Page 71 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 710 of 1104

Thread: White House to Push Gun Control

  1. #701
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck schmidt View Post
    I'm a shooter, hunter and reloader who sees America's handgun fetish as a cruel fascination with a phallic symbol that unjustifiably kills thousands of its children annually.
    yeah sure. so tell me what advantage does bullseye have over 231. and why would you use 231 instead of bullseye

    and (yeah I suppose you can google this) what was the standard IPSC loading for a #68 H&G cast bullet to make "major" with 231



  2. #702
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    yeah sure. so tell me what advantage does bullseye have over 231. and why would you use 231 instead of bullseye

    and (yeah I suppose you can google this) what was the standard IPSC loading for a #68 H&G cast bullet to make "major" with 231
    I guess google "reloading 45 ACP" is getting a work out

    I can smell nonsense on this subject a mile away



  3. #703
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Who says I want anything? I think the present guns are fine. Until someone suggests something I think is better, I'm OK where we are, and have said so all along. However, if I had claim a desire, it would be that those who own and use guns be well schooled and use the tool properly and prudently. Don't know what law to pass for that though.

    then the crux of your argument should be the sorry state of Mental health these days, NOT gun ownership. It is dishonest to round about claim that if we just got rid of guns then suicides would cease.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #704
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't think I said that. But I did see someone once make the same causal relationship error when he noted crime went down after the Brady bill. Crime is more complicated than gun laws alone. And I'm not sure the data tells us anything at all. The fact is a regulation has be judged on it's merit, the logic behind it. This is the same with all regulations. There is nothing different as it relates to gun regulations. And when we measure effectieness, we have to define the purpose accurately, and actually show a causal relationship.
    Okay let just take a step back for a moment, lets say we just put a stop to any gun regulation what-so-ever, any john doe could walk in off the street and purchase a gun, and over the next 5 years violent crime was to increase .

    Now would “you” still be making that very same argument, that there would be no need to look at the gun laws until after “we measure effectieness, we have to define the purpose accurately, and actually show a causal relationship. “

    -shrugs shoulders- you know, somehow, I'm betting your argument would be much different.
    Last edited by The Barbarian; 02-10-11 at 10:03 AM.

  5. #705
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Okay let just take a step back for a moment, lets say we just put a stop to any gun regulation what-so-ever, any john doe could walk in off the street and purchase a gun, and over the next 5 years violent crime was to increase .

    Now would “you” still be making that very same argument, that there would be no need to look at the gun laws until after “we measure effectieness, we have to define the purpose accurately, and actually show a causal relationship. “

    -shrugs shoulders- you know, somehow, I'm betting your argument would be much different.
    You would still have to show it was the only, or the more significant factor. Just because something comes first doesn't mean it is the cause. This is true no matter who tries to skirt it, liberal or conservative. And if you are paying attention, I even used how some tried to make the fallious argument concerning the Brady Bill. The fallacy is a fallacy no matter who uses it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #706
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    then the crux of your argument should be the sorry state of Mental health these days, NOT gun ownership. It is dishonest to round about claim that if we just got rid of guns then suicides would cease.


    j-mac
    There is certainly an issue there, and lack of adequate health care is part of that issue. However, that's another thread.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #707
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    your evasive little game has been seen by many

    I have been involved in this issue both as an interested amateur and a well known professional for 35 years. I know all the arguments, facades, evasions and excuses


    I need more coffee.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #708
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not a gun hater. I've actually been know to hunt with one. But, hey, don't let a good false sterotype slow you down.
    Having a gun or using one does not make you a 2nd amendment proponent nor does it make you a gun lover.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #709
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,260

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not a gun hater. I've actually been know to hunt with one. But, hey, don't let a good false sterotype slow you down.


    Really? Please tell me what have you hunted, and with what.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #710
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You would still have to show it was the only, or the more significant factor. Just because something comes first doesn't mean it is the cause. This is true no matter who tries to skirt it, liberal or conservative. And if you are paying attention, I even used how some tried to make the fallious argument concerning the Brady Bill. The fallacy is a fallacy no matter who uses it.
    okay .. thank you..... -chuckles- as I've said I'm new here, and still feeling My way around ... as to who I can have an honest discussion with, and who I should just ignore.

Page 71 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •