Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 134

Thread: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Case?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    If Thomas should recuse himself, then so should Kagan if they ever decide on gay marriage.

  2. #42
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Or they feel he has a conflict of interest. Not surprising since they are democrats you would see the sinister, even when it may not(probably isn't) there.
    Just read a little on Ginni Thomas' Liberty consulting. Am puzzled how this translates to a conflict of interest regarding a ruling a on Health Care??

    How would Thomas benefit financially.....??



    .


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

  3. #43
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    If Thomas should recuse himself, then so should Kagan if they ever decide on gay marriage.
    Kagan has been recusing herself frequently and there is no indication she has rules on any case where she had previously worked.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #44
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    If Thomas should recuse himself, then so should Kagan if they ever decide on gay marriage.
    (Sort of thought someone may go there. But Kagan has never "come out". So you need to prepare to be throttled mercilessly....)


    .


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

  5. #45
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Just read a little on Ginni Thomas' Liberty consulting. Am puzzled how this translates to a conflict of interest regarding a ruling a on Health Care??

    How would Thomas benefit financially.....??
    The argument is that his wife would benefit, which would benefit him. I am not convinced of the argument, and I actually believe he will act appropriately on the matter. My comments is that asking some one you see with a potential conflict of interest to recuse themselves is not trying to stack the deck. It is quite possibly a legitimate fear on the parts of those who asked him to recuse himself. We are quick to automatically assume that politicians have nefarious motives, when usually a much more benign explanation fits better.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #46
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    (Sort of thought someone may go there. But Kagan has never "come out". So you need to prepare to be throttled mercilessly....)
    Oh ****, I completely misunderstood his argument. She would have to recuse herself if she was involved in either case working their way towards SCOTUS(the Mass and Cali cases). She would not have to recuse herself for being gay(if she is), just as the rest of the judges would not have to recuse themselves for being strait. The argument that gays should not rule on SSM cases is stupid.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #47
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Im not saying you are wrong... but how sad is it that we are talking along these lines. I dont care what their personal bias is, the SOLE driving factor should be does it pass constitutional muster.
    Truth. Which is why I am of the opinion if one decides to go the other should as well. Can you imagine the bitching we would hear if the Court's ruling was either in favor or against the bill if Kagan recuses herself and Thomas doesn't or vice versa.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    I have never seen any explanation of who Thomas has lobbied for in the past regarding health care reform. This article certainly doesn't mention any connection.

    It does say that Ginsburg has frequently been criticized for not recusing herself when cases came before the court that could impact her husband's business.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  9. #49
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Thomas wouldn't know a conflict of interest if it stared him in the face...he'll just wait to see what Scalia will do and then will cast his vote accordingly.
    Do you have a source to support this assertion, or are you making **** up again?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #50
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Elena Kagan Sit Out Health Care Ca

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The argument is that his wife would benefit, which would benefit him. I am not convinced of the argument, and I actually believe he will act appropriately on the matter. My comments is that asking some one you see with a potential conflict of interest to recuse themselves is not trying to stack the deck. It is quite possibly a legitimate fear on the parts of those who asked him to recuse himself. We are quick to automatically assume that politicians have nefarious motives, when usually a much more benign explanation fits better.
    Should have been more explicit. (thought about it when i was typing)

    Am asking how Mrs Thomas would benefit financially by her husband ruling one way or the other? Didn't see anything in her lobbying activities that related directly to the Health Care Bill.


    .


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •