Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 477

Thread: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

  1. #231
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I can see a single reason why that would bother you. I seldom bring my hammer with me everywhere. And no, students don't need them in the parking lot. Millions go to class each day and never need anything of the kind. This world isn't quite that dangerous. Sometimes all we fear is fear itself. If you can't get to class without a fire arm, you have problems your firearm won't handle.
    And you fear firearms. Not because they will do anything wrong, but because they are there. That is quite evident. So who's "fear" are we supposed to listen to? The one who brings a gun because he feels he should be entitled to exercise his rights, or the one who fears others exercising their rights?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #232
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I can see a single reason why that would bother you. I seldom bring my hammer with me everywhere. And no, students don't need them in the parking lot. Millions go to class each day and never need anything of the kind. This world isn't quite that dangerous. Sometimes all we fear is fear itself. If you can't get to class without a fire arm, you have problems your firearm won't handle.
    People say that I carry a gun because I'm paranoid. That's preposterous; if I have a gun, what is there to be afraid of?

  3. #233
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Boo and Ikari, your utilitarian argument is pointless. It doesn't matter because gun ownership is a fundamental right.

    It is truly irrelevant whether or not exercising the right to gun ownership is dangerous. Of course it's dangerous to own a gun. But it is, and this cannot be stressed enough, a fundamental right.

    Boo, do you know what a fundamental right is?

  4. #234
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Boo and Ikari, your utilitarian argument is pointless. It doesn't matter because gun ownership is a fundamental right.

    It is truly irrelevant whether or not exercising the right to gun ownership is dangerous. Of course it's dangerous to own a gun. But it is, and this cannot be stressed enough, a fundamental right.

    Boo, do you know what a fundamental right is?
    A fundamental right that can be regulated. It is not absolute anywhere at all times. Nor should it be. I do think congress should tackle this at some point, revisitng an outdated amendment. Not that I want guns taken away, or think they should be, but to make re4asonable restictions easier, and more in line with where we are today.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #235
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    People say that I carry a gun because I'm paranoid. That's preposterous; if I have a gun, what is there to be afraid of?
    I don't carry one and I'm not afraid at all. That you think you would be without does suggest paranoia as possibility. Just saying. . . . .

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #236
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    And you fear firearms. Not because they will do anything wrong, but because they are there. That is quite evident. So who's "fear" are we supposed to listen to? The one who brings a gun because he feels he should be entitled to exercise his rights, or the one who fears others exercising their rights?
    Fear them? A reasonable respect. Guns are a tool with a purpose. There is no purpose for one on campus.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #237
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Boo and Ikari, your utilitarian argument is pointless. It doesn't matter because gun ownership is a fundamental right.

    It is truly irrelevant whether or not exercising the right to gun ownership is dangerous. Of course it's dangerous to own a gun. But it is, and this cannot be stressed enough, a fundamental right.

    Boo, do you know what a fundamental right is?
    Deeper than a constitutional one?

  8. #238
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,937

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If you can't trust a 21 y/o with a pistol in peaceful environment, how can you trust an 18 y/o with a missile in a combat zone?

    .
    There's a BIG difference between a 21yo with a pistol in a peaceful environ and a 18yo launching missles, and that's RESPONSIBILITY.

  9. #239
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,179

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Many seem to have never seen Malow's hieracy of needs.

    It's Maslow's, and I probably read it before you were born. If you're going to try to show off your knowlege at least spell it right.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #240
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,179

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Fear them? A reasonable respect. Guns are a tool with a purpose. There is no purpose for one on campus.

    Tell that to a few dozen dead VA Tech students who might have liked to have had a better chance of defending themselves.



    Are you trying to say that a need for armed self-defense NEVER occurs on ANY campus?

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •