Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 145

Thread: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

  1. #91
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    To be a prostitute you have to be over the age of 18.

    So he can be charged with paying an underage prostitute.

    You're Canadian right? Why do you feel the need to defend a bloated, crooked, corrupt, bastard of a world leader in Italy?
    Because a) there's a chance of dissing Bill Clinton, big liberal hero and b) because Berlusconi is a big, right-wing success story and huge mate of Gaddafi, Grant's all-time hero.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    To be a prostitute you have to be over the age of 18.

    So he can be charged with paying an underage prostitute.

    You're Canadian right? Why do you feel the need to defend a bloated, crooked, corrupt, bastard of a world leader in Italy?
    If Berlusconi, or anyone, is guilty of anything, then they should be tried in a court of law.

    I suspect, and that would seem to be the case from the tone of your post, that he is being attacked for political and not sexual reasons.

    I just don't like the mob mentality before all the facts are in. Defending his rights is not the same as defending Berlusconi.

    Your harangue is unlikely to convince me of anything.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    Because a) there's a chance of dissing Bill Clinton, big liberal hero and b) because Berlusconi is a big, right-wing success story and huge mate of Gaddafi, Grant's all-time hero.
    Wow! That's quite a segue!

    Gaddafi??

    You left wingers are becoming more and more screwy!

  4. #94
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    If Berlusconi, or anyone, is guilty of anything, then they should be tried in a court of law.

    I suspect, and that would seem to be the case from the tone of your post, that he is being attacked for political and not sexual reasons.

    I just don't like the mob mentality before all the facts are in. Defending his rights is not the same as defending Berlusconi.

    Your harangue is unlikely to convince me of anything.
    If it's a free and fair trial and he is found not guilty, I'll accept that results.

    It doesn't change the fact that he's corrupt and shouldn't be in charge in the first place.

    Things like this shed some light on the tip of the iceberg of his corruption

    Silvio Berlusconi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Friendship with Vladimir Putin and Relation to RussiaBerlusconi has a warm relationship with Vladimir Putin.[61]

    In November 2007 Italy’s state-owned energy company Eni signed an agreement with Russian state-owned Gazprom to build the controversial South Stream pipeline.[62] Investigating Italian parliament members discovered that Central Energy Italian Gas Holding (CEIGH), a part of the Centrex Group, was to play a major role in the lucrative agreement. Bruno Mentasti-Granelli, a close friend of Berlusconi, owned 33 percent of CEIGH. Italian parliament blocked the contract and accused Berlusconi of having a personal interest in the Eni-Gazprom agreement.[62][63]

    On December 1, 2010, Wikileaks leaked American state diplomatic cables showing that American officials voiced concerns over Berlusconi's extraordinary closeness to Putin, "including 'lavish gifts,' lucrative energy contracts and a 'shadowy' Russian-speaking Italian go-between". Diplomats consider him "to be the mouthpiece of Putin" in Europe.[64]

    According to one of the leaked cables the Georgian ambassador in Rome has told to the American officials that Georgia believes Putin has promised Berlusconi a percentage of profits from any pipelines developed by Gazprom in coordination with Eni S.p.A..[65]
    Doesn't seem like a guy worth defending to be honest. Even if this is a political stint, he shouldn't be in office right now anyway.

  5. #95
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 05:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    85

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    If Berlusconi, or anyone, is guilty of anything, then they should be tried in a court of law.

    I suspect, and that would seem to be the case from the tone of your post, that he is being attacked for political and not sexual reasons.

    I just don't like the mob mentality before all the facts are in. Defending his rights is not the same as defending Berlusconi.

    Your harangue is unlikely to convince me of anything.
    tru dat; at the same time, the civil rights marches were as appropriate as the legal movements of the 60's. after all, the "legal system' did little to prevent decades of lynchings or murder of civil rights workers

  6. #96
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,272
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by diablo45 View Post
    tru dat; at the same time, the civil rights marches were as appropriate as the legal movements of the 60's. after all, the "legal system' did little to prevent decades of lynchings or murder of civil rights workers
    Ah...

    What?

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    If it's a free and fair trial and he is found not guilty, I'll accept that results.
    And yet you're already calling him "crooked, corrupt, bloated" etc.
    It doesn't change the fact that he's corrupt and shouldn't be in charge in the first place.
    Where has he been found guilty of corruption?

    Things like this shed some light on the tip of the iceberg of his corruption
    That Wiki thing says nothing. What clear evidence is there of any wrongdoing? Nameless innuendos and speculation, all political it seems, mean nothing. They would be laughed at in any democratic court of law.

    Doesn't seem like a guy worth defending to be honest. Even if this is a political stint, he shouldn't be in office right now anyway.
    Because of a prevailing mob mentality?

    I've seen film of those mobs in Europe in the past and am suspicious of all of them.

  8. #98
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    If Berlusconi, or anyone, is guilty of anything, then they should be tried in a court of law.
    I agree, problem is Berlusconi has changed the law time and time again to avoid a trial. The only one he has not changed, ironically, is the "sex with minors for money" laws..

    I suspect, and that would seem to be the case from the tone of your post, that he is being attacked for political and not sexual reasons.
    Of course he is being attacked for political reasons. He is corrupt as hell and runs the country as his personal business empire. He has bought every election pretty much and changed laws for his favour and against his enemies. Ironically he has actually changed laws so to hurt people like Murdoch haha.. because Murdoch and Newscorp are mortal enemies of his business empire.

    I just don't like the mob mentality before all the facts are in.
    The facts are in. He is corrupt and he has had sex orgies with prostitutes at his official residents. One of them at least happened to be under age. There are several eye witnesses call girls calling him an ATM..

    Defending his rights is not the same as defending Berlusconi.
    His rights? You mean the "rights" he has formed for himself by putting laws in place to protect him from investigation and legal challenges? Those rights?.. rights only HE has?
    Last edited by PeteEU; 02-16-11 at 05:52 PM.
    PeteEU

  9. #99
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So she is "underage"?

    Are you quite certain?

    I'll bet this "underage girl" is really enjoying the publicity.

    It's amazing to see how quickly people can believe anything they're told. and then get all excited about it. It's like a mob frenzy.
    I have no idea if she's underage or not. I just wanted the opportunity to post the pic.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Silvio Berlusconi To Stand Trial

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    I agree, problem is Berlusconi has changed the law time and time again to avoid a trial. The only one he has not changed, ironically, is the "sex with minors for money" laws..
    Are the laws in Italy is such a sad state that any political leader can change them at their own whim? My understanding is that both parties have denied that any money exchanged hands. Who is actually making these charges?


    Of course he is being attacked for political reasons. He is corrupt as hell and runs the country as his personal business empire. He has bought every election pretty much and changed laws for his favour and against his enemies. Ironically he has actually changed laws so to hurt people like Murdoch haha.. because Murdoch and Newscorp are mortal enemies of his business empire.
    You say he is as "corrupt as hell" but bring no evidence, just the usual gossip and speculation.
    The facts are in. He is corrupt and he has had sex orgies with prostitutes at his official residents. One of them at least happened to be under age. There are several eye witnesses call girls calling him an ATM..
    You keep claiming he is corrupt but offer no hard evidence. And so what if he has "sex orgies" with prostitutes? Is that illegal in Italy or has Europe suddenly gone all puritan again?
    His rights? You mean the "rights" he has formed for himself by putting laws in place to protect him from investigation and legal challenges? Those rights?.. rights only HE has?
    If one man is able to put laws in place in Italy, or any European country, it seems that they have gone back to their bad old ways, and "sex orgies" should be the least of their worries.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •