Page 63 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 630 of 1104

Thread: White House to Push Gun Control

  1. #621
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaserac View Post
    I did not know the first thing about the source and neither like or dislike them. It was the hilarity in the basic hypocrisy of your so called argument that drew my attention. And no I don't expect you to acknowledge or admit it. I bet money nobody here regardless of their political leaning does either! If there really were other sources citing similar statistics you would have supplied them. You did not do that. And then just a few posts after making an excuse for using a source with credibility issues you try to take issues with other members sources. It's clumsy dishonest and above all else it is funny.
    I did earlier and have no problem doing so again.

    The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides,[5] with firearms used in 16,907 suicides in the United States during 2004.

    (snip)

    Some research shows an association between household firearm ownership and gun suicide rates,[7][9] while other research indicates no such association between firearm ownership and gun suicide rates.[10] During the 1980s and early 1990s, there was a strong upward trend in adolescent suicides with a gun,[11] as well as a sharp overall increase in a suicides among those age 75 and over.[12] In the United States, firearms remain the most common method of suicide, accounting for 50.7% of all suicides committed during 2006.[13]

    Gun violence in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    37-39. Overestimates of self-defense gun use
    We use epidemiological theory to explain why the "false positive" problem for rare events can lead to large overestimates of the incidence of rare diseases or rare phenomena such as self-defense gun use. We then try to validate the claims of many millions of annual self-defense uses against available evidence.
    Major findings: The claim of many millions of annual self-defense gun uses by American citizens appears to be invalid.

    Gun Threats and Self-Defense Gun Use - Firearms Research - Harvard Injury Control Research Center - Harvard School of Public Health

    American children are more at risk from firearms than the children of any other industrialized nation. In one year, firearms killed no children in Japan, 19 in Great Britain, 57 in Germany, 109 in France, 153 in Canada, and 5,285 in the United States. (Centers for Disease Control)

    About Page



    Any search will bring them up, however, you liek others miss the point:

    Law enforcement agencies do not collect information on the number of times civilians use firearms to defend themselves or their property against attack. Such data have been collected in household surveys. The contradictory nature of the available statistics may be partially explained by methodological factors. That is, these and other criminal justice statistics reflect what is reported to have occurred, not necessarily the actual number of times certain events occur.

    http://freegovreports.com/index.php/...n-self-defense

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #622
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides
    so?

    EVEN YOU don't want to ban em

    i mean, according to YOU

    LOL!

    are you sure you have a point anymore?

    i mean, now that we've established that guns aren't MAGIC

    LOL!

  3. #623
    User Zaserac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Angola, South Africa.
    Last Seen
    03-27-11 @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    107

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I did earlier and have no problem doing so again.

    The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides,[5] with firearms used in 16,907 suicides in the United States during 2004.

    (snip)

    Some research shows an association between household firearm ownership and gun suicide rates,[7][9] while other research indicates no such association between firearm ownership and gun suicide rates.[10] During the 1980s and early 1990s, there was a strong upward trend in adolescent suicides with a gun,[11] as well as a sharp overall increase in a suicides among those age 75 and over.[12] In the United States, firearms remain the most common method of suicide, accounting for 50.7% of all suicides committed during 2006.[13]

    Gun violence in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    37-39. Overestimates of self-defense gun use
    We use epidemiological theory to explain why the "false positive" problem for rare events can lead to large overestimates of the incidence of rare diseases or rare phenomena such as self-defense gun use. We then try to validate the claims of many millions of annual self-defense uses against available evidence.
    Major findings: The claim of many millions of annual self-defense gun uses by American citizens appears to be invalid.

    Gun Threats and Self-Defense Gun Use - Firearms Research - Harvard Injury Control Research Center - Harvard School of Public Health

    American children are more at risk from firearms than the children of any other industrialized nation. In one year, firearms killed no children in Japan, 19 in Great Britain, 57 in Germany, 109 in France, 153 in Canada, and 5,285 in the United States. (Centers for Disease Control)

    About Page



    Any search will bring them up, however, you liek others miss the point:

    Law enforcement agencies do not collect information on the number of times civilians use firearms to defend themselves or their property against attack. Such data have been collected in household surveys. The contradictory nature of the available statistics may be partially explained by methodological factors. That is, these and other criminal justice statistics reflect what is reported to have occurred, not necessarily the actual number of times certain events occur.

    How Often Are Firearms Used in Self-Defense?
    If those stats were the stats you brought up with the VPC link, you might have been able to interest me in your argument. Keeping it clumsy and dishonest is not so funny anymore though......

  4. #624
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    really shouldn't try to speak for others. I don't want or believe that guns will ever be banned.
    yeah but you want major restrictions that hassle harass and infringe on our rights



  5. #625
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Doesn't matter. There are plenty of sites siting very similar stats.
    probably staffed by the same sort of liars.Josh Sugarmann is well known as both dishonest and wanting complete gun bans



  6. #626
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    probably staffed by the same sort of liars.Josh Sugarmann is well known as both dishonest and wanting complete gun bans
    Yes, I know, anyone who disagrees is a liar. This is fully understood. But, again, these numbers are found repeatedly.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #627
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    yeah but you want major restrictions that hassle harass and infringe on our rights
    Again, I challenge to find any call from of the kind.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #628
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaserac View Post
    If those stats were the stats you brought up with the VPC link, you might have been able to interest me in your argument. Keeping it clumsy and dishonest is not so funny anymore though......
    All those numbers are along the same line. You really do seem to merely be behaving contrary and not addressing anything. Nor has any one addressed the actual point. I suspect there is a reason for that.

    Allow me to repeat the actual point:

    Law enforcement agencies do not collect information on the number of times civilians use firearms to defend themselves or their property against attack. Such data have been collected in household surveys. The contradictory nature of the available statistics may be partially explained by methodological factors. That is, these and other criminal justice statistics reflect what is reported to have occurred, not necessarily the actual number of times certain events occur.

    http://freegovreports.com/index.php/...n-self-defense

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #629
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again, I challenge to find any call from of the kind.


    Why don't you just tell us what you DO want. This cowardly method of hiding your true agenda is rather old.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #630
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You really do seem to merely be behaving contrary and not addressing anything.
    LOL!

    Nor has any one addressed the actual point.
    poor ms mccarthy has

    McCarthy bill limits gun ammunition magazines to 10 bullets - National Democrat | Examiner.com

    unfortunately, the president lacks guts

    Why Obama's Silence on Gun-Control Laws Pleases Nobody - TIME

    and you lack links

    Again, I challenge to find any call from of the kind.
    characteristic incoherence from the marble mouthed mumbler

Page 63 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •