-consuming households score below average on standardized tests.

    That's data. So, now not only does bread lead to a life of crime, but it makes you stupid. Why do we allow anyone to eat bread?

    How about this:

    In the 18th century, when virtually all bread was baked in the home, the average life expectancy was less than 50 years; infant mortality rates were unacceptably high; many women died in childbirth; and diseases such as typhoid, yellow fever and influenza ravaged whole nations.

    Wow, it also makes people sick. Damn that bread!!!!!


    I wish I made up these statisitcs or the example of the stupidity of reseach without reasoning, but I didn't. I'm sure you can do a quick search on the dangers of bread. Debate is not just about links. Yes, you want to support your argument, but you can do that in more than one way. Links come in when you question the factual information. if the argument is one of reasoning, you have to tackle the reasoning.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #315
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Guns are in and of themselves a risk. We've allowed that. We've come from a principled stance and decided that free was the way we wanted to go, and to ensure that there had to be precautions built in so that the people could never be fully dominated by the State. As such, we have guns. By allowing guns we get a certain amount of gun crime. Murder, accidental shooting (which is actually lower than death by gravity), certain violent crimes, etc. We've already accepted the risk when we decided to be free. That's what I'm saying here. You want to servo a zero factor; you're not going to affect our actual risks in any measurable way by allowing or disallowing guns on University. Since the University student is an adult, and since there won't be any measurable affect on our risk factors beyond that which we've already accepted; there is no just reason to infringe upon the exercise of the right in this case.
    I understand the thinking, but guns will not prevent the state from dominating you. You'll best have a plan B. But I simply disagree. Sooner or later somoeone will make a poor decision with a weapon on campus, and your side will feel the heat. And you will lose. MAD showed us the power of a mother concerned. And as you will have no support from schools or the police, and I suspect your side is even a minority nationally, it just isn't goning to end well for your wants.

    I know you disagree, and for the life of me I can't understand anyone wanting a weapon on campus. It is simply an unnecessary risk, no matter how small. it's not like driving a car, which serves a needed purpose. It's completely unnecessary.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #316
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I understand the thinking, but guns will not prevent the state from dominating you. You'll best have a plan B. But I simply disagree. Sooner or later somoeone will make a poor decision with a weapon on campus, and your side will feel the heat. And you will lose. MAD showed us the power of a mother concerned. And as you will have no support from schools or the police, and I suspect your side is even a minority nationally, it just isn't goning to end well for your wants.

    I know you disagree, and for the life of me I can't understand anyone wanting a weapon on campus. It is simply an unnecessary risk, no matter how small. it's not like driving a car, which serves a needed purpose. It's completely unnecessary.
    MADD is a ridiculous propaganda campaign aimed at prohibition. They can take a long walk off a short pier for all I'm concerned.

    Both the school and the police support our ability to carry concealed. It has not been an issue. For the life of me I can't understand anyone wanting to infringe upon the exercise of a right when that exercise does nothing to our overall risks and probabilities. We're build on this notion that the individual must be free to exercise their rights at their leisure. You say why would someone want a weapon on campus. The answer is clear. Because I want to and because it's my right to. That's it. Done and done. It's not unnecessary risk as IT DOES NOT ACTUALLY INCREASE RISK FACTORS.

    I'd rather be free and accept all the consequences and risks which come along with that then to be restricted and "safe".
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #317
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    More than 98 percent of convicted felons are bread eaters. And More than 90 percent of violent crimes are committed within 24 hours of eating bread.

    Those are true statisitics. What do they mean? That bread causes people to commit felons?

    and just who have you been "debating" who claims that eating bread causes crime

    LOL!

    argument and debate don't require data or research---preposterous

  8. #318
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It is simply an unnecessary risk, no matter how small. It's completely unnecessary.
    says the person who pastes links from david vines, journolist and comedy central

    to back up his "reasoning"

    LOL!

  9. #319
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    MADD is a ridiculous propaganda campaign aimed at prohibition. They can take a long walk off a short pier for all I'm concerned.

    Both the school and the police support our ability to carry concealed. It has not been an issue. For the life of me I can't understand anyone wanting to infringe upon the exercise of a right when that exercise does nothing to our overall risks and probabilities. We're build on this notion that the individual must be free to exercise their rights at their leisure. You say why would someone want a weapon on campus. The answer is clear. Because I want to and because it's my right to. That's it. Done and done. It's not unnecessary risk as IT DOES NOT ACTUALLY INCREASE RISK FACTORS.

    I'd rather be free and accept all the consequences and risks which come along with that then to be restricted and "safe".
    What you think of them is not the point. They were effective. And I never used the word increased. I said it was an unnecessary risk, one in which there is no purpose or need for.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #320
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    let me see if I can demonstrate. Here's some research:
    As they say on Wikipedia, "citation needed".

Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •