Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 349

Thread: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

  1. #141
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,511

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    To that point, democracy requires the peaceful transition of power again and again and again. This part of the world has never demonstrated that.

    America went from Reagan to Bush to Clinton to Bush to Obama without rioting in the streets over party control. Is Egypt capable of that? Is any country capable of that in the third world?

    Too many times, any real threat as a challenger turns up dead before the election in that part of the world.
    Or, the incumbant wins with 98% of the vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #142
    Advisor Badfish420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MA, USA
    Last Seen
    07-18-11 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    411

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    3 random definitions of democracy that i found from a quick google search

    . the political orientation of those who favor government by the people or by their elected representatives
    . a political system in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who can elect people to represent them
    . majority rule: the doctrine that the numerical majority of an organized group can make decisions binding on the whole group

    none of these say anything about aggressiveness of a nation or what people decide to do with there democratic power.
    a democracy can be violent, it can be religious, it can be unstable, it can be random, it can be unfavorable.
    as long as the people elect there officals (legitimately) it is a democracy.
    'I believe that, as long as there is plenty, poverty is evil.' - Bobby Kennedy

  3. #143
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,511

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Badfish420 View Post
    3 random definitions of democracy that i found from a quick google search

    . the political orientation of those who favor government by the people or by their elected representatives
    . a political system in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who can elect people to represent them
    . majority rule: the doctrine that the numerical majority of an organized group can make decisions binding on the whole group

    none of these say anything about aggressiveness of a nation or what people decide to do with there democratic power.
    a democracy can be violent, it can be religious, it can be unstable, it can be random, it can be unfavorable.
    as long as the people elect there officals (legitimately) it is a democracy.
    In that case, the people of any democratic nation that attacks it's neighbors can be considered enemy combatants. Yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #144
    Advisor Badfish420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MA, USA
    Last Seen
    07-18-11 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    411

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    In that case, the people of any democratic nation that attacks it's neighbors can be considered enemy combatants. Yes?
    um i dont know the policies of military or the terminology to comment on that but i'm guessing thats pretty irrelevant. what i do know is democracy is a government of the people by the people.
    'I believe that, as long as there is plenty, poverty is evil.' - Bobby Kennedy

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    01-26-14 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,216

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Exactly. The pals are hell bent on destroying Israel and killing Jews.

    You make a good point.
    Great generalization. It's almost as laughable as the idea that you are looking for an honest discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    To that point, democracy requires the peaceful transition of power again and again and again. This part of the world has never demonstrated that.
    Yes, like the peaceful transition that happened in 1776 in colonial America.

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    America went from Reagan to Bush to Clinton to Bush to Obama without rioting in the streets over party control. Is Egypt capable of that? Is any country capable of that in the third world?
    Nice false analogy. There was no rioting for any of those presidents because they all served their term and relinquished control. They did not impose martial law, suspend consitutional rights, and stay in power for decades.

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    01-26-14 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,216

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    In that case, the people of any democratic nation that attacks it's neighbors can be considered enemy combatants. Yes?
    No, because there's a definition of who is considered an enemy combatant. The type of ideology you stated is too similar to bin Laden's reasoning for targeting American civilians.

  7. #147
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,507

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Some of the conservatives on this thread, if they'd been in Boston, Massachusetts in 1776, when the Declaration of Independence was read and distributed widely..."This can't possibly work. There will be anarchy and chaos! People will die! THIS IS GOING TO BE VERY, VERY BAD. QUOTE] etc...
    Funny. You sound just like Rumsfeld.

    From the DOD News Briefing following the fall of Baghdad, April 11, 2003:
    I picked up a newspaper today and I couldn't believe it. I read eight headlines that talked about chaos, violence, unrest. And it just was Henny Penny -- "The sky is falling." I've never seen anything like it! And here is a country that's being liberated, here are people who are going from being repressed and held under the thumb of a vicious dictator, and they're free.
    Donald Rumsfeld - Wikiquote

  8. #148
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,511

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Badfish420 View Post
    um i dont know the policies of military or the terminology to comment on that but i'm guessing thats pretty irrelevant. what i do know is democracy is a government of the people by the people.
    It's very relevant. If it's the, "will of the people", to launch a terrorist attack and kill American civilians, then that would make the people enemy combatants...IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #149
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,511

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Degreez View Post
    Great generalization. It's almost as laughable as the idea that you are looking for an honest discussion.
    How was I generalizing?


    Yes, like the peaceful transition that happened in 1776 in colonial America.
    What about the peaceful transitions that have happened thousands of time since?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #150
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,511

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Degreez View Post
    No, because there's a definition of who is considered an enemy combatant. The type of ideology you stated is too similar to bin Laden's reasoning for targeting American civilians.
    It's why I used it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •