Page 15 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 584

Thread: Wisconsin Governor to Missing Democrats: Do Your Job

  1. #141
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Wisconsin Governor to Missing Democrats: Do Your Job

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    They are doing their job by using a tactic available to them to prevent a piece of legislation that they and their voters oppose. I seriously doubt either party would create a law that makes a politician forfeit their vote if they refuse to show up to vote.
    I give you kudos for consistency.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #142
    User theunbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East Tennessee, USA
    Last Seen
    11-20-11 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    96

    Re: Wisconsin Governor to Missing Democrats: Do Your Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    Wisconsin Governor to Missing Democrats: Do Your Job

    Wisconsin Governor to Missing Democrats: Do Your Job - FoxNews.com




    I feel any elected official that flees his/her jurisdiction to avoid having to do their jobs should be fired.
    If this was a republican tactic the press would be jumping up and down about their obstructionism. But since it's a bunch of leftist trash, they applaud.

    Liberals live their lives in fear, clinging to their bongs, welfare checks and JFK photos singing Kumbaya and dreaming of rainbows

  3. #143
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,785

    Re: Wisconsin Governor to Missing Democrats: Do Your Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Lib View Post
    Thank you rev, for your answer. I don't know if you've read the article, or my past posts, but my main concern with this bill is that it simply doesn't seem to address the budget issues so much as a personal vendetta for the unions. In this situation, the public safety unions (in this case, referring to police, state troopers, and fire fighters) were strong supporters of Walker in the governmental elections, and now that they are allowed to retain collective bargaining, the true intention of this bill rings pretty clear.

    I can honestly say that I would still not support the action even if ALL unions were involved, but at least then I would feel much less outraged about the blatant favoritism and the lack of true concern to balance the budget (if this were actually a way to do it)


    I see where you are coming from, understand I am about as anti-union as one can get. I run a non-union shop and am often subject to intimidation tactics by some of these thugs because I choose to hire (and pay better and give better benefits) non-union low voltage guys.

    I think they served thier purposes back in the day, but in today's society, they more often than not, are not needed and simply a wing of the democrat party.


    I'll have to review this thread some more, and see those posts of yours in question.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #144
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Wisconsin Governor to Missing Democrats: Do Your Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Their job isn't to prevent legislation they don't agree with..
    Yes it is their to prevent legislation that they or more specifically their voters do not like. That is why their constituents elected them. Just like when I vote for my elected officials its to oppose and prevent legislation I disagree with and to support and try enact legislation I support. That's why people vote for politicians based on their positions on certian issues instead of just randomly checking a name on the ballot.

    It is to provide a voice for their constituents using define dparameters.By refusing to give that voice in the defined parameters, they are shirking their duty.
    Not showing up to vote is just another tool a minority party uses just like filibusters and other methods.


    Party politics has forgotten this and they instead seek to represent party more than people
    Democrats generally run as pro-union and their voters know this. These democrats are doing what their voters wanted.




    Do you honestly think either party would create a law that makes a politician forfeit their vote if they refuse to show up to vote? Neither party would do this because they know that they will not always have the majority. Yeah its sucks that its that much harder to get in legislation you like, buts its also equally that much harder to pass legislation you don't like. I used to be one of those people who bitched about filibusters and other similar things that democrats did early in Bush's presidency.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 02-18-11 at 01:16 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #145
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,427

    Re: Wisconsin Governor to Missing Democrats: Do Your Job



    Memphis, Tenn.,of March 29, 1968 meet Madison Wi. of Feb 17,2011.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  6. #146
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Wisconsin Governor to Missing Democrats: Do Your Job

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Yes it is their to prevent legislation that they or more specifically their voters do not like. That is why their constituents elected them. Just like when I vote for my elected officials its to oppose and prevent legislation I disagree with and to support and try enact legislation I support. That's why people vote for politicians based on their positions on certian issues instead of just randomly checking a name on the ballot.
    Once they attempt to prevent legislation they agree with, they cease to be acting as representatigves for their constituents and start hindering th erepresenation of other politicia's constituents. That is not their job. the fact that peopel don't get this is a sign of how far in the crapper our nation has fallen. It's pure selfishness.



    Not showing up to vote is just another tool a minority party uses just like filibusters and other methods.
    And there are many people who feel that is an immoral action because their job is to represent their constituents, not inhibit the representation of those they disagree with.

    You are using the appeal to tradition fallacy to try and argue that it is morally correct. That's just poor logic.




    Democrats generally run as pro-union and their voters know this. These democrats are doing what their voters wanted.
    Their job is to vote in line with their constiuents beliefs. It is not to inhibit the ability of other representatives to do this.

    By taking the actions they have, they are taking actions that inhbit our representative democracy.




    Do you honestly think either party would create a law that makes a politician forfeit their vote if they refuse to show up to vote?
    This doens't present an argument. It's just an appeal to tradition. Just because two self-interested groups would choose to continue to engage in immoral and unethical behavior which serves their self-interest doesn't mean the actions are not immoral and unethical.

    Neither party would do this because they know that they will not always have the majority.
    Which is why party politics are a detriment to democracy. They care more about serving their own selfish agenda than they do about performing their duties.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #147
    Advisor Midwest Lib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    513

    Re: Wisconsin Governor to Missing Democrats: Do Your Job

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post


    Memphis, Tenn.,of March 29, 1968 meet Madison Wi. of Feb 17,2011.
    A bit of a slippery slope. I don't like what the governor is doing, and there certainly is (in my eyes) right to protest. But saying these events are similar outside anything but a protest is like saying any politician you don't agree with is like Hitler. I think I see the comparison you are trying to make, but protesting over civil rights just isn't on the same level as keeping a status quo.

  8. #148
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,427

    Re: Wisconsin Governor to Missing Democrats: Do Your Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Lib View Post
    A bit of a slippery slope. I don't like what the governor is doing, and there certainly is (in my eyes) right to protest. But saying these events are similar outside anything but a protest is like saying any politician you don't agree with is like Hitler. I think I see the comparison you are trying to make, but protesting over civil rights just isn't on the same level as keeping a status quo.
    It was week ago today when he had alerted the National Guard to "be ready for state workers to strike or protest".Hardly a stretch imo.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  9. #149
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,078

    Re: Wisconsin Governor to Missing Democrats: Do Your Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Once they attempt to prevent legislation they agree with, they cease to be acting as representatigves for their constituents and start hindering th erepresenation of other politicia's constituents. That is not their job. the fact that peopel don't get this is a sign of how far in the crapper our nation has fallen. It's pure selfishness.
    These politicians are doing what their constituents elected them to do. Regardless if they do a straight up and down vote, filibuster or just don't show.



    And there are many people who feel that is an immoral action because their job is to represent their constituents, not inhibit the representation of those they disagree with.


    You are using the appeal to tradition fallacy to try and argue that it is morally correct. That's just poor logic.
    These people are pissed because the democrats are preventing the republicans from enacting anti-union legislation. This is the only reason they are getting pissy about it. They would still be bitch even if the democrats had a majority and voted to oppose it.






    Their job is to vote in line with their constiuents beliefs. It is not to inhibit the ability of other representatives to do this.
    Their job to is support and enact legislation they and their constituents oppose and to support and enact legislation they and their constituents want. It doesn't matter if this achieved with straight voting, by filibustering or by not showing up to vote.

    By taking the actions they have, they are taking actions that inhbit our representative democracy.
    It should be hard as hell for politicians to enact legislation.The government is a necessary evil and thus should be treated as so.



    This doens't present an argument. It's just an appeal to tradition. Just because two self-interested groups would choose to continue to engage in immoral and unethical behavior which serves their self-interest doesn't mean the actions are not immoral and unethical.
    Its to point out that all this bitching about the democrats not showing up to vote is nothing more than hypocrisy. Any group that was in the minority would do.It doesn't matter if they have a D,R, or some other letter next to their name.

    Which is why party politics are a detriment to democracy. They care more about serving their own selfish agenda than they do about performing their duties.
    These politicians are doing what they are elected to do.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #150
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Wisconsin Governor to Missing Democrats: Do Your Job

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    These politicians are doing what their constituents elected them to do. Regardless if they do a straight up and down vote, filibuster or just don't show.
    Teh position they hold is to represent their constituents, not inhibit the represention of those who are not their constituents.

    These people are pissed because the democrats are preventing the republicans from enacting anti-union legislation. This is the only reason they are getting pissy about it. They would still be bitch even if the democrats had a majority and voted to oppose it.
    I'm pissed because partisan politics has **** all over our government system. When one group of politicians uses their partisan agenda to the detriment of other peopl ewho deserve to be represented as well, everyone suffers.

    I don't care what party is doing it or for what reasons they are doing it.




    Their job to is support and enact legislation they and their constituents oppose and to support and enact legislation they and their constituents want. It doesn't matter if this achieved with straight voting, by filibustering or by not showing up to vote.
    This is false. Their job is to represent their constituents in teh legislative process. Nothing more, nothing less. One cannot represent their constituents inteh legislativ eprocess if they are not present for the legislative process.

    They do not represent their peopl ein teh legislative process by inhibiting that process.


    It should be hard as hell for politicians to enact legislation. The government is a necessary evil and thus should be treated as so.
    Legislation should be enacted through the process that was designed for this purpose. Part of the way that the "evil" of government is mitigated is by having groups of people represented proportionally, yet while everyone supposedly has a voice.

    When one group of people attempts to achieve unequally by silencing the voices o ftheir opponents, they **** on the process.




    Its to point out that all this bitching about the democrats not showing up to vote is nothing more than hypocrisy. Any group that was in the minority would do.It doesn't matter if they have a D,R, or some other letter next to their name.
    I would bitch about this no matter what letter was next to the name, so your theory that this is nothing more than hypocricy is clearly false.


    These politicians are doing what they are elected to do.
    No, they are doing the opposite of what they were elected to do.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 15 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •