Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Toddlers' Junk-Food Diet May Lead to Lower IQ

  1. #21
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Toddlers' Junk-Food Diet May Lead to Lower IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Yes because they achieve less than they otherwise would have if they were desperate and hungry, but free!!! (or so the anti-welfare logic goes)
    What power does a child have to change their situation? Children can't actually change their lot in life. It's not their fault that Mom's a miserable drug addict or Dad's abusive and selfish or that both parents are ill - or whatever. The kids can only live the life they're in.

    I don't approve of giving money TO the parents - or supporting adults, period - but their kids? I don't condone forcing children to suffer more because of the gross negligence or ineptitude of the parents.

    So - feed a bunch of kids or buy some more stealth air-fighters?
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 02-08-11 at 05:19 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #22
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Toddlers' Junk-Food Diet May Lead to Lower IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    What power does a child have to change their situation? Children can't actually change their lot in life. It's not their fault that Mom's a miserable drug addict or Dad's abusive and selfish or that both parents are ill - or whatever. The kids can only live the life they're in.

    I don't approve of giving money TO the parents - or supporting adults, period - but their kids? I don't condone forcing children to suffer more because of the gross negligence or ineptitude of the parents.
    I completely agree. History has shown that giving money does not work while giving an opportunity for a leg up often does. That is still welfare, but it is another type. However, there is always going to be a faction that will never do anything for themselves, what we must do there is keep them from looting and revolting while helping those who will allow themselves to be helped and hope that some of the more hard headed ones will come to a point of maturity.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 02-08-11 at 05:21 PM.

  3. #23
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Toddlers' Junk-Food Diet May Lead to Lower IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I kind of wonder how much validity there is to this study. Are they just looking at what all these people had in common and are just trying to pin it on junk food? Is there some chemicals in the junk food known to cause stupidity?
    Protein. Junk food diets lack protein and protein is important for growing and developing normally.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  4. #24
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Toddlers' Junk-Food Diet May Lead to Lower IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Protein. Junk food diets lack protein and protein is important for growing and developing normally.
    Not just protein - that's just one component of a balanced diet.
    But on that note - some issues (like the autism spectrum of disorders) actually are related to a lack of protein-synthesis and processing. . . such as casein. Ergo: my older son's on a low-casein diet.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #25
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Toddlers' Junk-Food Diet May Lead to Lower IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i did not see where that analysis and comparison was conducted. would you please point out where that was addressed
    It wasn't addressed. That's the point. The methodology makes assumptions that aren't tested.

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    until you point it out in the study i have to insist that you made up such a comparison
    Yes, I came up with the comparison, they did not. There are many potential reasons why this correlation exists. They tested only a few, and therefore leave themselves open to criticism.

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    to me - and for our general population - i believe the loss of almost two IQ points would be a significant loss of cognitive ability. but we have different opinions. i have no difficulty understanding that an increase in processed food has deleterious effects. but then i was not fed much processed food as a youngster ... perhaps not losing those two IQ points was the difference which allows me to comprehend what was written
    "Almost two points" is too small to even be measured reliably, much less describe a meaningful difference in behavior. If you're worried about the "iq of the general population," there are a thousand better ways to spend tax dollars.

    i have no difficulty understanding that an increase in processed food has deleterious effects. but then i was not fed much processed food as a youngster ... perhaps not losing those two IQ points was the difference which allows me to comprehend what was written
    What you have difficulty understanding is that if the above is true, this particular study provides little or no evidence to support it. To understand this requires not only the ability to comprehend what was written, but to critically evaluate the conclusions drawn from work performed.

  6. #26
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Toddlers' Junk-Food Diet May Lead to Lower IQ

    This did make me curious as to how IQ is measured and just exactly what it means

    What is IQ and How it is Measured? - About Intelligence (UK)

    Most tests have both overall scores and individual subtest scores, showing an individual’s different performance in different areas. It is interesting to note, however, that because modern IQ tests are based on a normal distribution bell curve, they are really only designed and valid for a certain IQ range. In other words, they cannot accurately measure IQ’s at the extreme low and high ends. It should also be noted that your IQ score may not be consistent over the course of your lifetime.

    Like many other areas of the intelligence field, there is controversy over what affects an individual’s IQ score. For example, studies have shown that it does seem to be affected by environmental factors such as childhood nutrition, prenatal exposure to toxins and duration of breast-feeding. Other studies suggest a correlation with parental social status and parental IQ but debate still rages over how much IQ is inheritable and what the mechanisms of inheritance are.
    So - it's actually not an accurate or really 'important' test of knowledge, these days.

    Which leads me to wonder just WHY they focused on IQ and not "success in school" or "overall improvement in math or phonics" and stuff like that.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #27
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,229

    Re: Toddlers' Junk-Food Diet May Lead to Lower IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gein View Post
    It's people?

    Yes, Nanny State just loves her little chilruns, huh?

    Give me a break.
    You want a break, but would deny anyone else one. OK.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  8. #28
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,155

    Re: Toddlers' Junk-Food Diet May Lead to Lower IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    It wasn't addressed. That's the point. The methodology makes assumptions that aren't tested.
    as you acknowledged, it was not addressed. but let's look at you positing this conclusion - one which was NOT made:
    Should we assume that the parent who provides mcdonalds and tv dinners nonetheless reads to their child and fosters their intellectual development to the same degree as the parent who provides healthy meals?
    Yes, I came up with the comparison, they did not. There are many potential reasons why this correlation exists. They tested only a few, and therefore leave themselves open to criticism.
    but you introduced a conclusion of the study which you then attacked, when the study never offered such conclusion. a classic straw man - poorly constructed
    "Almost two points" is too small to even be measured reliably, much less describe a meaningful difference in behavior.
    i look forward to seeing your mathematical proof which will show us why the measured IQ differential was unreliable and unmeaningful. that should be rich. please do not disappoint us and run away from offering your math
    If you're worried about the "iq of the general population," there are a thousand better ways to spend tax dollars.
    a decline in the potential IQ by a sizable portion of our population does not strike me as something we would want to ignore
    while i am without the evidence to verify it, i do believe that the intelligence of the general population has been in decline over my almost six decades. no need to exacerbate that trend
    What you have difficulty understanding is that if the above is true, this particular study provides little or no evidence to support it. To understand this requires not only the ability to comprehend what was written, but to critically evaluate the conclusions drawn from work performed.
    good. then disprove the study's results and conclusions. thus far you have only offered up an opinion. a wrong one, weakly articulated
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  9. #29
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,660
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Toddlers' Junk-Food Diet May Lead to Lower IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    A huge reason not to have McDonald's inside school cafeterias, don't you think?

    Article is here.
    No school cafeteria should ever have a fast-food joint on site. Ever! I'm also against schools have soda vending machines, or candy machines. No school ever had them when I grew up, and I didn't starve.

    I'm not against fast-food places. I like some of them. But parents have to be vigilant that the occasional lunch at McD's or Wendy's is a special treat, not a weekly occurrence. Once they're teenagers, though, all bets are off. For the next 10 years, they will party like rock stars, eat everything that would kill a goat, and drink themselves into a stupor the minute they're out of their parents' sight. However, if healthy eating has been stressed during childhood, once they hit 20-something and begin to realize that they didn't really know everything as teenagers, even though they were certain at the time that they did, said young adults are much more likely to revert back to that healthy eating that they learned as kids.

    No studies to back this up other than a lifelong membership in the "mothers know this stuff" club. But I'm right anyway.

  10. #30
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Toddlers' Junk-Food Diet May Lead to Lower IQ

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gein View Post
    It's people?

    Yes, Nanny State just loves her little chilruns, huh?

    Give me a break.
    Sometimes school lunches is the only meal a child will eat that day so yeah we love the childrens.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •