Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 288

Thread: House blocks funding for health care law

  1. #221
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: House blocks funding for health care law

    [QUOTE=Catawba;1059302108]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post

    Correct, your statement is a bald face lie. You did not include all income.
    Fine, where is your link, giving as fact, that those figures are not all income?

  2. #222
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: House blocks funding for health care law

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    As that amount was more than offset by tax breaks for the rich, I wouldn't be expecting much. That is the GOP way. (See last decade)
    oh, we don't have to go back that far, show me what has improved from the GOP way in the last 4 years ?

  3. #223
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: House blocks funding for health care law

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post

    Fine, where is your link, giving as fact, that those figures are not all income?
    (Reuters) - "Tax and accounting loopholes that largely benefit rich taxpayers and companies cost the government $20 billion a year even as the pay gap between chief executives and employees has widened, two groups said on Monday.
    The biggest loss comes from a "stock option accounting double standard" that allows corporations paying executives stock options to deduct more than their actual expenses, they said.
    For example, when UnitedHealth Group Inc paid CEO William McGuire 9 million stock options, it put on its financial statement that the compensation cost the company nothing, according to the Institute for Policy Studies and the group United for a Fair Economy.
    But it claimed a tax deduction of $317.7 million, the groups said.
    That practice alone costs the U.S. government $10 billion a year, the groups said.
    A practice known as deferred compensation -- which allows executives to defer an unlimited amount of pay -- costs the government $80.6 million a year, while other loopholes bring the total lost tax revenue to $20 billion, the groups said.
    "It's outrageous that our tax dollars are inflating executive paychecks," said Sarah Anderson, an author of the report. "Surely in these troubled economic times we can find better ways to spend our nation's wealth."
    The report said large U.S. companies paid CEOs an average $10.5 million in compensation last year, 344 times what the average worker earned.
    That gap is expected to grow as the industries adding workers are those with the biggest pay gaps, the groups said."

    Tax loopholes seen costing billions annually | Reuters
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #224
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: House blocks funding for health care law

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    (Reuters) - "Tax and accounting loopholes that largely benefit rich taxpayers and companies cost the government $20 billion a year even as the pay gap between chief executives and employees has widened, two groups said on Monday.
    The biggest loss comes from a "stock option accounting double standard" that allows corporations paying executives stock options to deduct more than their actual expenses, they said.
    For example, when UnitedHealth Group Inc paid CEO William McGuire 9 million stock options, it put on its financial statement that the compensation cost the company nothing, according to the Institute for Policy Studies and the group United for a Fair Economy.
    But it claimed a tax deduction of $317.7 million, the groups said.
    That practice alone costs the U.S. government $10 billion a year, the groups said.
    A practice known as deferred compensation -- which allows executives to defer an unlimited amount of pay -- costs the government $80.6 million a year, while other loopholes bring the total lost tax revenue to $20 billion, the groups said.
    "It's outrageous that our tax dollars are inflating executive paychecks," said Sarah Anderson, an author of the report. "Surely in these troubled economic times we can find better ways to spend our nation's wealth."
    The report said large U.S. companies paid CEOs an average $10.5 million in compensation last year, 344 times what the average worker earned.
    That gap is expected to grow as the industries adding workers are those with the biggest pay gaps, the groups said."

    Tax loopholes seen costing billions annually | Reuters
    IPS*is the nation's oldest progressive multi-issue think tank.

    UFE) is a national*Boston, Massachusetts-based movement support organization that highlights the detriments of*uneven wealth distribution.*

    Sorry, I'm not taking facts from organizations that that have nothing more then a progressive agenda to push

  5. #225
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: House blocks funding for health care law

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    IPS*is the nation's oldest progressive multi-issue think tank.

    UFE) is a national*Boston, Massachusetts-based movement support organization that highlights the detriments of*uneven wealth distribution.*

    Sorry, I'm not taking facts from organizations that that have nothing more then a progressive agenda to push
    Census: Income gap between rich and poor got wider in 2009

    "WASHINGTON (AP) — The income gap between the richest and poorest Americans grew last year to its widest amount on record as young adults and children in particular struggled to stay afloat in the recession.

    The top-earning 20% of Americans — those making more than $100,000 each year — received 49.4% of all income generated in the U.S., compared with the 3.4% earned by those below the poverty line, according to newly released Census figures. That ratio of 14.5-to-1 was an increase from 13.6 in 2008 and nearly double a low of 7.69 in 1968."

    Census: Income gap between rich and poor got wider in 2009 - USATODAY.com
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #226
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: House blocks funding for health care law

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Census: Income gap between rich and poor got wider in 2009

    "WASHINGTON (AP) — The income gap between the richest and poorest Americans grew last year to its widest amount on record as young adults and children in particular struggled to stay afloat in the recession.

    The top-earning 20% of Americans — those making more than $100,000 each year — received 49.4% of all income generated in the U.S., compared with the 3.4% earned by those below the poverty line, according to newly released Census figures. That ratio of 14.5-to-1 was an increase from 13.6 in 2008 and nearly double a low of 7.69 in 1968."

    Census: Income gap between rich and poor got wider in 2009 - USATODAY.com
    So what? It is not a problem. You just want wealth distribution. **** that. Top execs made lots of money because their skill-set is in high demand and there is not much qualified supply. The poor have little to no skills and there is plenty of supply for available jobs. It is their responsibility to get the training and education to make a career move. I guess they shouldn't have dropped out of high school, huh?

  7. #227
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: House blocks funding for health care law

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    So what? It is not a problem
    .

    I guess that depends on whether you think more and more middle class falling under the poverty line is a good thing or not:

    "NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The nation's poverty rate jumped to 14.3% in 2009, its highest level since 1994, and the 43.6 million Americans in need is the highest number in 51 years of record-keeping, the government said Thursday.
    Census Bureau reports new spike in poverty - Sep. 16, 2010

    You just want wealth distribution. **** that.
    No, I want to stop the wealth redistribution began under Reagan and continued with Bush and the new Congress.

    Top execs made lots of money because their skill-set is in high demand and there is not much qualified supply. The poor have little to no skills and there is plenty of supply for available jobs. It is their responsibility to get the training and education to make a career move. I guess they shouldn't have dropped out of high school, huh?
    I would like to see your facts on how many teachers, firefighters and police dropped out of H.S.?

    By how much do you feel our teachers, firefighters and policemen are being overpaid?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #228
    Educator
    Amazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North of Dorothy's Home.
    Last Seen
    04-30-15 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,001

    Re: House blocks funding for health care law

    I don't that this is true, you don't mind "redistribution" as long as it's being given to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    .

    I guess that depends on whether you think more and more middle class falling under the poverty line is a good thing or not:

    "NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The nation's poverty rate jumped to 14.3% in 2009, its highest level since 1994, and the 43.6 million Americans in need is the highest number in 51 years of record-keeping, the government said Thursday.
    Census Bureau reports new spike in poverty - Sep. 16, 2010



    No, I want to stop the wealth redistribution began under Reagan and continued with Bush and the new Congress.



    I would like to see your facts on how many teachers, firefighters and police dropped out of H.S.?

    By how much do you feel our teachers, firefighters and policemen are being overpaid?
    Obama is NOT 50 feet tall, he is ONE inch deep.
    Mark Levin

  9. #229
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: House blocks funding for health care law

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
    I don't that this is true, you don't mind "redistribution" as long as it's being given to you.


    Have you not looked at the census data? The super-rich are not getting less rich., it is the middle class that is falling under the poverty line.

    By how much do you feel our teachers, firefighters and policemen are being overpaid?
    Last edited by Catawba; 02-23-11 at 07:24 PM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #230
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: House blocks funding for health care law

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Census: Income gap between rich and poor got wider in 2009

    "WASHINGTON (AP) — The income gap between the richest and poorest Americans grew last year to its widest amount on record as young adults and children in particular struggled to stay afloat in the recession.

    The top-earning 20% of Americans — those making more than $100,000 each year — received 49.4% of all income generated in the U.S., compared with the 3.4% earned by those below the poverty line, according to newly released Census figures. That ratio of 14.5-to-1 was an increase from 13.6 in 2008 and nearly double a low of 7.69 in 1968."

    Census: Income gap between rich and poor got wider in 2009 - USATODAY.com
    back to the income equality gig, again, i see

    make up your mind

    income equality is a very petty perspective, divisive, envious, pitting americans against their neighbors

    quit worrying about how much your neighbor is making, take care of your own back yard

    quit trying to redistribute what your neighbor has earned, focus instead on teaching our less successful friends and neighbors to do better

    that's the way UP

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •