Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 71

Thread: Cameron tells Muslim Britain: stop tolerating extremists

  1. #1
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Cameron tells Muslim Britain: stop tolerating extremists

    David Cameron will today signal a sea-change in the government fight against home-grown terrorism, saying the state must confront, and not consort with, the non-violent Muslim groups that are ambiguous about British values such as equality between sexes, democracy and integration.

    To belong in Britain is to believe in these values, he will say. Claiming the previous government had been the victim of fear and muddled thinking by backing a state-sponsored form of multiculturalism, the prime minister will state that his government "will no longer fund or share platforms with organisations that, while non-violent, are certainly in some cases part of the problem".
    He will warn his audience: "Europe needs to wake up to what is happening in our own countries. We need to be absolutely clear on where the origins of these terrorist attacks lie and that is the existence of an ideology, Islamist extremism."

    This ideology he says, is entirely separate from Islam, and "at the furthest end includes those who back terrorism to promote their ultimate goal: an entire Islamist realm, governed by an interpretation of sharia".
    David Cameron tells Muslim Britain: stop tolerating extremists | Politics | The Guardian

    Well done Cameron ... for once


  2. #2
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Cameron tells Muslim Britain: stop tolerating extremists

    I aprove of this speech.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  3. #3
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Cameron tells Muslim Britain: stop tolerating extremists

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    I aprove of this speech.
    So do I. It's just a good thing he did not post those comments in this forum, though.

    It's Tres gauche to suggest Islamist ideology is in any way responsible for Islamist's actions, and the making of such comments here would have surely opened him up to abuse at the hands of the dogmatic multiculturalists.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  4. #4
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Cameron tells Muslim Britain: stop tolerating extremists

    "...To belong in Britain is to believe in these values, he will say. Claiming the previous government had been the victim of fear and muddled thinking by backing a state-sponsored form of multiculturalism, the prime minister will state that his government "will no longer fund or share platforms with organisations that, while non-violent, are certainly in some cases part of the problem".
    and
    "We need a lot less of the passive tolerance of recent years and much more active, muscular liberalism."
    and
    Cameron's aides, aware the speech may prove highly controversial, refused to identify the organisations in his sights, but it is clear one target is the Muslim Council of Britain
    and
    "We have even tolerated these segregated communities behaving in ways that run counter to our values. So when a white person holds objectionable views – racism, for example – we rightly condemn them. But when equally unacceptable views or practices have come from someone who isn't white, we've been too cautious, frankly even fearful, to stand up to them."

    He will warn his audience: "Europe needs to wake up to what is happening in our own countries. We need to be absolutely clear on where the origins of these terrorist attacks lie – and that is the existence of an ideology, Islamist extremism."
    Yes Bravo!
    But rather odd the above two posters are [now] cheering it unless they they think he only means "terrorism".

    It's other posters in the Europe section, such as Myself, Gardener, Djoop, etc who've been the Bringing up much Wider "values" issue and being called "islamophobes" for it.

    ie,
    Poll: UK Muslims have ZERO tolerance of Homosexuality. 0-fer-500.
    ihttp://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...fer-500-a.html
    Read a few pages of the above if you want to see 'whos who' in this debate. Note the immediate attack/s.

    So he's talking a Large Minority-to-maybe-Majority of Muslims who hold many of these Illiberal views and Koranic literalism. Such as wanting Sharia, penalty for anti-islamic speech, etc.
    And of course talking about/objecting to multiculturalism and duplicity/hypocrisy by ostensible liberals.
    "NOT just Terrorism." MY Mantra.

    I have a hundred+ posts in the Europe section saying just that. Most heavily objected by many, including the two above.

    Perhaps it's OK when Lalia posts it/quotes it.
    But someone should now alert alexa, Red Dave, PeteEU, etc, etc, that two more have changed sides in the blink of an eyelash.
    Last edited by mbig; 02-05-11 at 11:23 AM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  5. #5
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Cameron tells Muslim Britain: stop tolerating extremists

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    So do I. It's just a good thing he did not post those comments in this forum, though.

    It's Tres gauche to suggest Islamist ideology is in any way responsible for Islamist's actions, and the making of such comments here would have surely opened him up to abuse at the hands of the dogmatic multiculturalists.
    Many on this forum who would think this. Would not add:
    This ideology he says, is entirely separate from Islam
    So ofc it wouldn't be as welcomed.
    Why do you think I congratulated him. He did not fall into the trap many do in this forum
    Last edited by Laila; 02-05-11 at 11:02 AM.


  6. #6
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Cameron tells Muslim Britain: stop tolerating extremists

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    Perhaps it's OK when Lalia posts it/quotes it.
    I'm special

    Nor do I have a hidden agenda
    Last edited by Laila; 02-05-11 at 11:12 AM.


  7. #7
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Cameron tells Muslim Britain: stop tolerating extremists

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Many on this forum who would think this. Would not add:

    So ofc it wouldn't be as welcomed.
    Why do you think I congratulated him. He did not fall into the trap many do in this forum
    Exactly. Cameron gets it. Some people on this forum never will.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  8. #8
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-01-17 @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Cameron tells Muslim Britain: stop tolerating extremists

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    and
    andand

    Yes Bravo!
    But rather odd the above two posters are [now] cheering it unless they they think he only means "terrorism".

    It's other posters in the Europe section, such as Myself, Gardener, Djoop, etc who've been the Bringing up much Wider "values" issue and being called "islamophobes" for it.

    ie,
    Poll: UK Muslims have ZERO tolerance of Homosexuality. 0-fer-500.
    ihttp://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...fer-500-a.html
    Read a few pages of the above if you want to see 'whos who' in this debate. Note the immediate attack/s.

    So he's talking a Large Minority-to-maybe-Majority of Muslims who hold many of these Illiberal views and Koranic literalism. Such as wanting Sharia, penalty for anti-islamic speech, etc.
    And of course talking about/objecting to multiculturalism and duplicity/hypocrisy by ostensible liberals.
    "NOT just Terrorism." MY Mantra.

    I have a hundred+ posts in the Europe section saying just that. Most heavily objected by many, including the two above.

    Perhaps it's OK when Lalia posts it/quotes it.
    But someone should now alert alexa, Red Dave, PeteEU, etc, etc, that two more have changed sides in the blink of an eyelash.
    What side am I supposed to be on here? Half the problem with these debates is that our 'sides' seem to get asigned for us, so debates tend to go like this

    "I see no evidence that extremist Islam is mainstream"
    "Why are you defending extreamist Islam"

    "X criticism of Israel"
    "Why do you support Hamas"

    Though what has the MCB done here? They always appeared very keen on peaceful integration/engagement with the rest of society to me. Is the problem that they made some reactionary comments on not detaining and torturing innocent people?
    Last edited by Red_Dave; 02-05-11 at 12:12 PM.

  9. #9
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Cameron tells Muslim Britain: stop tolerating extremists

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I'm special
    You're better looking than mbig.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  10. #10
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Cameron tells Muslim Britain: stop tolerating extremists

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Many on this forum who would think this. Would not add:

    So ofc it wouldn't be as welcomed.
    Why do you think I congratulated him. He did not fall into the trap many do in this forum
    and what trap is that?
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •