Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 477

Thread: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

  1. #241
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Fear them? A reasonable respect. Guns are a tool with a purpose. There is no purpose for one on campus.
    Says you, you have still not proven it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #242
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    It's Maslow's, and I probably read it before you were born. If you're going to try to show off your knowlege at least spell it right.
    Yes, there was a typo. **** happens.

    I was born in 1958; you?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #243
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Fear them? A reasonable respect. Guns are a tool with a purpose. There is no purpose for one on campus.
    Self-defense isn't a good enough reason?
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  4. #244
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Says you, you have still not proven it.
    By all means, tell me the purpose. Where will you use the tool on campus.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #245
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    Self-defense isn't a good enough reason?
    You expecting a gun fight on campus? Seriously? I taught at the second most violent campus in America according to one study, and never needed a gun. Don't know anyone who did.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #246
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Tell that to a few dozen dead VA Tech students who might have liked to have had a better chance of defending themselves.



    Are you trying to say that a need for armed self-defense NEVER occurs on ANY campus?
    People on your own side of this admit students being armed wouldn't have stopped that, and one police chief said students being armed would hinder them in such a situation.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #247
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    I give up... isnt this all just to get people to buy more guns?

  8. #248
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    People on your own side of this admit students being armed wouldn't have stopped that, and one police chief said students being armed would hinder them in such a situation.
    Don't put words in "my side's" mouth. An armed citizen always has the potential to put a stop to a situation such as VA tech. You're ignoring a legitimate reason to be armed on campus: self-defense. Completely aside from high-profile things like the VA shootings, there are large numbers of rapes and other assualts on college campuses.

    Fight the trend if you wish; you're on the losing side. Americans like concealed carry and it is only going to grow from here.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #249
    Advisor LimeLight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    01-15-12 @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    343

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    People on your own side of this admit students being armed wouldn't have stopped that, and one police chief said students being armed would hinder them in such a situation.
    So you teaching at a school and a police chief's opinion prove your argument and that self-defense doesn't justify the protection of a students constitutional right?
    I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

    Umberto Eco

  10. #250
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Don't put words in "my side's" mouth. An armed citizen always has the potential to put a stop to a situation such as VA tech. You're ignoring a legitimate reason to be armed on campus: self-defense. Completely aside from high-profile things like the VA shootings, there are large numbers of rapes and other assualts on college campuses.

    Fight the trend if you wish; you're on the losing side. Americans like concealed carry and it is only going to grow from here.
    They also have the potential to make things worse. Weapons are not magic. And this isn't the old west. And no, I don't think weapons are need on campus for self defense. And I think most police agree with me on that. The police who trained us here said hell no. And I linked one to explain why.

    American's like guns, and they do have a very skewed view of them. That's true. But that doesn't make them correct. Weapons are no more than a tool, and offer little in terms of safety. We shoot ourselves more than anything else, and we're just not very good with them.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •