Page 57 of 111 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 1104

Thread: White House to Push Gun Control

  1. #561
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Um no, they aren't and you haven't shown so.

    j-mac
    •Although most gun owners reportedly keep a firearm in their home for "protection" or "self defense," 83 percent of gun-related deaths in these homes are the result of a suicide, often by someone other than the gun owner.

    And the accident deaths and protectin deaths are above as well.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #562
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    You just made an argument to ban cars and buckets of water. Kudos to you.
    I haven't argued to ban anything. Agian, you guys do leap around.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #563
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I haven't argued to ban anything. Agian, you guys do leap around.


    So you are just whining for whining sake? Whats your point then. people die? So what do you want to do about it?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #564
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You can defend yourself with another tool as well.
    Ok, let's say that guns were never invented. Let's say that swords were still the personal weapon of choice. Would you then be arguing that they should be kept from legal ownership because the mentally ill, or criminals, or accidents cause death at a swords use?

    All that is claim is that more people hurt themselves and others around them with guns than they hurt others in protection.
    So what? You can't protect people from themselves. It is not your call.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #565
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    So you are just whining for whining sake? Whats your point then. people die? So what do you want to do about it?
    What it has always been. Too many see guns not as a tool, but as a mythical icon capable of saving the world and giving everyone warm fuzzies. A gun to protect yourself can also be used to bring misery into your life. At a minimum, when you choose to have a weapon in the house, you should understand risks and responibsility come with it. It isn't magic or supernatural. It's just like a hammer, . . atool and nothing more or less.

    You guys simply ingore the argument and jump all over the place, j going toe to toe with the mythical liberla.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #566
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    What it has always been. Too many see guns not as a tool, but as a mythical icon capable of saving the world and giving everyone warm fuzzies.

    I actually agree with that. Even for cops. Did you know they took a survey and found out the safest place in NYC to stand if a cop was shooting at you, was right in front of him? 11% hit rate, criminals, 21% hit rate...


    I think training is as important as placing a cc down on the counter, I've said this countless times.




    A gun to protect yourself can also be used to bring misery into your life. At a minimum, when you choose to have a weapon in the house, you should understand risks and responibsility come with it. It isn't magic or supernatural. It's just like a hammer, . . atool and nothing more or less.

    I do, always have, and for example, I had the correct tool, and equipment for a patrol job in NM. You thought it was overkill, the previous employees who quit would disagree, as would I.

    What this has to do with "misery" though is baffling.




    You guys simply ingore the argument and jump all over the place, j going toe to toe with the mythical liberla.


    What argument, that guns are dangerous? So are cars and buckets of water, both caused more deaths than guns..... your point is moot if not hysterics.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #567
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ok, let's say that guns were never invented. Let's say that swords were still the personal weapon of choice. Would you then be arguing that they should be kept from legal ownership because the mentally ill, or criminals, or accidents cause death at a swords use?



    So what? You can't protect people from themselves. It is not your call.

    j-mac
    You're still not addressing me. Nothing in my claim disputes this.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #568
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    •Although most gun owners reportedly keep a firearm in their home for "protection" or "self defense," 83 percent of gun-related deaths in these homes are the result of a suicide, often by someone other than the gun owner.

    And the accident deaths and protectin deaths are above as well.

    Big deal! Your own article from a source clearly against gun ownership in the home, is that there are some 34,000 deaths from suicide. You are saying that 83% of these is from self inflicted gunshot. that would be approximately 28,000 of them. Now lets put away the fact that this sources own numbers are questionable because they also say that Alcoholism is responsible in 30% of suicides, 83, and 30 equals 113%, you can't achieve more than 100%, but anyway, I showed that there are some 3 million guns owned legally in the US, of that approximately 500,000 were used to thwart a crime of some sort, and the accidental rates were around 16,000 of that.

    Now, take your 28,000, and add it to 16,000 and you get 44,000 out of 500,000 that equals about 8.8%, so how do you arrive at your absurd statement that "All it has to be is more than those documented killed in self protection. Accidents (including shooting the wrong person) and sucides are more." This is simply wrong.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #569
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Big deal! Your own article from a source clearly against gun ownership in the home, is that there are some 34,000 deaths from suicide. You are saying that 83% of these is from self inflicted gunshot. that would be approximately 28,000 of them. Now lets put away the fact that this sources own numbers are questionable because they also say that Alcoholism is responsible in 30% of suicides, 83, and 30 equals 113%, you can't achieve more than 100%, but anyway, I showed that there are some 3 million guns owned legally in the US, of that approximately 500,000 were used to thwart a crime of some sort, and the accidental rates were around 16,000 of that.

    Now, take your 28,000, and add it to 16,000 and you get 44,000 out of 500,000 that equals about 8.8%, so how do you arrive at your absurd statement that "All it has to be is more than those documented killed in self protection. Accidents (including shooting the wrong person) and sucides are more." This is simply wrong.


    j-mac
    \


    actually, there are 250 million guns owned by private individuals.


    NRA-ILA :: More Guns, Less Crime Again
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #570
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    I actually agree with that. Even for cops. Did you know they took a survey and found out the safest place in NYC to stand if a cop was shooting at you, was right in front of him? 11% hit rate, criminals, 21% hit rate...


    I think training is as important as placing a cc down on the counter, I've said this countless times.






    I do, always have, and for example, I had the correct tool, and equipment for a patrol job in NM. You thought it was overkill, the previous employees who quit would disagree, as would I.

    What this has to do with "misery" though is baffling.







    What argument, that guns are dangerous? So are cars and buckets of water, both caused more deaths than guns..... your point is moot if not hysterics.
    Misery. Son commits sucide with yoru gun. Misery.

    Yes, guns are dangerous, and not a warm fuzzy. All the sentences work together to make the one point.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •