Page 56 of 111 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 1104

Thread: White House to Push Gun Control

  1. #551
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Did you check the site Joe, it's in there...



    So what's your point? 700 incidents of accidental shooting by gun owners, as compared to 500,000 successful thwarting of crimes. That's .0014% .....NEXT!


    j-mac
    Answered it. A suvey. this means they asked people if they did. This is more than a little subjective. My brother in law would say he does it daily. He's lying of course, but he doesn't know it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #552
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,706

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Now add sucicides;

    •Although most gun owners reportedly keep a firearm in their home for "protection" or "self defense," 83 percent of gun-related deaths in these homes are the result of a suicide, often by someone other than the gun owner.

    AFSP: Facts and Figures: National Statistics


    because a suicidal person is always thwarted by lack of access to a gun.



    Should we ban bridges and sleeping pills to because some waste wants to take his own life?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #553
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    because a suicidal person is always thwarted by lack of access to a gun.



    Should we ban bridges and sleeping pills to because some waste wants to take his own life?


    Well, they are more effective with guns. But as it is part of my claim, that more are hurt than protected, if has to be part of the numbers.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #554
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Well, they are more effective with guns. But as it is part of my claim, that more are hurt than protected, if has to be part of the numbers.

    How do you figure? Even using your own numbers it's still less than 1%


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #555
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,706

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Well, they are more effective with guns. But as it is part of my claim, that more are hurt than protected, if has to be part of the numbers.



    no it doesn't. You are attributing actions of individuals to the chosen tool, you would have to show that without guns, these folks would not jump off a bridge. It's a non starter. The gun is not to blame for some suicidal idiot offing himself.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #556
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    How do you figure? Even using your own numbers it's still less than 1%


    j-mac
    less than 1% orf what? Compared to what? All it has to be is more than those documented killed in self protection. Accidents (including shooting the wrong person) and sucides are more.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #557
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,706

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    less than 1% orf what? Compared to what? All it has to be is more than those documented killed in self protection. Accidents (including shooting the wrong person) and sucides are more.


    You just made an argument to ban cars and buckets of water. Kudos to you.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #558
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    no it doesn't. You are attributing actions of individuals to the chosen tool, you would have to show that without guns, these folks would not jump off a bridge. It's a non starter. The gun is not to blame for some suicidal idiot offing himself.

    Good point Rev. Tylenol accounts for suicide as well, should we ban that? I have never seen a gun chase someone down and shoot them without a human at the operating end.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #559
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    less than 1% orf what? Compared to what? All it has to be is more than those documented killed in self protection. Accidents (including shooting the wrong person) and sucides are more.
    Um no, they aren't and you haven't shown so.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #560
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    no it doesn't. You are attributing actions of individuals to the chosen tool, you would have to show that without guns, these folks would not jump off a bridge. It's a non starter. The gun is not to blame for some suicidal idiot offing himself.
    No, I don't. That's entirely a different arguement. You can defend yourself with another tool as well. All that is claim is that more people hurt themselves and others around them with guns than they hurt others in protection.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •