Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 477

Thread: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    Seriously? No one even glances at the only bit of hard data supplied in this thread? There is no conclusive evidence validating either side of the argument.

    The reasoning behind banning firearms from school grounds to me seems obvious enough, I don't know about the schools you've been to, but I've seen (and sadly been apart of) some of the really stupid fights that happen at schools. They are places that combine huge amounts of stress with copious amounts of mind-altering substances. You don't have to be a genius to figure out that adding guns to that mix is a really, really bad idea.

    I understand that you yourself may be a responsible gun-owner, but most people that I know that own weapons are NOT responsible. Or at the very least not all the time. And the amount of effort it takes to kill someone with a gun is so slight, the speed so quick, that rage-killings are so easy with that weapon.

    Imagine tossing a gun into a bar-brawl. You instantly go from maybe a broken bone or two to death.
    If you have any evidence to substantiated your argument, please let us know.

  2. #162
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Of course backhoes are allowed on school property. We remodeled an entire school just 2 years ago, and we had much bigger equipment on the grounds than a mere backho-loader. There were periods of time where the equipment was in operation while class was in session, too. So you see this analogy simply doesn't fit. I know you think it does, but your reader isn't getting it, so I suggest trying something different.



    The ones who don't stand out because most do.



    I began this thread by quoting an international Harvard study. That is the nature of evidence you need to bring.



    Professor, Administrator, Student, Janitor, or 3rd party contractor, as appropriate.



    Self defense.




    I'd probably talk shop with them in the commons.



    That they like not being assaulted.



    Of course.



    Crime is everywhere, so I can't rule it out.



    You haven't given even one reason why firearms should be banned from school grounds.
    I think I've given you several reasons. Students tend to be immature. Few know their tool well. There is no purpose for it in school. It's asking for trouble. Accidents happen at home with them and could happen at school. It provides serious liability issues for schools. And in general, it's just a stupid idea. Kind of like car sufering or NCLB.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I think I've given you several reasons. Students tend to be immature. Few know their tool well. There is no purpose for it in school. It's asking for trouble. Accidents happen at home with them and could happen at school. It provides serious liability issues for schools. And in general, it's just a stupid idea. Kind of like car sufering or NCLB.
    You've stated plenty of opinions, but you haven't sunstanchiated any point you've argued. Please link to the credible evidence you reviewed before reaching your current conclusions.

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I did, the article is an anti-gun hit piece that takes bits of data to paint an innacurate picture.
    Be more specific.


    The only line in there that is truthful is the one where it states what I quoted, that it's in line with the rest of the country...
    Can you back that up with anything like, um... evidence?



    And better than California, one of the most restrictive states.
    Bigger cities and all...

  5. #165
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Because all college students are so mentally stable... especially on Friday nights at kegger parities.

    This is stupid beyond stupid.

    Go Texas!!
    1) you have to be 21-meaning most college kids are excluded

    2) you have to pass a test etc

    3) you have to have a clean record

    the youngest licensed CCW holders are older than thousands of thoseserving in the infantry carrying stuff far more lethal than a small pistol. and anyone who thinks 19 year old PFCs never drink is probably drunk



  6. #166
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    The point is, the only point, public safety trumps the 2nd Amendment.

    Collage admins must put campus safety above all other concerns. There is no logical, practical, reason or benefit to have handguns on campus.

    The GOP and NRA like to read the 2nd Amendment through a keyhole, thinking what works in WI should work in NYC. What works in rural areas DOES NOT work, is NOT PRACTICAL in urban areas.

    Even the most conservative of law enforcement agents, criminal prosecutors, judges favor gun control that fits their community.
    if public safety trumps the constitution lets get rid of

    1) Miranda
    2) Gideon
    3) 4th and 5th amendments

    Just think of all the crooks we could keep in jail if the DAs didn't have to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt or if we had to presume criminals are innocent until proven otherwise or giving them lawyers.

    the gun control those people favor are laws against improper USE of guns

    very different than banning honest people from POSSESSING firearms as you want



  7. #167
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,769

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    Seriously? No one even glances at the only bit of hard data supplied in this thread? There is no conclusive evidence validating either side of the argument.

    The reasoning behind banning firearms from school grounds to me seems obvious enough, I don't know about the schools you've been to, but I've seen (and sadly been apart of) some of the really stupid fights that happen at schools. They are places that combine huge amounts of stress with copious amounts of mind-altering substances. You don't have to be a genius to figure out that adding guns to that mix is a really, really bad idea.

    I understand that you yourself may be a responsible gun-owner, but most people that I know that own weapons are NOT responsible. Or at the very least not all the time. And the amount of effort it takes to kill someone with a gun is so slight, the speed so quick, that rage-killings are so easy with that weapon.

    Imagine tossing a gun into a bar-brawl. You instantly go from maybe a broken bone or two to death.
    you do understand that one has to be at least 21 and pass a course.
    most people you know? that is a testament to whom you associate with-not grounds to limit rights of others.

    so how come "rage killings" have not gone up despite millions upon millions of people carrying guns-a trend that has significantly increased over the last 20 years

    its illegal to take a gun into a bar in almost every state. your silly argument FAILS



  8. #168
    Student doctorhugo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Last Seen
    02-10-17 @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    263

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    What are the rules of engagement? If someone else flashes theirs first does that make them the starter of the firefight? Is it illegal to duel? What can't I do with my gun?
    If I were having to make the ruling I would have to deny your pemit for CCW on the grounds of demonstrated mental instability.
    "Ignorance confuses. Knowledge mediates. Truth resolves." (doctorhugo)

  9. #169
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You've stated plenty of opinions, but you haven't sunstanchiated any point you've argued. Please link to the credible evidence you reviewed before reaching your current conclusions.
    I asked what would you consider substanization. I don't remember a clear answer. I think it is a logic problem, but maybe you think it is something else. Maybe you need someone you like saying it. I'm not sure. But ask yourself what happens if someone has an accident, shots someone. What happens then? That would bring up liablity issues for the school.

    Do you need evidence that 20 year old can be immature? i think that is common knowledge but I can link information to support that.

    Do you need verification that some gun owners don't know their tool weel? I'm sure some link can be give to verifiy that. But i would think that rather common knowledge.

    Just let me know what you think would substaniate the opinion for you. I mean no disrespect, but I am really unsure what you could want.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I asked what would you consider substanization. I don't remember a clear answer.
    Your answer was:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I began this thread by quoting an international Harvard study. That is the nature of evidence you need to bring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I think it is a logic problem, but maybe you think it is something else. Maybe you need someone you like saying it. I'm not sure.
    Do you have anyone of verifiable authority saying it? Link please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    But ask yourself what happens if someone has an accident, shots someone. What happens then?
    Accidental discharge is a crime, and a civil suit for damages would follow, also.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That would bring up liablity issues for the school.
    Please cite the case-law or statute you're getting this information from.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Do you need evidence that 20 year old can be immature? i think that is common knowledge but I can link information to support that.
    If you're trying to argue a demographic trend, please cite the study your getting your data from.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Do you need verification that some gun owners don't know their tool weel? I'm sure some link can be give to verifiy that. But i would think that rather common knowledge.
    Again, there's a difference between a flook criminal and general demographic. Please site the study you're getting your information from.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Just let me know what you think would substaniate the opinion for you. I mean no disrespect, but I am really unsure what you could want.
    Working links to research studies by credentialed persons or institutions, statistics, crime data from government or credentialed sources, etc. At this point, a link of any kind would be a step forward for you. It's irrational, if not utterly arrogant, to simply state your opinion and assume others are just going to instantly agree.

Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •