Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 379

Thread: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

  1. #151
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Because, it's time for the government to be run like a business
    The government is NOT a business. Does the military turn a profit? Do the interstate highways turn a profit? Do public schools turn a profit? No...yet they're all vital for the well-being of our economy as a whole. They all provide far more benefits than costs, it's just that those benefits accrue to society instead of to the government.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #152
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Because, it's time for the government to be run like a business
    No, that's a horrible idea. Business should be run like a business. Government should be run like a government. There's nothing worse than believing that somehow the government should be a business, governments are never businesses, they are governments. The government doesn't need to produce a profit, the government merely needs to exist. There are things that government can do well, there are things that business can do well. There are things both do poorly; they can operate in a manner to offset those poor abilities. Let business be concerned with being a business and let government be concerned with being a government.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #153
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    The government is NOT a business. Does the military turn a profit? Do the interstate highways turn a profit? Do public schools turn a profit? No...yet they're all vital for the well-being of our economy as a whole. They all provide far more benefits than costs, it's just that those benefits accrue to society instead of to the government.
    Can you imagine a society where the military, highway systems, public schools, and justice systems were for-profit? It would be insane. I don't think many of these people realize what they are fighting for.

  4. #154
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Can you imagine a society where the military, highway systems, public schools, and justice systems were for-profit? It would be insane. I don't think many of these people realize what they are fighting for.
    No man, think of the possibilities! Our military could essentially be mercenaries; we can hire out to whatever government is willing to pay us. It would be great! Of course, we could never inject morals into that system; it's merely a system of profit...like a business. Whatever gives us the best profit is the direction we take.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #155
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    The government is NOT a business. Does the military turn a profit? Do the interstate highways turn a profit? Do public schools turn a profit? No...yet they're all vital for the well-being of our economy as a whole. They all provide far more benefits than costs, it's just that those benefits accrue to society instead of to the government.
    That attitude is the reason that so much government spending is wasted on bull****. The government needs to be run like a business. If it were, we would have a trillion dollar deficite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #156
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    No, that's a horrible idea. Business should be run like a business. Government should be run like a government. There's nothing worse than believing that somehow the government should be a business, governments are never businesses, they are governments. The government doesn't need to produce a profit, the government merely needs to exist. There are things that government can do well, there are things that business can do well. There are things both do poorly; they can operate in a manner to offset those poor abilities. Let business be concerned with being a business and let government be concerned with being a government.

    And government should be run like a business. The government shouldn't be spending money that it doesn't have. It sure as hell shouldn't be borrowing money to payoff debt; that's totally idiotic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #157
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And government should be run like a business. The government shouldn't be spending money that it doesn't have. It sure as hell shouldn't be borrowing money to payoff debt; that's totally idiotic.
    All government spends money it doesn't have. You're saying that we should wait to have cash on hand to make highway contracts that last a decade or so for highway repair? No, of course not. Nothing would get done that way. It's government, it makes the multiyear contracts and pays out as income comes into the State. The government has to operate in this manner because of the scale of things it must do. This isn't some little business putting in a parking lot. This is national level transportation. It's expensive, it's on a grand and aggregated scale, and it requires government which behaves like government to undertake.

    If you force government to run like business, then both business and government have the same fail modes instead of having offsetting fail modes. Wanting to force both government and business into the same fail modes, now that's totally idiotic
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #158
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And government should be run like a business. The government shouldn't be spending money that it doesn't have. It sure as hell shouldn't be borrowing money to payoff debt; that's totally idiotic.
    OK, let's look at this from a business perspective. When do businesses LOVE to borrow money? When they're investing in a long-term asset. High-speed rail is a perfect example of that. So rather than thinking "a complete high-speed rail system will cost $53 billion we don't have," it's better to consider the entire lifetime of the system. So if we go with a rather pessimistic view that it will only provide benefits for 25 years, that's roughly $2 billion per year.

    Chump change.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #159
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    All government spends money it doesn't have. You're saying that we should wait to have cash on hand to make highway contracts that last a decade or so for highway repair? No, of course not. Nothing would get done that way. It's government, it makes the multiyear contracts and pays out as income comes into the State. The government has to operate in this manner because of the scale of things it must do. This isn't some little business putting in a parking lot. This is national level transportation. It's expensive, it's on a grand and aggregated scale, and it requires government which behaves like government to undertake.

    If you force government to run like business, then both business and government have the same fail modes instead of having offsetting fail modes. Wanting to force both government and business into the same fail modes, now that's totally idiotic
    So, when the government had a surplus in funds, that was bad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #160
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Florida scraps high-speed rail plan pushed by Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    OK, let's look at this from a business perspective. When do businesses LOVE to borrow money? When they're investing in a long-term asset. High-speed rail is a perfect example of that. So rather than thinking "a complete high-speed rail system will cost $53 billion we don't have," it's better to consider the entire lifetime of the system. So if we go with a rather pessimistic view that it will only provide benefits for 25 years, that's roughly $2 billion per year.

    Chump change.
    They also borrow money when they're sure they're going to make a profit. Ding, ding, ding!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •