Page 25 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 1250

Thread: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

  1. #241
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Funny that it is the Republican idea that forces people to buy insurance is the biggest problem with the law. We should have gone the public option route...or better yet, single payer, rather than try to adopt these poor GOP ideas to gain their support. THAT was the biggest flaw with the healthcare law and the reason why many on the left are not happy with the law as well.
    There is one thing wrong with your post, the public option and the single payer route was lost because enough support could not be found among democrat to pass the bill with either of them in it.

    As for the Republican idea of forcing people to buy insurance, this could be viewed in two ways, one it was just a bad idea, or two, Republicans knew that in one form or another this monstrosity of a bill was going to get passed, and if there was a part of it that could be constitutionally challenged … well … it could well lead to the demise of most or all of the bill ….. . naaa couldn't be that … cause everyone knows those Republicans aren't smart enough to pull something like that.

  2. #242
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Is that why Breyer and Souter voted with the majority in 2000 ??
    Overextending it to a wide degree. They did not vote with the majority on the main issue.
    All souter and breyer said was that letting 4 counties recount and not the others was a violation of the equal protection clause.
    "Justices Breyer and Souter wanted to remand the case to the Florida Supreme Court to permit that court to establish uniform standards of what constituted a legal vote and then manually recount all ballots using those standards."
    They didn't say a recount was unconstitutional. They said if you're going to recount it, do it for all counties.

  3. #243
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    So, if people don't have to buy health care, but insurance companies can't deny coverage, how's that going to work?

    And if young adults show up to the ER with type 2 diabetes, do we just put them on hospice care?

    From now on, Medicare and Medicaid only covers hospice.
    It seems to me, you pro "reformers" are arguing that it's simply ok to enforce a law that is unconstitutional in order to accomplish what you think needs to be accomplished. Whether the mandate is the lynch pin that makes Obamacare work or not is irrelevant, the constitutionality of the mandate is all that really matters.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  4. #244
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    There is one thing wrong with your post, the public option and the single payer route was lost because enough support could not be found among democrat to pass the bill with either of them in it.

    As for the Republican idea of forcing people to buy insurance, this could be viewed in two ways, one it was just a bad idea, or two, Republicans knew that in one form or another this monstrosity of a bill was going to get passed, and if there was a part of it that could be constitutionally challenged … well … it could well lead to the demise of most or all of the bill ….. . naaa couldn't be that … cause everyone knows those Republicans aren't smart enough to pull something like that.
    Republicans play the politics game much better than democrats, partly because its not in their best interest to compromise, while it is for democrats.
    They don't, however, play it THAT well. Your second assertation is very, very doubtful and hardly provable.

    What I find ironic is that when the republicans won the house this fall, they pass a repeal of the health care bill because they have "the will of the american people" behind them. However, when the democratic house passed a public option, no, that wasn't with the will of the american people who voted them in. Yet again, another example of how Republicans play the game better.

    Our country would look a whole lot different if we didn't have a branch of congress the founders established for the very precise purpose of not allowing anything to get done.

  5. #245
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    Republicans play the politics game much better than democrats, partly because its not in their best interest to compromise, while it is for democrats.
    They don't, however, play it THAT well. Your second assertation is very, very doubtful and hardly provable.

    What I find ironic is that when the republicans won the house this fall, they pass a repeal of the health care bill because they have "the will of the american people" behind them. However, when the democratic house passed a public option, no, that wasn't with the will of the american people who voted them in. Yet again, another example of how Republicans play the game better.

    Our country would look a whole lot different if we didn't have a branch of congress the founders established for the very precise purpose of not allowing anything to get done.
    If we had a govt. that the founders established it wouldn't be the 3.8 trillion dollar massive bureaucracy we have now.

    Name for me one country in the world where the single payer system has reduced costs, improved quality and access? Is the single payer system working in MA?

  6. #246
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    Republicans play the politics game much better than democrats, partly because its not in their best interest to compromise, while it is for democrats.
    They don't, however, play it THAT well. Your second assertation is very, very doubtful and hardly provable.

    What I find ironic is that when the republicans won the house this fall, they pass a repeal of the health care bill because they have "the will of the american people" behind them. However, when the democratic house passed a public option, no, that wasn't with the will of the american people who voted them in. Yet again, another example of how Republicans play the game better.

    Our country would look a whole lot different if we didn't have a branch of congress the founders established for the very precise purpose of not allowing anything to get done.
    -chuckles- oh I know it's can't be proven.... but you will have to admit that yes they did indeed have that part put in, and as soon as the bill was passed, it was the first thing they zeroed in on. Now everything else aside, it would have been a brilliant move on their part if that was their thinking all along .

    As to where our country would be and what it would look like with out that branch … that now allows nothing to be done, that is a scary thought. It seem that only in our recent history, have the sides moved so far to the left and right, there use to be much more compromise within each party.

    I'm one that happens to believe that the worst government we have is when the same party controls all three branches of the government, the checks and balances are gone, either party just pushes their own agenda and no move to the center is required. I still feel that the majority of people are still either just left or right of center in this country.

    I honestly have no idea why the divide seems to be growing wider, I understand some of it, with difficult times people tend to want less compromise, feeling their ideas are what is needed to fix things, but this has been going on through even some pretty good times .. Perhaps to much single party rule ? I'm just not real sure what the cause is.

  7. #247
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    Overextending it to a wide degree. They did not vote with the majority on the main issue.
    All souter and breyer said was that letting 4 counties recount and not the others was a violation of the equal protection clause.
    "Justices Breyer and Souter wanted to remand the case to the Florida Supreme Court to permit that court to establish uniform standards of what constituted a legal vote and then manually recount all ballots using those standards."
    They didn't say a recount was unconstitutional. They said if you're going to recount it, do it for all counties.
    Which is exactly what I posted.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  8. #248
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    If we had a govt. that the founders established it wouldn't be the 3.8 trillion dollar massive bureaucracy we have now.

    Name for me one country in the world where the single payer system has reduced costs, improved quality and access? Is the single payer system working in MA?
    I don't know if that was directed towards me or everyone, but I didn't advocate for one.

  9. #249
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    don't know much about the Constitution, I see, amazing how you seem to support it when it supports your point of view but not when it is interpreted differently. Let me know where you want me to send the check to fund your healthcare premiums.
    The whole idea of the HCRA was to get some kind of bill passed and they could make changes later. So this legal thing the Reps are trying to push through is just political window dressing for the ones on the fence.

    ricksfolly

  10. #250
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Obama Health-Care Reform Act Ruled Unconstitutional(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    The whole idea of the HCRA was to get some kind of bill passed and they could make changes later. So this legal thing the Reps are trying to push through is just political window dressing for the ones on the fence.

    ricksfolly
    That is pure spin, the whole purpose of getting the act passed was to implement the Obama leftwing agenda and to take the first step towards destroying the healthcare industry and implement a European style model here. Amazing that Europe is going the other way now and you refuse to even look at what is happening in MA. I wonder what it is about liberalism that makes grown thinking individuals brainwashed?

Page 25 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •