Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 131

Thread: CBS News' Lara Logan Assaulted During Egypt Protests

  1. #81
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: CBS Reporter Sexually Assaulted in Tahrir Square

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That's not what I said. Which I explicitly stated you should learn to read. Something being 'human' does not mean it's no big deal. Which is why I explicitly stated this was a horrible act IN THE SECOND SENTENCE OF MY POST. Maybe instead of being a self righteous little interpreter of sentences you should spend more time actually reading entire posts?

    Pretend you knew how to read and quit coming up with ideas. They're not your forte and you're just not that good at interpreting those of others.
    I did read your entire post. There was quick lip service about it being despicable on your way to saying, "eh, this is just, almost, human nature" and, indeed, minimizing this event since, after all, others have done it too.

    Not only can I read, I can read between the lines.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  2. #82
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: CBS Reporter Sexually Assaulted in Tahrir Square

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I did read your entire post.

    I did read your entire post. There was quick lip service about it being despicable on your way to saying, "eh, this is just, almost, human nature" and, indeed, minimizing this event since, after all, others have done it too.
    Obviously you didn't considering you're unable to understand that acknowledgment of a human trait does not mean justification of it. Example:

    A) Humans by nature are violent creatures.

    Does acknowledgment of the statement above mean you condone violence? No.

    Your logic simply does not follow.

    Not only can I read, I can read between the lines.
    You must be some kind of mind reader. What does your crystal ball look like? Got it on e-bay?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #83
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: CBS Reporter Sexually Assaulted in Tahrir Square

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Obviously you didn't considering you're unable to understand that acknowledgment of a human trait does not mean justification of it. Example:

    A) Humans by nature are violent creatures.

    Does acknowledgment of the statement above mean you condone violence? No.

    Your logic simply does not follow.



    You must be some kind of mind reader. What does your crystal ball look like? Got it on e-bay?
    Speaking of reading skills, I've not suggested that you or anyone else actually condone what happened here. I don't think you condone it, I just don't think you condemn it all that much either. How can you, when it's really just human nature?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  4. #84
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: CBS Reporter Sexually Assaulted in Tahrir Square

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Don't you see, though, by making a comment like "look how pretty she is" you're suggesting that, "well men are just men and they can't be responsible for what they do because look at what a looker she is after all", - like this whole thing should just be overlooked and I just think that's bull**** myself.

    I see sexual assault as being a worse thing to have to endure than a regular assault. I guess it's just the chauvinist side of me that tells me it's worse when a man assaults a woman than when he assaults another man.

    What a silly statement.
    So says a man who professes to chauvinism.

    A man being raped is just as devastating as a woman being raped, it's not "less worse" at all.

    What's worst is being killed, but that's just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Free_Radical View Post

    And I wasn't making an appeal to authority, I was making an appeal to the philosophical body of work of the founders, the worth and content of which should be well-known to anyone with a cursory understanding of basic history and philosophy.

    Brian

  5. #85
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: CBS Reporter Sexually Assaulted in Tahrir Square

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    So says a man who professes to chauvinism.

    A man being raped is just as devastating as a woman being raped, it's not "less worse" at all.

    What's worst is being killed, but that's just my opinion.
    Well except that you did not compare rape to rape, you compared assault to rape. Besides, a man is far less likely to be actually raped.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  6. #86
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,683
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: CBS Reporter Sexually Assaulted in Tahrir Square

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Speaking of reading skills, I've not suggested that you or anyone else actually condone what happened here. I don't think you condone it, I just don't think you condemn it all that much either. How can you, when it's really just human nature?
    Gang-rape is "just human nature"? Would you care to support that with some kind of legitimate rationale??

  7. #87
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: CBS Reporter Sexually Assaulted in Tahrir Square

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Gang-rape is "just human nature"? Would you care to support that with some kind of legitimate rationale??
    No, no DiAnna, that's not my argument at all. That was my sarcastic paraphrase of how I see Hatuey's argument. I'm not the one looking to explain away why these maggots did this.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  8. #88
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: CBS Reporter Sexually Assaulted in Tahrir Square

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Well except that you did not compare rape to rape, you compared assault to rape. Besides, a man is far less likely to be actually raped.
    I asked: If that was a man being assaulted, you would not be outraged?

    Clearly, I was comparing the gender, leaving the situation the same. You claim to have no problem with reading.

    I also noted that an Egyptian journalist was killed. If you haven't inferred yet, he was male.

    Just because male sexual abuse rarely happens (or perhaps just rarely reported) doesn't make it any less devastating. It's harder for man to deal with it because they don't have as wide a support group. Feminists fought for equal rights, that means man and woman should be treated equally. Assaults against anyone should engender equal outrage, not just against women.
    Quote Originally Posted by Free_Radical View Post

    And I wasn't making an appeal to authority, I was making an appeal to the philosophical body of work of the founders, the worth and content of which should be well-known to anyone with a cursory understanding of basic history and philosophy.

    Brian

  9. #89
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: CBS Reporter Sexually Assaulted in Tahrir Square

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Oh, well I disagree. Saying she asked for it puts a tint on it that she deserved it in some way. That couldn't be further from the truth. It's more about putting herself in a bad situation. If a reporter was groped during the LA riots would you have been surprised? When anarchy is the law, bad stuff happens to good people.

    ...

    You cannot put yourself into a bad situation and then act surprised about it. It doesn't make it right, it just is what it is.
    She was there for her job. I agree she wasn't asking for anything. I do however think she may have used poor judgement - she may have thought that since the demands of the people were met and people were happy that she was safe. And that is never the case with large crowds of people like that. I think her security let her down and I think she underestimated the level of danger in large crowds especially in a foreign country. The thing is, I was assume she knew about other reporters being attacked... and given the list of threatened and attacks on journalists in Cairo was MUCH longer than I thought, there was a break down of common sense here.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #90
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: CBS Reporter Sexually Assaulted in Tahrir Square

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Yes. What's your point?
    CBS should have known better than to send a blond out there. Companies have known for years that send someone with a more ethnic appearance to the ME is beneficial for business, and probably for safety as well. I don't blame CBS, but not paying attention to local custom as well may have contributed in some way to her "standing out".
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •