Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 477

Thread: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

  1. #11
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    I'm conflicted on this one. Young people don't always show the best judgment.

    I worry about people who have no training in gun safety getting hurt of hurting someone else unintentionally.

    I have the same concerns about adults.

    If they know what they are doing, No problem.
    Here ya go. I feel better. How about you

    For concealed carry in texas. You also have to be 21(1) a completed application on a form provided by the department
    that requires only the information listed in Subsection (b);
    (2) two recent color passport photographs of the applicant;
    (3) a certified copy of the applicant's birth certificate or certified
    proof of age;
    (4) proof of residency in this state;
    (5) two complete sets of legible and classifiable fingerprints of the
    applicant taken by a person appropriately trained in recording fingerprints
    who is employed by a law enforcement agency or by a private
    entity designated by a law enforcement agency as an entity qualified
    to take fingerprints of an applicant for a license under this subchapter;
    (6) a nonrefundable application and license fee of $140 paid to
    the department;
    (7) a handgun proficiency certificate described by Section
    411.189;
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...chlaws0102.pdf
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Have you guys been on a college campus recently? Specifically a non-commuter school with a large student population living on campus? Maybe this comes as a shock to some people, but college students like to drink alcohol...a lot. And at that age, they're often relatively new to alcohol and don't know their limits. Do you really want people to have guns in close proximity after they've just consumed 8 beers and are acting belligerent?
    Yes. Yes I do. I want that precisely because liquor, for some ungodly reason, is allowed on campus at all, motivating crime. The booz-culture cannot be permitted to continue imposing crime on the student body.

    Liquor has killed more collage students then firearms. Prove me wrong.

  3. #13
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    If you can't trust a 21 y/o with a pistol in peaceful environment, how can you trust an 18 y/o with a missile in a combat zone?

    Many states require a class and range qualification before issuing a CCW. As it happens, my state only requires a background check and $10. However, if my state decided to require a class I wouldn't object to it.
    The 18 year old with a missile in a combat zone can be trusted because he's had training.

    I don't think this is a good idea as if fights are started they very well may quickly become deadly. A student shouldn't be allowed to have a gun without proper training and they must have a cool head.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  4. #14
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    The 18 year old with a missile in a combat zone can be trusted because he's had training.

    I don't think this is a good idea as if fights are started they very well may quickly become deadly. A student shouldn't be allowed to have a gun without proper training and they must have a cool head.
    They have to be 21 and have training. Lots of other things can disqualify them too.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  5. #15
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    They have to be 21 and have training. Lots of other things can disqualify them too.
    Ah. That's better then.

    I approve!
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  6. #16
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yes. Yes I do. I want that precisely because liquor, for some ungodly reason, is allowed on campus at all, motivating crime.
    Students who want to drink are going to drink whether it's "allowed" or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    The booz-culture cannot be permitted to continue imposing crime on the student body.
    How does it impose crime on students? College campuses, even large ones where there is a lot of alcohol, are relatively safe places. That could easily change though if guns were immediately available. Those drunken fights between students could turn deadly if the nearest gun was in one's pocket.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    Liquor has killed more collage students then firearms. Prove me wrong.
    I don't disagree...but what does it have to do with what I said?
    Last edited by Kandahar; 02-20-11 at 10:34 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #17
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,691
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Here ya go. I feel better. How about you

    For concealed carry in texas. You also have to be 21(1) a completed application on a form provided by the department
    that requires only the information listed in Subsection (b);
    (2) two recent color passport photographs of the applicant;
    (3) a certified copy of the applicant's birth certificate or certified
    proof of age;
    (4) proof of residency in this state;
    (5) two complete sets of legible and classifiable fingerprints of the
    applicant taken by a person appropriately trained in recording fingerprints
    who is employed by a law enforcement agency or by a private
    entity designated by a law enforcement agency as an entity qualified
    to take fingerprints of an applicant for a license under this subchapter;
    (6) a nonrefundable application and license fee of $140 paid to
    the department;
    (7) a handgun proficiency certificate described by Section
    411.189;
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...chlaws0102.pdf
    When I was in college, $140 went a long ways towards drinking. Now, I can either pay $140 to carry a gun that I'll probably never use or party. When I was 21, I'd choose party every time. I suspect more than 95% of students won't bother with the permit.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  8. #18
    Student
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    04-11-11 @ 09:43 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    295

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Have you guys been on a college campus recently? Specifically a non-commuter school with a large student population living on campus? Maybe this comes as a shock to some people, but college students like to drink alcohol...a lot. And at that age, they're often relatively new to alcohol and don't know their limits. Do you really want people to have guns in close proximity after they've just consumed 8 beers and are acting belligerent?
    What a confused position to have. Citing the illegal consumption of alcohol by underage persons as a reason to limit legal access to firearms is just silly. How about enforcing drinking rules and or laws on the books at the respective Universities.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    The 18 year old with a missile in a combat zone can be trusted because he's had training.

    I don't think this is a good idea as if fights are started they very well may quickly become deadly. A student shouldn't be allowed to have a gun without proper training and they must have a cool head.
    One of the wonderful things about being in an armed population is that one is forced to keep a cool head as they know a firearm will be drawn on them if the loose it.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Students who want to drink are going to drink whether it's "allowed" or not.
    If liquor is not allowed on campus and they choose to drink, **** them, expel them. I have no sympathy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    How does it impose crime on students?
    You are not allowing an adult, who can lawfully carry anywhere else, from defending themselves. You are in fact violating their right to bodily sovereignty by compromising their personnel security. This is exactly the same as not allowing combat of any kind, even if you are defending yourself. Exactly the same in every respect. "Oh, we can't let you know or learn a martial art because students drink and you might get into a fight and hurt or kill someone". Exact same thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    College campuses, even large ones where there is a lot of alcohol, are relatively safe places. That could easily change though if guns were immediately available. Those drunken fights between students could turn deadly if the nearest gun was in one's pocket.
    You have zero evidence demonstrating that more guns = more crime, whereas I have a mountain of evidence to the contrary.
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-20-11 at 11:03 PM.

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •