Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 134

Thread: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Case?

  1. #1
    Sage
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    05-21-18 @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,753

    Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Case?

    Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Case?

    Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas Should Sit Out On Health Care Case, Democrats Say - ABC News


    Seventy-Four Democrats Say Justice Thomas Should Recuse Himself Because of Wife's Lobbying


    Seventy-four House Democrats, led by New York Rep. Anthony Weiner, sent a letter to Justice Clarence Thomas Wednesday calling on him to sit out deliberations on the Affordable Care Act because of his wife's ties to a lobbying group that opposes the health care law.

    "The appearance of a conflict of interest merits recusal under federal law," the letter said. "From what we have already seen, the line between your impartiality and you and your wife's financial stake in the overturn of healthcare reform is blurred."


    By any means necessary...... other than by the rule of law I guess.
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

  2. #2
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,126

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    It's stupid to suggest that Thomas recuse himself from ruling on Obamacare.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  3. #3
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's stupid to suggest that Thomas recuse himself from ruling on Obamacare.
    It isn't stupid. Justice Thomas can find himself bordering conflict of interests, so it a reasonable question. I personally don't think he should, but it still isn't a stupid question.

  4. #4
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,126

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    It isn't stupid. Justice Thomas can find himself bordering conflict of interests, so it a reasonable question. I personally don't think he should, but it still isn't a stupid question.
    The Dems are scared ****less of the final decision, so they're trying to rig the court. It's stupid. It's why they lost in November and why they'll lose even more seats in 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  5. #5
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The Dems are scared ****less of the final decision, so they're trying to rig the court. It's stupid. It's why they lost in November and why they'll lose even more seats in 2012.
    None of this changes the fact that Justice Thomas does find himself bordering conflict of interest though. Personally, I think that if either Justice Kagan or Thomas were to recuse themselves than the other should as well. Both are in gray areas about the bill.

  6. #6
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    It isn't stupid. Justice Thomas can find himself bordering conflict of interests, so it a reasonable question. I personally don't think he should, but it still isn't a stupid question.
    Gee I don't know .. should GE remove it's self from receiving any government funding …...President Obama's decision to tap General Electric Co. Chief Executive Jeffrey Immelt to lead an initiative on jobs and U.S. competitiveness

    Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest as well?

    Why not just get bold and call this for what it is, a political move to remove someone from judging the health care bill that those 74 democrats believe will vote against the health care bill … it's really that simple

  7. #7
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Gee I don't know .. should GE remove it's self from receiving any government funding …...President Obama's decision to tap General Electric Co. Chief Executive Jeffrey Immelt to lead an initiative on jobs and U.S. competitiveness

    Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest as well?

    Why not just get bold and call this for what it is, a political move to remove someone from judging the health care bill that those 74 democrats believe will vote against the health care bill … it's really that simple
    And you know what? Five days before this story was written Senator Hatch said he thinks Justice Kagan should recuse herself as well. Is it political? Of course it is, both sides want a justice gone to help their side. But again none of this changes the fact that both Justices find themselves bordering conflict of interest for this case.

  8. #8
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:09 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    94,658
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    By any means necessary...... other than by the rule of law I guess.
    Do you just make this **** up? Nothing illegal done here. Nothing suggesting anything illegal. Nothing inappropriate with suggesting some one recuse themselves. In fact, this is a whole lotta nothing except information. Conspiracy theory nonsense is stupid.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  9. #9
    Sage
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    I love your hate.
    Last Seen
    05-21-18 @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    79,753

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Do you just make this **** up? Nothing illegal done here. Nothing suggesting anything illegal. Nothing inappropriate with suggesting some one recuse themselves. In fact, this is a whole lotta nothing except information. Conspiracy theory nonsense is stupid.


    What are you talking about?



    Wiener and 74 democrats want to stack the SCOTUS deck by asking thomas to recuse himself. I think they are wrong for doing so. What's your problem?
    You should try to remember, ideas are conveyed by researching information, vetting sources, and confirming said information. Not by regurgitating talking points given to you by your "news" station.
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful, but hate me all the more.

  10. #10
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,397

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    Thomas wouldn't know a conflict of interest if it stared him in the face...he'll just wait to see what Scalia will do and then will cast his vote accordingly.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •