Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 477

Thread: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

  1. #91
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post

    IMO the bar is one place where the firearm is needed for personal defense precisely because of the presence of liquor.
    Bringing a gun to a bar fight? I have been going to bars for 40 years and have seen a few brawls. I don't think the arming of the combatants or bystanders would have resulted in a better outcome.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/04/us/04guns.html
    Last edited by USA_1; 02-22-11 at 07:47 PM.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  2. #92
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by USA_1 View Post
    Bringing a gun to a bar fight? I have been going to bars for 40 years and have seen a few brawls. I don't think the arming of the combatants or bystanders would have resulted in a better outcome.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/04/us/04guns.html

    Well sir, I gave up the bar scene a long time ago, but I saw a few bars shot up AFTER a bar fight... and yeah it was illegal to bring the gun into the bar. Didn't stop them. Never does.

    Might as well let the law-abiding stand on equal footing.

    At any rate no one is talking about bringing a gun to a bar fight. That's something that is done by idiots and criminals, who don't care if it is legal. Mainly it is to avoid CCW'ers from being barred from restaurants that serve alcohol, at least in my home state. Still can't drink and pack but you can go in and eat.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by USA_1 View Post
    Bringing a gun to a bar fight? I have been going to bars for 40 years and have seen a few brawls. I don't think the arming of the combatants or bystanders would have resulted in a better outcome.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/04/us/04guns.html
    I already understand that people feel that guns are a hazard. What I haven't seen is evidence rationalizing this fear.

    I appreciate the article you linked to, it seems to represent each side's argument fairly. Though, it seems that you posted it as evidence, which it's not. If that wasn't your intention, that's just fine, as I said it was a fine article on it's own account.

    I'm hopping to understand this fear of guns in bars by reviewing the evidence backing up that argument. If you ever find any, please share it here.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Well sir, I gave up the bar scene a long time ago, but I saw a few bars shot up AFTER a bar fight... and yeah it was illegal to bring the gun into the bar. Didn't stop them. Never does.

    Might as well let the law-abiding stand on equal footing.

    At any rate no one is talking about bringing a gun to a bar fight. That's something that is done by idiots and criminals, who don't care if it is legal. Mainly it is to avoid CCW'ers from being barred from restaurants that serve alcohol, at least in my home state. Still can't drink and pack but you can go in and eat.
    From USA_1's link:
    Under Tennessee’s new law, gun permit holders are not supposed to drink alcohol while carrying their weapons. Mr. Ringenberg washed down his steak sandwich with a Coke.
    It's as though most people don't realize that there's more to do in bars/pubs then drink.

  5. #95
    User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    United States of America
    Last Seen
    04-04-17 @ 01:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    121

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Indeed, as CCW holders are the most law-abiding, the kind of person who gets a CCW is not the kind of person who would get into a bar fight.

    IMO the bar is one place where the firearm is needed for personal defense precisely because of the presence of liquor.
    Sadly, I would disagree with this. First, consuming alcohol will impair your judgement. Doesn't matter if your BAC is .05 or .15, you consumed alcohol which will impair your judgement. Second, think of it as a car, it has it's purposed. CCW is for defense, a car is for transportation. Does it mean you can drive home while impaired? Then why would you carry a weapon while impaired also. If you are designated driver, then by all means, carry your CCW. Otherwise, leave it at home, you probably wouldn't hit the broad side of the barn after drinking a few.
    We the People of the United States,... provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare....
    Where did it ever say, promote for the common defence, and provide the general Welfare..... Please don't mix up the two....

  6. #96
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by MCS117 View Post
    Sadly, I would disagree with this. First, consuming alcohol will impair your judgement. Doesn't matter if your BAC is .05 or .15, you consumed alcohol which will impair your judgement. Second, think of it as a car, it has it's purposed. CCW is for defense, a car is for transportation. Does it mean you can drive home while impaired? Then why would you carry a weapon while impaired also. If you are designated driver, then by all means, carry your CCW. Otherwise, leave it at home, you probably wouldn't hit the broad side of the barn after drinking a few.

    Actually we're not talking about drinking and packing, we're just talking about being allowed to CCW in a place that serves alcohol. The states that allow that don't allow you to drink and pack at all, just to be there.

    In my home state the issue is restaurants that serve alcohol, since my state doesn't distinguish between a bar and a restaurant with a liquor license.

    Again, nobody is talking about boozing it up while packing your CCW.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by MCS117 View Post
    Sadly, I would disagree with this. First, consuming alcohol will impair your judgement. Doesn't matter if your BAC is .05 or .15, you consumed alcohol which will impair your judgement. Second, think of it as a car, it has it's purposed. CCW is for defense, a car is for transportation. Does it mean you can drive home while impaired? Then why would you carry a weapon while impaired also. If you are designated driver, then by all means, carry your CCW. Otherwise, leave it at home, you probably wouldn't hit the broad side of the barn after drinking a few.
    I'm curious, why is it that you ignore the laws preventing anyone from drinking while carrying? Is it that you didn't read the post of mine you were quoting, or is your intent in this thread to troll?

    No one is allowed to drink while armed. Period. End of story. It doesn't matter where you are, or what you're doing. If you have a gun, you can't drink; if you drink, you can't have the gun.

    Please redress your argument accordingly.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Actually we're not talking about drinking and packing, we're just talking about being allowed to CCW in a place that serves alcohol. The states that allow that don't allow you to drink and pack at all, just to be there.

    In my home state the issue is restaurants that serve alcohol, since my state doesn't distinguish between a bar and a restaurant with a liquor license.

    Again, nobody is talking about boozing it up while packing your CCW.
    MCS117, I can't carry into Applebees or Chilly's, because these businesses serve liquor. Now, I don't drink, but I do enjoy a nice dinner. How am I a threat in this setting?

    ***
    Ironic that I can't go into a liquor store, but I can go into the liquor section of the supermarket.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London, England and Dijon, France
    Last Seen
    03-06-11 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    598

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Allowing firearms on campus can only be a good thing.

    EDITORIAL: Guns decrease murder rates



    Harvard Study: Gun Control Is Counterproductive



    Concealed carry in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Criminals generally want easy targets. Having a gun makes you a harder target. When you're in a population which carries, you are safer even if you don't carry a gun yourself, because a criminal has no way of knowing if you're carrying concealed or not and doesn't want to risk finding out the hard way.


    Pistol: In common use at the time? Yes. Is dangerous and unusual? No.
    Rifle: In common use at the time? Yes. Is dangerous and unusual? No.
    Automatic rifle: In common use at the time? Yes. Is dangerous and unusual? No.
    Grenade launcher: In common use at the time? Yes. Is dangerous and unusual? Yes.
    Patriot missile battery: In common use at the time? No. Is dangerous and unusual? Yes.
    Nuclear warheads: In common use at the time? No. Is dangerous and unusual? Yes.

    Tanks are not weapons. Tanks are vehicles weapons can be mounted in, but anyone with enough money to buy one can own one. That doesn't mean you can have a functioning cannon, 50cal machine gun, 2 saw machine guns, or grenades...it means you can ave the tank and the tank only.

    You can own a black hawk helicopter, also...doesn't mean you can have the twin mini-guns.

    ***
    We're talking about citizens 21 years of age and older, who also have a CCW, carrying a pistol on campus.


    It truly blows my mind that Americans can stare right at the truth and see nothing of it. It is beyond comprehension that anyone can look at stats like: Increase in Guns --> Increase in Gun Crimes, Decrease in Guns --> Decrease in Gun Crimes, and say "MOAR GUNS MEANS SAFER COMMUNITIES!"

    And now, bringing them into schools? A dying culture indeed.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Texas poised to pass bill allowing guns on campus

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Marteau View Post
    It truly blows my mind that Americans can stare right at the truth and see nothing of it. It is beyond comprehension that anyone can look at stats like: Increase in Guns --> Increase in Gun Crimes, Decrease in Guns --> Decrease in Gun Crimes, and say "MOAR GUNS MEANS SAFER COMMUNITIES!"

    And now, bringing them into schools? A dying culture indeed.
    That's one way to ignore the evidence, though I could have added more flair.

Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •