Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 59

Thread: German firm in talks to purchase NYSE

  1. #41
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: German firm in talks to purchase NYSE

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I remember somebody bought the London exchange a few years ago... well, more like 5 to 6 years ago
    No. NASDAQ tried to merge (buy) the LSE, but failed. This was in 2005. The LSE is still owned by London Stock Exchange Group, which was founded in 1801.
    PeteEU

  2. #42
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: German firm in talks to purchase NYSE

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    You are the biggest market.. go figure!



    Problem with productivity numbers is that they include the sectors like financials, which frankly dont require much man power or productivity to do. Hence the numbers are skewed, which is why Luxenbourg is top. Norway is top because of its oil, and the US is top because of its massive consumer economy.

    But looking at your stats from OECD (your link dont work btw) you find something very striking. Lets take two powerhouses... the US vs Germany.

    The average US worker works 1681 hours a year and creates 57.4 GDP per worked hour.
    The average German worker works 1390 hours a year and creates 53.3 GDP per worked hour.

    Considering the German worker works almost 300 hours LESS a year (17% less) and yet manages to only do 4.1 GDP (7% less) less per worked hour... then I would claim that the German worker is far more productive with the time he puts into his work than American's are.



    You mean Facebook? Well if it was not because of Sir Timothy John Berner's Lee, a UK citizen.. aka a Brit, there would be no Facebook.
    Yes, not a Spanaird.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #43
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,253

    Re: German firm in talks to purchase NYSE

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Yes population.. but not how much said population has to work to achieve said GDP per Capita. And that is my point. German's work much less to achieve a gdp per capita that is close to that of the US, and especially close to that of GDP per worked hour.
    You have no point; Americans work more hours than most other nations and are more productive save for some minor outliers.

    It is a fact.
    A quant's ability to price accurately minimizes market inefficiency; see the difference between the Japanese economy (which relies heavily on quantitative analysis) and that of North Korea (which uses central planning).

    I fail to see the funny part.
    I can see that.

    There is no error. Maybe you should wrap your head around it and think... they are two different statistics, which together proves my point.
    Which is my point. One statistic showed average hours worked, and the other is the ratio for which we measure worker productivity (output per hours worked). The former shows that American workers spend more time working than their foreign counterparts, while the other shows (in regards to Germany) that the US is more productive (by 7%) on a per hour basis.

    So even if we were to hold total hours worked in the US at Germany's (to keep total hours from skewing the amount of output), the US will still have more output than Germany even if they work the same amount of time. The fact that American workers have such high productivity numbers given their time spent at work is impressive as well. If you go back to the OECD stats, the only nation that has an average hours worked > 1600 and has a productivity number > 50 is the United States. Reason be, marginal productivity diminishes as hours increase.

    Prove it. I can claim that Denmark's ingenuity is second to none as well, but I cant prove it.. so you prove the US's ingenuity is second to none.
    How many Nobel Prizes have Americans won vs the rest of the world? How many computer science patents are issued to Americans every year? Again, this is quite impressive given that a significant portion of aggregate research and development military/defense based.

    Imagine what we could do if we were not bogged down defending the free world?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  4. #44
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: German firm in talks to purchase NYSE

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    You have no point; Americans work more hours than most other nations and are more productive save for some minor outliers.
    Exactly.. you work the most hours and yet you dont get the relative benefit out of it.

    Which is my point. One statistic showed average hours worked, and the other is the ratio for which we measure worker productivity (output per hours worked). The former shows that American workers spend more time working than their foreign counterparts, while the other shows (in regards to Germany) that the US is more productive (by 7%) on a per hour basis.
    Again, American workers work 17% more than the Germans, but only get 7% more output. In my book that is not very productive at all.

    What would you do.. work 100 hours for 100 dollars or work 83 hours for 93 dollars?

    How many Nobel Prizes have Americans won vs the rest of the world? How many computer science patents are issued to Americans every year? Again, this is quite impressive given that a significant portion of aggregate research and development military/defense based.
    There are 829 prizes in history.

    You have 326 noble prize winners and of those 84 were not born in the US. If we use today's population then that is about 1 per 1 million people, and much less if we dont count those not born in the US.

    Germany on the other hand has 102 prize winners, and 11 were not born within the borders of what is Germany today. However of those 11, most were born within the borders of Germany at the time of their birth. Germany has today 80 million people.

    My own country of Denmark has had 13 prize winners, out of a population of 5 million. Much better return on investment no?

    Imagine what we could do if we were not bogged down defending the free world?
    Considering it is your military industrial complex that has stood for most of the real American innovations, then probably no where.
    Last edited by PeteEU; 02-14-11 at 02:12 PM.
    PeteEU

  5. #45
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,253

    Re: German firm in talks to purchase NYSE

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Exactly.. you work the most hours and yet you dont get the relative benefit out of it.



    Again, American workers work 17% more than the Germans, but only get 7% more output. In my book that is not very productive at all.

    What would you do.. work 100 hours for 100 dollars or work 83 hours for 93 dollars?
    You are still failing to grasp the concept of productivity. We are getting 7% more output per hour worked. This means, if one American worker and one German worker performed the same function, the American worker would produce 7% more EVERY HOUR.

    By the time the two workers put in 1000 hours, the American will produce 7% more.

    If you still cannot understand this concept, then i don't know what else to tell you. Be a man and admit your error in reasoning.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  6. #46
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    02-20-11 @ 06:22 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    194

    Re: German firm in talks to purchase NYSE

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    I'm interested in hearing from the pro-Capitalist Americana side of this. Should ANYTHING be for sale?
    We no longer have many choices. The republicans thought they could thumb their noses at the world and they lost. Now everybody has to pay.

  7. #47
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    02-20-11 @ 06:22 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    194

    Re: German firm in talks to purchase NYSE

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Americans work more hours than most other nations and are more productive save for some minor outliers.
    Americans are pwned by their bosses.

  8. #48
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: German firm in talks to purchase NYSE

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    You are still failing to grasp the concept of productivity. We are getting 7% more output per hour worked. This means, if one American worker and one German worker performed the same function, the American worker would produce 7% more EVERY HOUR.

    By the time the two workers put in 1000 hours, the American will produce 7% more.

    If you still cannot understand this concept, then i don't know what else to tell you. Be a man and admit your error in reasoning.
    And YOU dont get it.. you are getting 7% more per hour, but you work 17% more to get that total GDP!
    PeteEU

  9. #49
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,253

    Re: German firm in talks to purchase NYSE

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    And YOU dont get it.. you are getting 7% more per hour, but you work 17% more to get that total GDP!
    Your point is irrelevant. I never claimed that we did not work 17% more, so i am not sure what you are trying to accomplish other than saving face (which is impossible given your previous comments).

    You stated:
    American productivity is not that good, compared to the number of hours you work... in fact it is rather pathetic.
    This quote does not make sense because you are inferring that the reason we are so productive is because of the number of hours worked (which is incorrect). Here is your last chance to admit your error.

    US: $54.7 per hour * 1681 hours = $91,950.7 (on average) each worker contributes to GDP.

    Germany: $53.3 per hour * 1390 hours = $74,087 (on average) each worker contributes to GDP.



    Now, lets factor for the difference in hours worked between the two countries by assuming they both work the same amount of hours (in terms of both nations).

    US: $54.7 per hour * 1390 hours = $76,033

    Germany: 53.3 per hour * 1681 hours = $89,597.3

    We then have:

    (US)$91,950.7 > (Germany)$89,597.3 in terms of US hours.

    (US)$76,033 > (Germany)$74,087 in terms of German hours.

    Therefore, the US is more productive than Germany.

    I am not claiming that (US)$76,033 > (Germany)$89,597.3

    The fact that American workers work (on average) 291 more hours a year than German workers has nothing to do with their respective productivity, but it does configure in aggregate output (which we were never discussing).

    The correct statement is, the size of our GDP is also attributed to the amount of hours worked (as well as the number of workers working, and their average productivity). Now do you understand? If not, you have no business discussing such concepts.
    Last edited by Kushinator; 02-15-11 at 04:01 PM.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  10. #50
    Advisor LimeLight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    01-15-12 @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    343

    Re: German firm in talks to purchase NYSE

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    The average US worker works 1681 hours a year and creates 57.4 GDP per worked hour.
    The average German worker works 1390 hours a year and creates 53.3 GDP per worked hour.
    You already stated the amount of GDP per worked hour. The American worker not only works more hours per year, they contribute more per hour. You already stated the GDP per worked hour. You can't divide it again.
    I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

    Umberto Eco

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •