Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Emanuel on Chicago mayoral ballot

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Emanuel on Chicago mayoral ballot

    The ballot roller coaster for Rahm Emanuel finally stopped Thursday with the former White House chief of staff very much in the race for mayor and the Illinois Supreme Court emphatically rejecting a contentious challenge to his Chicago residency.

    Within minutes of the high court ruling, Emanuel was back shaking hands with voters, taking a congratulatory call from his old boss, President Barack Obama, and working to recapture an aura of invincibility he had worked hard to project until an Appellate Court ruling threatened to boot him from the Feb. 22 contest.
    Any speculation on this, folks?

    Article is here.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Emanuel on Chicago mayoral ballot

    Are we shocked? Of course not.

    The mob pretty much has its way in Chicago.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Emanuel on Chicago mayoral ballot

    He obviously wasn't a resident but the legal meaning of words are often different than the dictionary definition, still many on the right will see a conspiracy in this or jump to a conclusion without proof.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Emanuel on Chicago mayoral ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    He obviously wasn't a resident but the legal meaning of words are often different than the dictionary definition, still many on the right will see a conspiracy in this or jump to a conclusion without proof.
    You mean, like Blagoyovich, and Obama's senate seat?

    Or perhaps, the years of mob-like rule from the Daley clan?

    Chicago is, and has always been, the most corrrupt cesspool of politics in the U.S.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Emanuel on Chicago mayoral ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    He obviously wasn't a resident but the legal meaning of words are often different than the dictionary definition, still many on the right will see a conspiracy in this or jump to a conclusion without proof.
    There has been a legal definition for a long time. Chicago has a residency requirement for city of chicago emplyoees (police, fire fighters, teachers, etc) that requires them to reside in the city. Many have been fired in the past 50 years because they were found to be breaking that requirement by living in the burbs. This, even though many, have maintained property and paid taxes in Chicago.

    I think this decision opened up a big can of worms (as indicated by the 2 concurring judges) and the city will see multiple lawsuits by the unions, based on this decision, to get ex employees reinstated.

    No one knows yet, but I believe the chances are good that the challenge to Rahm's residency was funded by the unions specifically to give them a way to fight the firings of their members for living outside of hte city.

  6. #6
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Emanuel on Chicago mayoral ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    You mean, like Blagoyovich, and Obama's senate seat?

    Or perhaps, the years of mob-like rule from the Daley clan?

    Chicago is, and has always been, the most corrrupt cesspool of politics in the U.S.
    I note that Illinois is far from the most corrupt state of the union. If Il. is a corrupt cesspool, then what would you call Florida, DC and Rhode Island?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/14/we...w/14marsh.html
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Emanuel on Chicago mayoral ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    You mean, like Blagoyovich, and Obama's senate seat?

    Or perhaps, the years of mob-like rule from the Daley clan?

    Chicago is, and has always been, the most corrrupt cesspool of politics in the U.S.
    Chicago is a corrupt place, but I still like to see evidence of it other than a ruling I disagree with.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Re: Emanuel on Chicago mayoral ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Chicago is a corrupt place, but I still like to see evidence of it other than a ruling I disagree with.
    If he loses, you can count the dead bodies.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Emanuel on Chicago mayoral ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    If he loses, you can count the dead bodies.
    I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean.

  10. #10
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Emanuel on Chicago mayoral ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    You mean, like Blagoyovich, and Obama's senate seat?

    Or perhaps, the years of mob-like rule from the Daley clan?

    Chicago is, and has always been, the most corrrupt cesspool of politics in the U.S.
    D.C. is the most. Chicago is a close second.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •