Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 34 of 34

Thread: Toddlers' Junk-Food Diet May Lead to Lower IQ

  1. #31
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Toddlers' Junk-Food Diet May Lead to Lower IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    So - it's actually not an accurate or really 'important' test of knowledge, these days.
    As far as psychological tests go, intelligence tests are highly accurate. The article is only saying that the tests are not as precise at the upper and lower ends of the spectrum. In other words, it is more precise in distinguishing between students with IQs of 105 and 110 than 140 and 145.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Which leads me to wonder just WHY they focused on IQ and not "success in school" or "overall improvement in math or phonics" and stuff like that.
    IQ predicts success in school. It's the primary reason it was developed in the first place. The IQ test is standardized and captures aptitude. Grades are not standardized and comparisons between schools would be meaningless. There are standardized tests of math and phonics, but these measure ability or achievement and are therefore more amenable to change -- which would again muddy the data.

  2. #32
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Toddlers' Junk-Food Diet May Lead to Lower IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Not just protein - that's just one component of a balanced diet.
    Agreed, but I would advance that a lack of protein is the most likely explanation for a lack of development for a growing child.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  3. #33
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,647
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Toddlers' Junk-Food Diet May Lead to Lower IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Sometimes school lunches is the only meal a child will eat that day so yeah we love the childrens.
    Absolutely. I'm a staunch proponent of subsidized school lunches for economically disadvantaged children. We as a nation might be hurting economically, but damn. These are our children, our future, and I for one don't want to see them go hungry because we've got a damned war to fund.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Toddlers' Junk-Food Diet May Lead to Lower IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    as you acknowledged, it was not addressed. but let's look at you positing this conclusion - one which was NOT made:
    It's an implicit assumption being made by anyone who thinks this study indicates any sort of causal relationship between processed food and IQ. Once again, there are lots of alternative hypotheses to explain the correlation - that they did "NOT" address them is a weakness in the study.

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    but you introduced a conclusion of the study which you then attacked, when the study never offered such conclusion. a classic straw man - poorly constructed
    Uh... no. A "classic straw man" would be me stating that they made the claim, whereas I explicitly stated they did not - it's one of many things not considered.

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i look forward to seeing your mathematical proof which will show us why the measured IQ differential was unreliable and unmeaningful. that should be rich. please do not disappoint us and run away from offering your math
    Are you seriously trying to claim that there's a meaningful difference between a person with a measured IQ of 113 and a person with a measured IQ of 114.6?

    Seriously?

    i look forward to seeing your mathematical proof which will show us why the measured IQ differential was unreliable and unmeaningful.
    No need for mathematical proofs, the test provider calculates this information for you, and it's typically presented along with the results. While intelligence tests are quite good in terms of reliability - what you're talking about would require a near perfect test. At best (middle of the distribution), the Wechsler FSIQ composite has a standard error of measurement of around 2.5 or so. That means if you score an average 100...
    The 68% confidence interval is 97.5-102.5
    The 95% confidence interval is 95-105
    The 99% confidence interval is 92.5-107.5
    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    then disprove the study's results and conclusions.
    That's not the way it works.
    Last edited by Taylor; 02-09-11 at 04:15 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •