Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 477

Thread: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    They have to be 21 and have training. Lots of other things can disqualify them too.
    In SD, if you are in such a party, get drunk, get in a fight, and get convicted of any number of domestic disturbance/assault charges, you loose your CCW and ability to perches pistols forever.

    This means that most individuals who are the ones likely to pull a gun in anger are either already disqualified or soon will be.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    The 18 year old with a missile in a combat zone can be trusted because he's had training.
    So you might make an exception if the individual can also produce a military ID?

    How is it that I, 32 y/o soldier, lawful CCW holder, and collage student, am somehow a risk to your safety if I have a weapon? Are you just as afraid of me when we walk by each-other in Walmart?

  3. #23
    Student
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    04-11-11 @ 09:43 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    295

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Gun control simply limits access for citizens to get legal weapons. A criminal, as a rule, doesn't fill out paperwork in order to acquire a firearm.

  4. #24
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by LookingGlass View Post
    What a confused position to have. Citing the illegal consumption of alcohol by underage persons as a reason to limit legal access to firearms is just silly. How about enforcing drinking rules and or laws on the books at the respective Universities.
    OK, get back to me when you've done that, then we'll talk about guns. Until then, let's be pragmatic. I think it's better if drunk college kids WEREN'T carrying guns when they decide to get in fights with each other.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #25
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If liquor is not allowed on campus and they choose to drink, **** them, expel them. I have no sympathy.
    Whether you have sympathy for them or not, the fact remains that there is a lot of drinking on college campuses. If you actually care about that, then work on stamping out THAT problem before you put guns in their hands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    You are not allowing an adult, who can lawfully carry anywhere else, from defending themselves.
    Depends on where you are. Lots of state have laws against carrying firearms near bars or clubs, for much the same reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    You are in fact violating their right to bodily sovereignty by compromising their personnel security. This is exactly the same as not allowing combat of any kind, even if you are defending yourself. Exactly the same in every respect. "Oh, we can't let you know or learn a martial art because students drink and you might get into a fight and hurt or kill someone". Exact same thing.
    Yeah, except from a pragmatic standpoint you can't ban KNOWLEDGE, or make them unlearn martial arts. You can ban ITEMS like guns.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    You have zero evidence demonstrating that more guns = more crime, whereas I have a mountain of evidence to the contrary.
    And when you find someone who wants to argue for that particular straw man, you'll be prepared.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 02-20-11 at 11:40 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #26
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by LookingGlass View Post
    Gun control simply limits access for citizens to get legal weapons. A criminal, as a rule, doesn't fill out paperwork in order to acquire a firearm.
    There was a study that found that something like 49% of guns used in violent crime had been legally purchased and local(I think this was in Mass). When attempts have been made to make reporting of lost or stolen guns compulsory, the NRA and pro-gun people have opposed it. They've also made it hard to create tracing systems on guns. So I don't feel bad if people who pay for membership in these groups have a hard time filling out paperwork.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #27
    Advisor Midwest Lib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    512

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    I have a mixed view on gun control in general.

    I ran across this link the other day, and I thought it brought up some interesting points.

    PolitiFact | Frank Lautenberg says U.S. has 9,500 gun murders a year, compared to 200 or less in other nations

    I think this fact check leaves out a few things that I think make a huge difference in this debate.

    Another thing this leaves out is the gun culture that America has. Given our second amendment rights, firearms have always been prevalent. Because of this, I believe a gun ban would be ineffective in the same way I find prohibition to be ineffective. Gun ownership is engrained so deeply into our national identity. Any time you try to take it away, it punishes adults by not allowing them to make personal choices, while putting money into the pockets of criminals.

    Essentially I am against guns and do believe they lead to violence in general, but due to the prevalent gun culture in America, personal gun ownership has proven to be beneficial to the average citizen.

  8. #28
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,590
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    They're the same age as professional soldiers. Once a person becomes an adult, we have to accept that they are responsible for their own behavior.
    If they have the same training as professional soldiers, I'm cool with it. But having every 18-19 yr old on campus carry a piece in his/her backpack is enough to make me wary. The professors and administrators, sure... but again, there should be a licensing process for concealed weapons that assures everyone who carries one knows how to use it.

  9. #29
    Advisor Arcadius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somewhere far away.
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    390

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    I know people are just going to call me a dirty liberal hippie who hates America, and most likely has a vagina for thinking this but... Am I the only one who thinks violence can't be solved by the timeless American problem solver, more guns? Maybe we need to raise awareness of the precursors of these violent tendencies. Maybe we need to educate parents and teachers on paying more attention to their children and students. Better yet we should require such competence in both. Maybe we need to put more effort into studying our prisoners so we can better learn more about what causes this behavior, and how to stop this behavior before it starts.

    And regarding violent crimes done by the more right-minded... Maybe we should put more focus into our education system to make choices other than crime more accessible to the lower class, and maybe we should make inner-city schools that look less like fortresses, it's not very good for the learning environment. Maybe we should put more effort into rehabilitating communities, so that crime and violence aren't a constant environment for young minds. Or maybe we just need more guns.
    Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.~ Ernest Hemingway

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Have you guys been on a college campus recently? Specifically a non-commuter school with a large student population living on campus? Maybe this comes as a shock to some people, but college students like to drink alcohol...a lot. And at that age, they're often relatively new to alcohol and don't know their limits. Do you really want people to have guns in close proximity after they've just consumed 8 beers and are acting belligerent?
    Relatively new? Yeah...I guess vs a 51 year old they would be "relatively new". I personally don't know of a single kid that hasn't drank alcohol by the time they are 16-17 years old.

    Now be that as it may, yes college's are notorious for partying and drinking. But irregardless of that they are still adults. With all the rights there of. What is actually idiotic about this is that at one point in time high schoolers use to bring guns to school every single day. No one even looked twice or cared.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •