Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 101

Thread: Defector 'Curveball' admits he lied about Iraqi WMD

  1. #41
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Defector 'Curveball' admits he lied about Iraqi WMD

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    This is retarded, where are the mobile chemical weapons labs? Wheres the yellowcake?

    :O

    "The purple dragon under my bed is there but only you cant see it because I hid it really well but it existed."

    I respect your positivity, the cup is half full and these are merely half-truths.

    Clinging to WMD's ... still... a decade later. Please this is ****ing sad.
    Still clinging to the fact Bush lied for war is ****ing sad.

    WikiLeaks Show WMD Hunt Continued in Iraq With Surprising Results | Danger Room | Wired.com
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Defector 'Curveball' admits he lied about Iraqi WMD

    Erudite response... the yellowcake was shown to be a lie, as were the mobile chem weapons labs, Just because you gamble on a lie and end up living in a motel rather than starving in a gutter doesnt mean there was no lie. Please, make yourself useful and why don't you directly research which intelligence led directly to WMD finds that weren't the tattered undeployable remains of efforts during our alliance with them, stumbled upon years later, half defunct. No connections with al-quaeda, no smoking gun. Half the country thought Iraq was responsable for 9-11 and that they had nukes that were coming our way. That's the message they conveyed. The truth is far from this.

  3. #43
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Defector 'Curveball' admits he lied about Iraqi WMD

    This was before I retired and as I recall doing research on the subject for my Show at the time the evidence was much more than one defectors claims.

    For one thing Saddam did his best to make the world believe he had WMDs to insure that Iran would not attack Iraq again.

    Saddam also played cat and mouse with UN inspectors trying to find evidence of WMDs in the form of a Nuclear Program and it interpreted as hiding the same when in truth it was to keep his lack of them from coming to light.

    We also knew that Saddam did have Chemical weapons because he had used them on his own people. What we didn't know was to what extent they went.

    Turns out he had a pretty big stock pile of Chemical Artillery Shells in that warehouse that was burned making a lot of the Allied Troops sick in the process.

    I wonder if Curveball was payed for this story. His lies in my mind were used only to varify what the UN, ours and other Intelligences, already believed.

    The Left will once again ignore the volume of evidence used to get the Bi-Partisan votes in Congress that authorized the invasion

  4. #44
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Defector 'Curveball' admits he lied about Iraqi WMD

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    This was before I retired and as I recall doing research on the subject for my Show at the time the evidence was much more than one defectors claims.

    For one thing Saddam did his best to make the world believe he had WMDs to insure that Iran would not attack Iraq again.

    Saddam also played cat and mouse with UN inspectors trying to find evidence of WMDs in the form of a Nuclear Program and it interpreted as hiding the same when in truth it was to keep his lack of them from coming to light.

    We also knew that Saddam did have Chemical weapons because he had used them on his own people. What we didn't know was to what extent they went.

    Turns out he had a pretty big stock pile of Chemical Artillery Shells in that warehouse that was burned making a lot of the Allied Troops sick in the process.

    I wonder if Curveball was payed for this story. His lies in my mind were used only to varify what the UN, ours and other Intelligences, already believed.

    The Left will once again ignore the volume of evidence used to get the Bi-Partisan votes in Congress that authorized the invasion
    You're part right. But no one is arguing just Curveball. Chalibi and his heros in error were a group. curveball just took center stage because it was unbeliviable that he his intel was used. And we also have the coearsed testimoney of al-Libi, and the ignoring of evidence to the contrary, not to mention the entire Niger affair. All along the way, the very doubted evidence was presented to the public as if it were gospel. Doing so is to lie.

    And those stockpiles you mention were degraded, and not capable of being used as weapons. However, even if they were, they would not have amtched Bush's claims. Bush did not stay with what most of the world believed, that there were some wmds left. Bush took it further and declared, with absolutely no credible evidence, that Saddam was growing and gathering. This was a lie. Not just wrong. All the evidenc ehe presented on that was doubted across the board, and he did not present it that way.

    And congress never voted to declare war, or to invade. At the time, when congress critiers spoke up, they lost seats their jobs, so eing cowards, they voted to pass the buck the president. So while I condemn them for doing so, don't pretend that they voted to go to war.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #45
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Defector 'Curveball' admits he lied about Iraqi WMD

    i don't see how this is a surprise. The dude's code name was "curveball."

  6. #46
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Defector 'Curveball' admits he lied about Iraqi WMD

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I looked in the hall closet for my coat, it wasn't there...proof positive that there is no coat in my house.

    bush bashtards are the ones wetting themselves screaming Bush lied, the burden of proof is on them to show that he did lie.
    Like I said, I don't believe that Bush lied, but Bush was certainly lied to. Curveball's admission is lead pipe cinch proof of that.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #47
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Defector 'Curveball' admits he lied about Iraqi WMD

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Like I said, I don't believe that Bush lied, but Bush was certainly lied to. Curveball's admission is lead pipe cinch proof of that.
    I don't see why we're so hung up on whether or not Bush lied. The end result was still the same. Whether or not he knowingly or unknowingly misled the American public is irrelevant, and our involvement in Iraq was still a strategic mistake.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Defector 'Curveball' admits he lied about Iraqi WMD

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Like I said, I don't believe that Bush lied, but Bush was certainly lied to. Curveball's admission is lead pipe cinch proof of that.
    While I agree with StillBallin75, the fact is those reporting it to the president said they doubted him. So, someone comes to you and says we have this, but it's likely false. You say OK, but tell everyone we have this information, but don't tell us it is doubted, why would you not call that lying?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #49
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Defector 'Curveball' admits he lied about Iraqi WMD

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    While I agree with StillBallin75, the fact is those reporting it to the president said they doubted him. So, someone comes to you and says we have this, but it's likely false. You say OK, but tell everyone we have this information, but don't tell us it is doubted, why would you not call that lying?
    I won't go as far as to say Bush lied, but the onus was on his administration to prove beyond all doubt that the casus belli was sound and justified. The fact that it wasn't sound leads me to the conclusion that they likely had ulterior motives in invading Iraq (or just plain didn't know what they were doing).

  10. #50
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,128

    Re: Defector 'Curveball' admits he lied about Iraqi WMD

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Yes, he is ultimately responsible for our going to war based on a lie, but we need to look at the larger picture.
    The larger picture is that the world is not a safer place, Osama bin Laden is likely still alive, we are involved in two extremely expensive wars, and all of it was apparently because Bush relied on one person's intel. I would say that makes Bush one huge failure.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •