Page 27 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 1250

Thread: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

  1. #261
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Obamacare Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Meowenstein View Post
    Yes, it will be appealed. Obama would be stupid not to appeal it. Obama is very smart politically. And he surrounds himself with other smart people who know the law and the Constitution just as much, or more, as he does. The SCOTUS will uphold the law.
    Well, I was referring to his political prowes, actually. If he were "smart", he'd accept defeat, and win off of it. He could be the bigger man, when the country is looking for "BIG PEOPLE" (We used to call them leaders) to stand up, and look for consensus. He could easily back away from this, and use it as a spring board to compromise. He may end up having to compromise anyway, but it makes better political sense to lead the way, rather than be clearly forced.

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  2. #262
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: Obamacare Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Well, I was referring to his political prowes, actually. If he were "smart", he'd accept defeat, and win off of it. He could be the bigger man, when the country is looking for "BIG PEOPLE" (We used to call them leaders) to stand up, and look for consensus. He could easily back away from this, and use it as a spring board to compromise. He may end up having to compromise anyway, but it makes better political sense to lead the way, rather than be clearly forced.

    Tim-
    In a sense, I agree with you. From my leftist viewpoint, he could use this as an opportunity to seek a public option - which was/is supported by a majority of Americans. But I still believe that it's wiser to appeal and let the Supreme Court decide. I'm no expert on these matters, but I seriously doubt that the Supreme Court will strike down the whole law. If anything, they'll rule against the mandate. If the mandate is struck down, then Obama can pursue other, perhaps better, options.
    Last edited by Sgt Meowenstein; 02-02-11 at 02:28 AM.


  3. #263
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Obamacare Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Centrist View Post
    Yes, those children with preexisting conditions and cancer patients who've been dropped from their health care will be thrilled.
    Lol like they were going to be treated by ObamaCare

  4. #264
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Obamacare Unconstitutional

    get real

    Democratic senator: Public health insurance option dead – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

    there were SIXTY dem senators in august, 2009

    obama's sotu, january, 2011: let's not refight the fights of the last 2 years

    even the obtuse knows a loser when it's so frontally in his face
    Last edited by The Prof; 02-02-11 at 06:38 AM.

  5. #265
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    09-03-17 @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    314

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Yeah...you stick with the Great Republican idea to require everyone to buy insurance.....That's the dumbest part of the whole program.
    Try this link about whose idea it was, Republicans Spurn Once-Favored Health Mandate : NPR

    A commitee hardly constitutes The Great Republican Idea,

    Pauly, a conservative health economist at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School, says it wasn't just his idea. Back in the late 1980s — when Democrats were pushing not just a requirement for employers to provide insurance, but also the possibility of a government-sponsored single-payer system — "a group of economists and health policy people, market-oriented, sat down and said, 'Let's see if we can come up with a health reform proposal that would preserve a role for markets but would also achieve universal coverage.' "


    In case you were wondering where your talking point came from.

  6. #266
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Yeah...you stick with the Great Republican idea to require everyone to buy insurance.....That's the dumbest part of the whole program.
    Yeah see, I think I and others have questioned your claim that the mandate was a "Republican idea", but you're not coming back to back that up. So I'm going to chalk that up to a bald faced steaming pile of bupkus.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #267
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: Obamacare Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Centrist [quote
    Yes, those children with preexisting conditions and cancer patients who've been dropped from their health care will be thrilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Lol like they were going to be treated by ObamaCare
    You don't understand what the so-called Obamacare is, do you? It does exactly what Johnny Centrist said, and a lot more. So, now that you know that the new HC law will cover those people, do you think they'd be happy if they had that coverage taken away from them?


  8. #268
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: Obamacare Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    get real

    Democratic senator: Public health insurance option dead – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

    there were SIXTY dem senators in august, 2009

    obama's sotu, january, 2011: let's not refight the fights of the last 2 years

    even the obtuse knows a loser when it's so frontally in his face
    I don't agree that the public option is dead. I don't care who says it is. But I do agree that we shouldn't rehash the fights of the last two years. The problem is Republicans disagree with you. They said they'd focus on jobs, but so far, they have only focused on repealing HC reform. I say leave it in place and let's improve upon it. But if Republicans want to continue the fight, I expect Democrats to defend this legislation with their political careers. And if they have a window for it, put the public option back in. It's still supported by a majority of Americans.


  9. #269
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,293

    Re: Obamacare Unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Meowenstein View Post
    I don't agree that the public option is dead. I don't care who says it is. But I do agree that we shouldn't rehash the fights of the last two years. The problem is Republicans disagree with you. They said they'd focus on jobs, but so far, they have only focused on repealing HC reform. I say leave it in place and let's improve upon it. But if Republicans want to continue the fight, I expect Democrats to defend this legislation with their political careers. And if they have a window for it, put the public option back in. It's still supported by a majority of Americans.
    HC mandates affect what business pays for their employees thus affects jobs.

    Why the passion for a public option? Where in the world has that lowered healthcare costs?

  10. #270
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Obamacare Unconstitutional

    [QUOTE=Sgt Meowenstein;1059259752][quote=Johnny Centrist



    You don't understand what the so-called Obamacare is, do you? It does exactly what Johnny Centrist said, and a lot more. So, now that you know that the new HC law will cover those people, do you think they'd be happy if they had that coverage taken away from them?[/QUOTE]

    You don't understand the argument is do you. The argument is not about helping those in need. It's about Congress over stepping there power as defined in the Constitution ( You know that document that is the Supreme Law of the Land).

Page 27 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •