Page 34 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 1250

Thread: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

  1. #331
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: Obamacare Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Seems you have a problem understanding the role of the Federal govt. and the role of the state govt. Suggest a civics and history lesson
    You can't be this dense. Liberals and conservatives have different views on the role of gov't. You see things one way, I see them another way. I am not wrong just because I don't see things your way. Political ideology and theories on the role of gov't are not facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The Court ruled the bill unconstitutional so until either a stay or ruling is made the mandate no longer is legal. Violating the court will lead to contempt of court and is a violation of the law.
    Wrong.

    While appeals are pending, nothing stops the U.S. from enforcing the health-care legislation outside of those districts where part or all of it has been invalidated, Presser said.

    White House to Pursue Health-Care Appeal After Florida Ruling - Bloomberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Your argument is opinion countered with fact. I gave you the link to the Census site that will show you the facts that you ignore about the 50 million uninsured. A little research will show what MA has done with Universal Healthcare and what Europe is doing now with Govt. healthcare. the question is why the continued defense in the face of actual results?
    I can say the same about you. All you have done is give me your opinion. You have not given me facts. Again: political ideology is not fact. Get it? I doubt it.


  2. #332
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Meowenstein View Post
    Seriously?
    Ya. Seriously.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Meowenstein View Post
    I posted multiple quotes - some from REPUBLICANS - backing up the FACT that the individual mandate was originally a Republican idea.
    You apparently do not quite understand the concept of "evidence". You writing someting and attributing it to someone is not evidence... and I'm sorry but, you're way to new to this board for me to take you word on anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Meowenstein View Post
    How can you continue to claim otherwise when you've been shown over and over and over that you are flat out WRONG. Jesus Christ, I've seen Tyrannosaurus Rexs with thinner skulls.
    Show me the source pal, or zip-it with the "it was a Republican idea" nonsense.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #333
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Meowenstein View Post
    And all of that doesn't change the fact that the mandate was a Republican idea...yaaawn...
    According to some newbie named Sgt Meowenstein on the internet...

    Ok. I'm bored already.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #334
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,299

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    What are you trying to prove with this? Their minds aren't going to be changed. Republicans play the politics game so goddam well.
    The healthcare bill isn't anything on the scale of Medicare part D. This bill was all essentially a Republican idea to begin with. The difference is, they got to demonize the democrats for passing it.
    You can say thats them being assholes, but isn't that what politics in the end is? Knowing precisely how much of an asshole to be and not more.
    Slightly liberal, my ass, you are a full liberal in that you have selective memory on Medicare Part D as Democrats wanted a much bigger program than was enacted. Democrats didn't pass it, Repubicans did and it actually has cut costs. Medicare Part D put competition back into the program as well as incentive for people to shop and spend less. That has nothing to do with the public option mandate. We are still waiting for the legislation that the GOP authored that had the public option in it?

  5. #335
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Ya. Seriously.

    You apparently do not quite understand the concept of "evidence". You writing someting and attributing it to someone is not evidence...
    Even documented evidence is questionable in many cases...

    If you really want evidence, not just gotcha exchanges, both sides need to be attuned to the same subject and willing to accept the source of proof...

    ricksfolly

  6. #336
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Obamacare Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    Why argue the count?
    the article you question specifically CONTRADICTS court counting

    read it again

    Obamacare supporters will say the judicial score is tied: Two federal courts have upheld Obamacare, and two have declared part of it unconstitutional. But two against two among federal district courts is not a tie.

    District judges, whether state or federal, are risk-averse when interpreting the law. District judges preside over trial courts. They normally apply established law to the facts before them. Deciding questions of law is primarily the work of appellate courts.

    Federal district judges, in particular, do not like being reversed by appellate judges. Frequent reversals are not good for one's ego or the reputation. Federal district judges naturally know, without consulting statistics, that very few federal statutes are declared unconstitutional.

    So given the probabilities, it's much safer and easier for a lone federal district judge to declare federal statutes constitutional. Just leave it to the panel of three appellate judges to consider more carefully whether a statute is unconstitutional. That's what appellate judges are paid to do.

    Because of this, the two decisions against Obamacare are much more significant than the two that upheld the legislation.
    link already pasted

  7. #337
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Meowenstein View Post
    And all of that doesn't change the fact that the mandate was a Republican idea
    regardless of whose idea it WAS, it is quite clear TODAY exactly whose platform it IS

    live it, libs, love it, it's all YOURS

    by senate RECONCILIATION, no less

  8. #338
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Slightly liberal, my ass, you are a full liberal in that you have selective memory on Medicare Part D as Democrats wanted a much bigger program than was enacted. Democrats didn't pass it, Repubicans did and it actually has cut costs. Medicare Part D put competition back into the program as well as incentive for people to shop and spend less. That has nothing to do with the public option mandate. We are still waiting for the legislation that the GOP authored that had the public option in it?
    1) I never mentioned the public option. I said this bill. The one that passed. It has essentially nothing in it that the republicans didn't support (at least the big ideas).

    2) I would cut the government to tiny size. Including completely eliminating Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and cutting the military to less than 20% of what it is today. Full liberal, my ass. I only put that I'm slightly liberal because I'd rather vote for someone who is completely socially and fiscally liberal than someone someone who is conservative on both ends. ie. Social matters are more important to me. I'd rather have a few of my friends being able to get married than keeping that 4% increase in my paycheck. Do you understand my views now? I already told you this before - don't judge me when you don't know what I stand for.

  9. #339
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: Obamacare Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    the article you question specifically CONTRADICTS court counting

    read it again



    link already pasted
    Thanks for snipping my response. I said why argue the count or how much it weighs because in the end, they don't matter anyway.

  10. #340
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    Even documented evidence is questionable in many cases...

    If you really want evidence, not just gotcha exchanges, both sides need to be attuned to the same subject and willing to accept the source of proof...

    ricksfolly
    I'm totally willing to accept that it was initially a Republican idea... I just want to see someone other Meowmix over here show me a source. I'm not asking for a dissertation or thesis with footnotes -- I mean, if it's that hard to man up and produce it, the obvious answer is the whole claim is bull****.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 34 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •