Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 349

Thread: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

  1. #81
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    This, to me, is an incredible moment. Not just for Egypt, but for every country in the world. This is an example of a highly-militarized government being cast down by the popular will of the people without significant violence.

    This is what gives me hope for a peaceful road to a Socialist society.
    THAT road wouldn't be peaceful, at least not here.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  2. #82
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    This, to me, is an incredible moment. Not just for Egypt, but for every country in the world. This is an example of a highly-militarized government being cast down by the popular will of the people without significant violence.

    This is what gives me hope for a peaceful road to a Socialist society.
    They cast aside a highly-militarized government to have the army take complete control of the government?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Some of the conservatives on this thread, if they'd been in Boston, Massachusetts in 1776, when the Declaration of Independence was read and distributed widely...
    "This can't possibly work. There will be anarchy and chaos! People will die! THIS IS GOING TO BE VERY, VERY BAD. I can't believe you people are celebrating in the streets."

    Those same conservatives, 1779...
    "This war has been dragging on forever, and we are getting nowhere. Houses are being burned, people are being killed, and we're running out of money. We should have stayed loyal to King George. Stupid protesters and their stupid tea parties caused this entire mess. Oh, and George Washington is a complete incompetent who doesn't know what the hell he's doing."

    Those same conservatives in 1787...
    "Well, this will never work. It's practically a military coup. You realize that George Washington isn't a politician, he's a GENERAL IN THE ARMY. WE DON'T EVEN HAVE A FORMAL CONSTITUTION YET. Rights will be trampled on! Laws will be violated! The army will be running things!"

    I'm sure glad that Apdst, Erod, Zimmer and the Prof weren't running things in the U.S. in 1776. Or, 1779. Or 1787.

    We'd all still have british accents and be paying out the ass for tea.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 02-11-11 at 05:16 PM.

  4. #84
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Some of the conservatives on this thread, if they'd been in Boston, Massachusetts in 1776, when the Declaration of Independence was read and distributed widely...
    "This can't possibly work. There will be anarchy and chaos! People will die! THIS IS GOING TO BE VERY, VERY BAD. I can't believe you people are celebrating in the streets."

    Those same conservatives, 1779...
    "This war has been dragging on forever, and we are getting nowhere. Houses are being burned, people are being killed, and we're running out of money. We should have stayed loyal to King George. Stupid protesters and their stupid tea parties caused this entire mess. Oh, and George Washington is a complete incompetent who doesn't know what the hell he's doing."

    Those same conservatives in 1787...
    "Well, this will never work. It's practically a military coup. You realize that George Washington isn't a politician, he's a GENERAL IN THE ARMY. WE DON'T EVEN HAVE A FORMAL CONSTITUTION YET. Rights will be trampled on! Laws will be violated! The army will be running things!"

    I'm sure glad that Apdst, Erod, Zimmer and the Prof weren't running things in the U.S. in 1776. Or, 1779. Or 1787.

    We'd all still have british accents and be paying out the ass for tea.
    Is this supposed to be relevant in any way to the topic ???

    Don't try to derail my thread with nonsense !

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  5. #85
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    THAT road wouldn't be peaceful, at least not here.
    That's why resistances and rebellions need to occur ONLY to install a democratic government. People will naturally take to Socialist ideas if they are not manipulated in the other direction as they are in the US.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    They cast aside a highly-militarized government to have the army take complete control of the government?
    The government of Egypt has been military for generations. The military currently has control of the government to avoid anarchy. I dont see any indications that this will become a military dictatorship, but only time will truly tell. I hope I'm right.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  6. #86
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Happy Times Are Hear Again. That's the name of a song isn't it?

  7. #87
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    That's why resistances and rebellions need to occur ONLY to install a democratic government. People will naturally take to Socialist ideas if they are not manipulated in the other direction as they are in the US.
    uhhhh, I think you have that backwards. We don't accept socialism because we have the knowledge and ability to reject it.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Is this supposed to be relevant in any way to the topic ???

    Don't try to derail my thread with nonsense !
    You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

    You can't topple a dictatorship without risking upheaval and turmoil.

    The situation in Egypt was untenable and unsustainable. The crushing oppression of the regime was feeding Islamic terrorism. Now, there is a chance for something different, and that different thing could be 80 million people having liberty.

    These people gathered, peacefully. They learned that they had the power to topple Mubarak. That knowledge is a powerful thing. Do not discount the heroism of people who get a little taste of freedom, and what they will do to keep it.

    And yes, my post was relevant. Sorry that it was, perhaps, too subtle for you.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 02-11-11 at 05:22 PM.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    Happy Times Are Hear Again. That's the name of a song isn't it?
    Not exactly.

  10. #90
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post

    And yes, my post was relevant. Sorry that it was, perhaps, too subtle for you.
    Funny, all I saw was bashing of fellow posters using a facetious analogy.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •