Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 50

Thread: Egypt's Mubarak to step down

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak to step down

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    They have existing trust in Egypt's officials/institutions to be shattered?
    The military is still trusted. Indeed, the military's cautious approach has likely paid dividends for the military's credibility among the protesters.

  2. #12
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,598

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak to step down

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    The military is still trusted. Indeed, the military's cautious approach has likely paid dividends for the military's credibility among the protesters.
    Until the goats are seperated from the sheep and the party that ends up on top of the **** heap uses the military to crush any opposition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #13
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak to step down

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    Another account of developments from The Jerusalem Post:

    The military's supreme council was meeting Thursday, without the commander in chief Mubarak, and announced on state TV its "support of the legitimate demands of the people." A spokesman read a statement that the council was in permanent session to explore "what measures and arrangements could be made to safeguard the nation, its achievements and the ambitions of its great people."

    The statement was labeled "communique number 1," a phrasing that suggests a military coup.


    Notably absent was Vice President Suleiman.

    Right now, little is certain in terms of exact details except that some kind of transition is now underway in Egypt. Whether the transition is voluntary for President Mubarak remains to be certain. Perhaps that is what the Information Minister was hinting at. If, in fact, the Army is moving the transition, it is entirely possible that someone other than VP Suleiman might, in fact, temporarily hold power. Nonetheless, uncertain as details might be, the transition is not likely to see the Egypt-Israel peace treaty overturned or Egypt's major international relationships dramatically altered.
    In exchange for his recent position, and perhaps now step-down, Mubarak I'm sure wants some kind of amnesty from "Suleiman's govt".
    ie, he won't be arrested for crimes of murder, torture, suppression, corruption, theft, etc.
    Without such, 'stepping down' is suicide for Mubarak.

    But is there really any protection for what he's probably trying to broker. A national and International pardon for bowing out.
    Besides 'crimes against humanity' there's tens of Billions of dollars.
    Last edited by mbig; 02-10-11 at 12:55 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak to step down

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    The military is still trusted. Indeed, the military's cautious approach has likely paid dividends for the military's credibility among the protesters.
    Yes, that's true, even though Mubarak and Suleiman come from the military. I have been impressed. The military's actions have been commendable for the most part, aside from standing by while pro-Mubarak supporters attacked the protesters. I was just listening to comments on Al-Jazeera English and some Egyptian was saying that businessmen have accumulated wealth at the expense of the people. I had heard several days ago that the military has very broad and deep business interests, that they will not want to give up.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak to step down

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    In exchange for his recent position, and perhaps now step-down, Mubarak I'm sure wants some kind of amnesty from "Suleiman's govt".
    ie, he won't be arrested for crimes of murder, torture, suppression, corruption, theft, etc.
    Without such, 'stepping down' is suicide for Mubarak.

    But is there really any protection for what he's probably trying to broker. A national and International pardon for bowing out.
    Besides 'crimes against humanity' there's Tens of Billions of dollars.
    My guess is that if VP Suleiman takes over, President Mubarak would have a chance to live the rest of his life in dignity without fear of prosecution. A military takeover might also afford the same prospect, though there might be some elements who would disagree.

    International prosecution is not likely. I highly doubt that Egypt would accept or accommodate international intervention into what it would see as a wholly internal affair. Indeed, attempts at international intervention could worsen things.

  6. #16
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak to step down

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    My guess is that if VP Suleiman takes over, President Mubarak would have a chance to live the rest of his life in dignity without fear of prosecution. A military takeover might also afford the same prospect, though there might be some elements who would disagree.

    International prosecution is not likely. I highly doubt that Egypt would accept or accommodate international intervention into what it would see as a wholly internal affair. Indeed, attempts at international intervention could worsen things.
    I think a deal with Suleiman was implicit in the appointment.
    But 'some elements' may be a good size majority. And they will at least want Their money back.
    And after ie, a September election someone is going to be under alot of pressure to do something.

    Even if Mubarak was to make a public speech saying he is stepping down 'for Egypt and doesn't want recrimination', there's going to be significant demands.. if not for the ultimate hanging.
    Last edited by mbig; 02-10-11 at 01:06 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  7. #17
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,598

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak to step down

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    In exchange for his recent position, and perhaps now step-down, Mubarak I'm sure wants some kind of amnesty from "Suleiman's govt".
    ie, he won't be arrested for crimes of murder, torture, suppression, corruption, theft, etc.

    Without such, 'stepping down' is suicide for Mubarak.

    But is there really any protection for what he's probably trying to broker. A national and International pardon for bowing out.
    Besides 'crimes against humanity' there's tens of Billions of dollars.
    That, or he cut an exile deal with a western country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak to step down

    I doubt Suleiman will be accepted by the protestors, given his history as with the secret police, torture and other aspects of his past

    A transitorial government led by the military untill elections (real ones) were held I think would be acceptable to the protestors, but not one led by Suleiman

    As for Mubarak, I expect he will step down from official duties to seek medical attention in a western country due to ill health. But retain the title of President until the elections are held
    Last edited by Lord Tammerlain; 02-10-11 at 01:14 PM.
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  9. #19
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak to step down

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That, or he cut an exile deal with a western country.
    Maybe.
    Perhaps the usual or London or Paris.
    Secondarily Switzerland or the USA, where most of 'his' invesments probably are.
    Someone is still going to make a case for all that money though.

    EDIT: but Mubarak has said he won't leave/will die in Egypt.
    Last edited by mbig; 02-10-11 at 01:18 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  10. #20
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,598

    Re: Egypt's Mubarak to step down

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    Maybe.
    Perhaps the usual or London or Paris.
    Secondarily Switzerland or the USA, where most of 'his' invesments probably are.
    Someone is still going to make a case for all that money though.

    EDIT: but Mubarak has said he won't leave/will die in Egypt.
    I agree and they'll probably get some of it, but there's no way they're going to be allowed to leave Mubarack penniless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •