Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 379

Thread: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

  1. #311
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    There was no conscription during the Rev War. Wanna try again?
    "During the Revolutionary War, the American government used selective, temporary conscription to fill the ranks of its military."
    Conscript system legal definition of Conscript system. Conscript system synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #312
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,376

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    "During the Revolutionary War, the American government used selective, temporary conscription to fill the ranks of its military."
    Conscript system legal definition of Conscript system. Conscript system synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
    That's what happens when you get your history from an online dictionary vice a history book. There was no national conscription in the United States until the Civil War.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #313
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's what happens when you get your history from an online dictionary vice a history book. There was no national conscription in the United States until the Civil War.
    Actually in many of the early colonies, the local militias required men of the right age and fitness to join. This practice continued after the US became a nation. It just didn't happen at a national level for a while.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 02-19-11 at 11:05 PM.

  4. #314
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,376

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Actually in many of the early colonies, the local militias required men of the right age and fitness to join. This practice continued after the US became a nation. It just didn't happen at a national level for a while.
    Yeah, during the Civil War, when the first national conscription took place. The Conscription Act of 1792, allowed for states to organize militias, to be under command of the president.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #315
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yeah, during the Civil War, when the first national conscription took place. The Conscription Act of 1792, allowed for states to organize militias, to be under command of the president.


    I see no fundamental difference between someone forcing me to join a militia or a different military outfit. Conscription is still conscription.

  6. #316
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's what happens when you get your history from an online dictionary vice a history book. There was no national conscription in the United States until the Civil War.
    I did not say national conscription, I said government conscription.



    "The only U.S. war fought without conscripts before the Civil War was
    the Mexican War. American governments, state or national, drafted
    men not only to fight the Revolution and the War of 1812, but also to
    wage Indian wars and to suppress the Whiskey Rebellion. Because
    they employed decentralized militia drafts, however, this fact has of*
    ten escaped notice. Military experts privy to the compulsory nature
    of the militia and the implications of such arcane phrases as “calling
    forth the militia” have failed to communicate their knowledge to out*
    siders. Indeed, the militia’s coercive elements lasted until they were
    discontinued during the Jacksonian era."
    Powered by Google Docs
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #317
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,376

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post


    I see no fundamental difference between someone forcing me to join a militia or a different military outfit. Conscription is still conscription.
    Then, obviously you don't understand the difference between the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #318
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Then, obviously you don't understand the difference between the two.
    Why don't you explain the difference to us between government conscription to serve the nation and national conscription?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #319
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,376

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Why don't you explain the difference to us between government conscription to serve the nation and national conscription?
    During that time period, serving in the militia wasn't much different than jury duty is, today. Very few of the state militias during the Rev War even saw action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #320
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    During that time period, serving in the militia wasn't much different than jury duty is, today. Very few of the state militias during the Rev War even saw action.
    You got a percentage or are you just blowing smoke?

Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •