Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 379

Thread: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

  1. #171
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,334

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Yeahhhh...you just lost all credibility on this issue. I'm no longer going to respond to you in this thread, because I no longer believe that you are arguing in good faith. You're just arguing for whatever benefits your pocketbook the most, rather than any kind of principled or pragmatic view of what's best for the nation. Toodles!
    Obviously, you can't understand that the more money I make, the better off the economy--as well as the government coffirs--will be. Do you even have a job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #172
    Advisor LimeLight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    01-15-12 @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    343

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    I think this train is actually a good investment. It would provide jobs, and ultimately allow the unemployed a wider scale of jobs to find. If im going to pay taxes I would rather it go to a train system then the pile of crap that is Obamacare.
    I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

    Umberto Eco

  3. #173
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, when the government had a surplus in funds, that was bad?
    It's not bad to have surplus funds, it's just not necessary.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #174
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Obviously, you can't understand that the more money I make, the better off the economy--as well as the government coffirs--will be. Do you even have a job?
    To a degree. But not in what we're talking about here. The money you'd save by not building the high speed rail won't significantly increase your personal impact on the economy. However, the thousands of jobs that would be produced because of building the high speed rail would have a significantly greater impact on the economy.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #175
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,649

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You know how great it would be if we had an actual, factual high speed rail? That would make a GREAT alternative to flying. If it took 5 hours to get from Denver to Chicago on train...**** I'd be going to well more Cubs games. New York to Chicago, Chicago to LA, link up all these major cities and then slowly expand off the backbone. True high speed rail would have major benefits for our country as well as providing many many jobs during the construction phase for which we can use to alivieate some of the burden on the middle and lower class experienced by this economic downturn. I would have much rather let the "too big to fail" jerks actually fail; see some of those CEOs in the gutter, and use that money to invest in a high speed rail and other work projects until the economy can recover enough for private business to take over.
    The only problem with that is that people in the US generally dont adequately use mass transit. How expensive is AMTRAK? In Florida the rail proposal is ONLY from Tampa to Orlando at a current cost of 2.4 billion but projected cost of over 3 billion. So its great if you live in either location...but why should taxpayers in Montana be forced to foot the bill for an under-utilized in-state rail system? Im fine with the concept if citizens in Illinois and Colorado want to jointly fund a Chicago to Denver project.

    In case anyone has missed it, we are 14 trillion dollars in debt. The Florida project requires the state to pay for cost overruns for operating the rail for a minimum of 20 years (they are already paying 13 million a year above and beyond user fees to maintain their current rail system).

    We are a nation on crack when it comes to the fed spending taxpayer dollars.

    Reason Foundation - Florida Taxpayers Ultimately Responsible for Extra High-Speed Rail Costs

  6. #176
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Obviously, you can't understand that the more money I make, the better off the economy--as well as the government coffirs--will be. Do you even have a job?
    And obviously you can't understand that people could make exactly the same argument about a high-speed rail system. You're a hypocrite, and I'm done talking to you in this thread. I'd rather debate the issue with someone who actually has the nation's best interests in mind. Your argument is essentially "I don't want any trains competing with my trucks...so I'll pretend to object to it on principle. By the way, pay your damn taxes for the interstate highway system, which is obviously a totally different situation."
    Last edited by Kandahar; 02-17-11 at 04:34 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #177
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    And obviously you can't understand that people could make exactly the same argument about a high-speed rail system. You're a hypocrite, and I'm done talking to you in this thread. I'd rather debate the issue with someone who actually has the nation's best interests in mind.
    "The nation's best interest" is a very subjective term. I haven't read this thread, but I'm asssuming you support the boondoggle of a project?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  8. #178
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    The only problem with that is that people in the US generally dont adequately use mass transit.
    Why would they? Their freeways are subsidized by a gas tax as are all of the other costs associated with driving that drivers do not have to realize.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #179
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    The only problem with that is that people in the US generally dont adequately use mass transit. How expensive is AMTRAK? In Florida the rail proposal is ONLY from Tampa to Orlando at a current cost of 2.4 billion but projected cost of over 3 billion. So its great if you live in either location...but why should taxpayers in Montana be forced to foot the bill for an under-utilized in-state rail system? Im fine with the concept if citizens in Illinois and Colorado want to jointly fund a Chicago to Denver project.

    In case anyone has missed it, we are 14 trillion dollars in debt. The Florida project requires the state to pay for cost overruns for operating the rail for a minimum of 20 years (they are already paying 13 million a year above and beyond user fees to maintain their current rail system).

    We are a nation on crack when it comes to the fed spending taxpayer dollars.

    Reason Foundation - Florida Taxpayers Ultimately Responsible for Extra High-Speed Rail Costs
    Again, because the infrastruture is terrible. As Obama said in his recent SOTUA, our infrastructure was graded as D-. You can see what happens when public transportation is well-maintained and far reaching. Look at NYC's train system or D.C.'s metro. It is convenient, safe, and affordable so people use it.

    AMTRAK is slow and expensive. Why would I pay $100 for a ticket to DC when I can drive there in less time? A high speed rail, however, is extremely fast, less expensive than flying, more comfortable, and better for the environment. Why wouldn't I use it?

    You're right. Underfunded, poorly-constructed transit systems don't get used. That's why we can either do it right or don't do it at all.

  10. #180
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    "The nation's best interest" is a very subjective term.
    Well just to be clear how *I* define it: A situation where the economic benefits to the nation outweigh the economic costs to the nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez
    I haven't read this thread, but I'm asssuming you support the boondoggle of a project?
    Generally speaking, yes. I don't know the details about the specific routes and I don't really have a big problem if states want to delay it by a couple years to fill their budget gaps...but in the long term we absolutely need a nationwide high-speed rail system.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 02-17-11 at 04:37 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •