Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54

Thread: Sikh students can wear dagger in Plymouth-Canton schools, but with modifications

  1. #31
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,227

    Re: Sikh students can wear dagger in Plymouth-Canton schools, but with modifications

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    He is required by his religion to wear this at all times. It's short and dull and can't be removed from its sheath... (the blade, for those of you who aren't thinking with your big heads! ) I don't understand the problem here. We're supposed to respect the practice of religion in this country, so long as it doesn't break the law or infringe on the rights of others. This doesn't do either.
    Well, hell, I'm going to send my kids to school with a Knights Templar sword tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #32
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Sikh students can wear dagger in Plymouth-Canton schools, but with modifications

    I am thrilled to here that a school is finally using reasonable judgment when it comes to weapons. One can only hope they will realize that pocket knives and other tools are perfectly reasonable as well. I have no idea whether this was motivated by political correctness or not, but regardless of intent the outcome is still good.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Sikh students can wear dagger in Plymouth-Canton schools, but with modifications

    We had this in our schools in Britain a while ago and there are various options that headteachers take -

    • if a real blade is worn it is worn under several layers of clothing anyway and is short and dull (like the OP)
    • the kirpan can be small decorative part of the comb that Sikhs also have to carry as part of their 5 "K's"
    • the kirpan can be a decorative pendant


    Sikhs realise they aren't in mortal combat against islamic hordes in the 16th century anymore and a ceremonial dagger symbol satisfies their religious requirement just as simply as a real kirpan would. Sikhs are damn good people and I have a huge amount of respect for them.

  4. #34
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Sikh students can wear dagger in Plymouth-Canton schools, but with modifications

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Well, hell, I'm going to send my kids to school with a Knights Templar sword tomorrow.
    -laughs- just make sure it's dull ..

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Sikh students can wear dagger in Plymouth-Canton schools, but with modifications

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    Hey Gang,

    Sikhs are not at all the problem in this country. If I could I would pick up all the Sikhs in India and bring them to America. It would be a major infusion of healthy blood into a very sick body politic.
    I have no problem with Sikhs. As Zyph noted, we do hear a lot of stories about some school district giving a student hell for wearing a crucifix, studying the Bible at lunch, praying out loud, etc... then this appears as a contrast.

    I have no problem with the decision, it sounds reasonable... it just seems that our school system is much more willing to bend over backward to accomodate foreign religions than our own most-popular ones.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #36
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,939

    Re: Sikh students can wear dagger in Plymouth-Canton schools, but with modifications

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I have no problem with Sikhs. As Zyph noted, we do hear a lot of stories about some school district giving a student hell for wearing a crucifix, studying the Bible at lunch, praying out loud, etc... then this appears as a contrast.

    I have no problem with the decision, it sounds reasonable... it just seems that our school system is much more willing to bend over backward to accomodate foreign religions than our own most-popular ones.
    I imagine part of it is that the religion REQUIRES followers to arry this. It's expected of them as a religious edict. It's not the equivalent to a sin to not wear a cross or carry a bible around.

    to put it in a christian perspective, imagine if a government entity forced you to covet your neighbors wife, steal, or some other great sin. Disallowing a shik from arrying the kirpon is forcing them to violate an important edict of their religion. In this case for an entirely unreasonable purpose when the blade is 2" long (far less than a "templar sword"), dull, and always in a sheath

  7. #37
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Sikh students can wear dagger in Plymouth-Canton schools, but with modifications

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I imagine part of it is that the religion REQUIRES followers to arry this. It's expected of them as a religious edict. It's not the equivalent to a sin to not wear a cross or carry a bible around.

    to put it in a christian perspective, imagine if a government entity forced you to covet your neighbors wife, steal, or some other great sin. Disallowing a shik from arrying the kirpon is forcing them to violate an important edict of their religion. In this case for an entirely unreasonable purpose when the blade is 2" long (far less than a "templar sword"), dull, and always in a sheath
    I think that one point Goshin may have is prayers in public schools. Christians often wish to pray before school - which many liberals are against because of separation of church and state and the use of government property to provide a place for prayer - while Muslims are required to pray five times a day towards Mecca, and thus may need their own accomodations to do so since it is likely they will have to pray during school hours.

    Does anyone know the ruling for public schools concerning this?
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Sikh students can wear dagger in Plymouth-Canton schools, but with modifications

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I think that one point Goshin may have is prayers in public schools. Christians often wish to pray before school - which many liberals are against because of separation of church and state and the use of government property to provide a place for prayer - while Muslims are required to pray five times a day towards Mecca, and thus may need their own accomodations to do so since it is likely they will have to pray during school hours.

    Does anyone know the ruling for public schools concerning this?
    I won't speak for other liberals but my problem has not been praying being allowed in schools but rather a teacher led prayer where all the kids in class are required to hear it. Kids are allowed to pray in all the schools in my area. They just dont have teacher led prayer.

    Also I have no problem with schools accommodating a room for prayer so long as all religions can use it and not just one or two.

  9. #39
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,255

    Re: Sikh students can wear dagger in Plymouth-Canton schools, but with modifications

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Yes, and rather than people using it as a means of staying "and its ridiculous that they ban 2" pocket knives in some schools" we instead have people going "OMG! They lettin a non-Christian do something. PC! PC! PC!"
    Until they have a uniform policy, they should complain. The whole business is ridiculous, but hey if they're not consistent, complaints should be filed.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #40
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Sikh students can wear dagger in Plymouth-Canton schools, but with modifications

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Until they have a uniform policy, they should complain. The whole business is ridiculous, but hey if they're not consistent, complaints should be filed.
    And YMMV but the problem may be exacerbated in that such issues are likely to be determined by individual school districts, which is one reason why there are no consistent guidelines.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •