Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 145

Thread: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

  1. #111
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 05:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    85

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    OK, So "he" didn't actually do anything illegal because the majority in Parliament supported him. And of course he should run the country, with the approval of parliament, as he sees fit.


    Is prostitution now illegal in Italy? Have the Italians recently become rather prudish when it comes to sex? I thought they were more sophisticated than that. Someone seems to be making a big fuss out of this and getting people all excited. Who's the loudest voice?
    Not if it is done legally. But you seem to be saying that the entire political system in Italy is corrupt.



    I see where he was found guilty of one crime but amnesty was applied. You seem to be implying that "acquittal" is the same as guilty.

    Is he being recharged for any of those crimes?

    My point is that because he was acquitted for one reason or another he shouldn't be tried now on trumped up charges because people are pissed with him. None of what you said should be related to whatever the charges are against him now. In fact there are laws in the democracies to protect us from whatever we have done in the past to be reintroduced at another trial for unrelated offenses. This also smacks of double jeopardy.


    That's true, but it could also mean he has a lot of political enemies who want to make mischief. I can certainly understand his competition in the media wouldn't mind demonizing him, though that is also speculation.




    You want to make claims and then have me investigate their veracity? Not likely.



    No, i would find it irresponsible and wouldn't vote for him but that doesn't make it illegal. It is certainly, if true, poor judgment,

    But you said earlier he had to have the majority in Parliament. Did the entire Parliament vote against him and he, as one man, was still able to change the law? Does Italy not have a proper Constitution?
    as naive a list as i can imagine being fed to freddo in godfather I

  2. #112
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    Yes, and I envy the Italians their ability to hold leaders accountable - George W. Bush publicly admitted torturing people, and walks around a free man without a care in the world. US Republicans would probably murder any prosecutors who tried to go after him and Cheney.
    Who in the hell are you kidding, if there was a chance in hell of getting Bush for such a thing, you looned up liberals would have already had him in court.

    The wide eyed liberals can't accept the fact that there is nothing there to charge him with, with 2 full years of total control of the government, the looney tuners could find nothing...... I guess you figure if you keep saying it long enough … someone will believe the nonsense spewed from frothing mouths.

  3. #113
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Who in the hell are you kidding, if there was a chance in hell of getting Bush for such a thing, you looned up liberals would have already had him in court.
    I kind of think that was the point Troubadour was making.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  4. #114
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    A fascist sleazeball on many levels.

    Imagine a US president personally phoning a police station to get an underage prostitute of his aquaintance freed from a theft charge.
    -laughing- yeah .. almost like going on national TV and calling an entire police dept. stupid … while knowing nothing about what took place ….
    Last edited by The Barbarian; 02-18-11 at 04:33 AM.

  5. #115
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    -laughing- yeah .. almost like going on national TV and calling an entire police dept. stupid … while knowing nothing about what took place ….
    It must be awful to have a president who'd say all kinds of stupid things, like...

    1. "The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur."

    2. "If you say you're going to do something and don't do it, that's trustworthiness."

    3. "Justice ought to be fair."

    4. "If the terriers and bariffs are torn down, this economy will grow."

    5. "Reading is the basics for all learning."

    6. "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"

    7. "The important question is, how many hands have I shaked?"

    8. "September the 4th, 2001, I stood in the ruins of the Twin Towers. It's a day I will never forget."

    9. "Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream."

    10. "I remember meeting a mother of a child who was abducted by the North Koreans right here in the Oval Office."
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  6. #116
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    It must be awful to have a president who'd say all kinds of stupid things, like...

    1. "The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur."

    2. "If you say you're going to do something and don't do it, that's trustworthiness."

    3. "Justice ought to be fair."

    4. "If the terriers and bariffs are torn down, this economy will grow."

    5. "Reading is the basics for all learning."

    6. "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"

    7. "The important question is, how many hands have I shaked?"

    8. "September the 4th, 2001, I stood in the ruins of the Twin Towers. It's a day I will never forget."

    9. "Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream."

    10. "I remember meeting a mother of a child who was abducted by the North Koreans right here in the Oval Office."
    laughing .. I know and the hits just keep right on coming don't they?

    "No, no. I have been practicing...I bowled a 129. It's like -- it was like Special Olympics, or something."

    The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings and inefficiencies to our health care system." -

    "What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith...


    "Let me be absolutely clear. Israel is a strong friend of Israel's.”

    "On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes -- and I see many of them in the audience here today”

    "I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go."

  7. #117
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    You Yanks need to start getting smarter politicians.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  8. #118
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    You Yanks need to start getting smarter politicians.
    Americans don't like to vote in Smart Politicians because it makes them feel stupid...

  9. #119
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Americans don't like to vote in Smart Politicians because it makes them feel stupid...
    Supposedly the bunch in the White House is the best and brightest according to the liberal pundits. If this is good as it gets, we're in deep ****.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #120
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Supposedly the bunch in the White House is the best and brightest according to the liberal pundits. If this is good as it gets, we're in deep ****.
    I was speaking more in general, however one must admit, there is a very anti-intellectual vibe I get from American Politics...

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •