Page 55 of 111 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 1104

Thread: White House to Push Gun Control

  1. #541
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Actually, they didn't.
    Only if your name is Boo Radley.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    They did not measure accidental shootings, or peopel shooting family memebers and friends, with those who protect themselves. They showed other accidents, and compared them with shooting accidents. And then showed an opinion survey. But did not answer my claim at all.
    You obviously did not read the articles Goshin posted.

    I have also seen you post nothing in defense of your opinion. A fact or 2 backed up by evidence as the others did?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #542
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,517

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You're first paragraph is exact right. Those things mean much more than a weapon. And I agree that a weapon is a tool, and sometimes a useful one. Just not magic. If you have none of the things in the first paragraph, a gun won't help you much. And all the weapon you need is that which is required. A tank or a nuke may be be the weapon of choice in most self protectin cases. neither is an AK47. You don't hunt with an M16 either. Just as with any job, you use the proper tool for the job. Didn't Tim the Toll man teach us anything.

    an m16 makes a great varmint rifle.


    and you refuse to pay attention. Tell me, was the body armor overkill as well? We wore it...



    Face it, you want to ignore all the facts I brought up so you can post in your insipid style about how inh your ignorant position what I needed and did not need on this ranch.


    Tell me, what would you have carried if you were tasked with this job?

    Please do tell.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #543
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,517

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yes, at 350. I moved well for a big man. Few actually believed I weighted that much.

    ah yes you were a svelt 350, hero.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #544
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    [QUOTE=j-mac;1059272125]
    No, it would highlight the arrogance in your statements concerning what "the people" want. See, I don't think you give two hoots about what the Constitution says, or what the founding fathers proposed for the future of this country. I think that you like most liberals think they know better, that those that disagree with their own utopian view of the nanny state that they envision are just somehow stupid, and shouldn't be allowed the vote in the first place. And when pressed on this, they dance, and obfuscate, anything but answer in an honest, forthright way that would lead to proper debate. Now I am not saying that you are absolutely this way Joe, but just because you think something is dangerous, and wouldn't have it yourself, doesn't mean that you can preclude me from owning it.

    J, I'm not sure you know what the constitution says. If your like Tea party candidates, it's likely you don't. But, all you have to do is make a point. BY all means, cite something from the consititution and show you actually read it correctly. It would be far better than your endless battle with all liberals, whoever they are.

    And how many gun laws are on the books right now that are not being enforced?
    None that I know of, but what has that to do with anythign I've said. You would do better to address what I say and not the mythical all libberals you seem to prefer to fight.


    I do alright. Maybe it is your own seclusion in that ivory tower that prompts you to not understand the average American.
    Yes, j, I'm a former truck driver, waiter, security gaurd, Army airborne troop in the midwest who is an east coast liberla in an Ivory tower. Gottcha.



    Yes. Do you?
    I'm not convinced you do. If you did, you'd address that argument.

    Who cares what you think? You made a statement that requires back up with statistics Do you have them? Either provide them or retract.
    You back something up many ways. I used logic. Do you see a flaw in my logic?


    So now you speak for all inner city dwellers from your corn fields in Iowa? that's a good one. Show me your stats.
    No, they spoken for themselves. They have voted. And they have spoke on TV in focus groups. There is no doubt city folk see things differently than rural folks.

    [PDF] THE SOCIAL CORRELATES TO FEAR OF VIOLENCE: A REFERENDUM ON GUN ...File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
    by RJ Earickson - 1995 - Related articles
    voters. The fact that urban voters favor gun control been done since the early 1980s on the ecological and rural voters do not leads to the hypothesis that ..... difference between classes, the greater the cohesion ...
    geographyplanning.buffalostate.edu/MSG%201996/2_Earickson.pdf



    Ofcourse I comply with the law. See your problem is though that the criminals that are committing these crimes you imagine don't! What's your answer for them Joe? Disarm me? Why?

    j-mac
    Yes, criminals break the law. We know that. So, this means what?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #545
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    an m16 makes a great varmint rifle.


    and you refuse to pay attention. Tell me, was the body armor overkill as well? We wore it...



    Face it, you want to ignore all the facts I brought up so you can post in your insipid style about how inh your ignorant position what I needed and did not need on this ranch.


    Tell me, what would you have carried if you were tasked with this job?

    Please do tell.
    Likely. I simply doubt the treat was as huge as you claim. But I see no where to go from here.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #546
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Actually, they didn't. They did not measure accidental shootings, or peopel shooting family memebers and friends, with those who protect themselves. They showed other accidents, and compared them with shooting accidents. And then showed an opinion survey. But did not answer my claim at all.

    Ok, here you go...

    * In 2007, there were 613 fatal firearm accidents in the United States, constituting 0.5% of 123,706 fatal accidents that year.[120]
    and Those who protect them selves with fire arms...

    * Based on production data from firearm manufacturers,[6] there are roughly 300 million firearms owned by civilians in the United States as of 2010. Of these, about 100 million are handguns.[7]
    Seems like the stats you are trying to hang your hat on are very low. The charts in this site shows them to rank just above Pedel Cyclists, and Overreactions in the fatal section, and in the non fatal section only dog bite was lower...So Now we get to ask you, what's your point? Sounds like guns are overall a safe effective way to prevent being a victim of crime in this country.


    Oh, here is the source of those stats. Gun Control

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #547
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ok, here you go...



    and Those who protect them selves with fire arms...



    Seems like the stats you are trying to hang your hat on are very low. The charts in this site shows them to rank just above Pedel Cyclists, and Overreactions in the fatal section, and in the non fatal section only dog bite was lower...So Now we get to ask you, what's your point? Sounds like guns are overall a safe effective way to prevent being a victim of crime in this country.


    Oh, here is the source of those stats. Gun Control

    j-mac
    You do not show how many were used in protection. The claim was, and I repeat, that more people are shot accidently, or shooting themselves (suicide0 or relatives, than shot by someone defending themselves. That is the claim you have to tackle.
    Last edited by Boo Radley; 02-08-11 at 11:47 AM.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #548
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,517

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You do not show how many were used in protection. The claim was, and I repeat, that more people are shot accidently, or shooting themselves (suicide0 or relatives, than shot by someone defending themselves. That is the claim you have to tackle.


    its already established there are between 700-1300 accidental shootings a year.



    "there are about 7700 to 18500 reported legal shootings of criminals a year"

    Guns and Self-Defense by Gary Kleck, Ph.D.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #549
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You do not show how many were used in protection. The claim was, and I repeat, that more people are shot accidently, or shooting themselves (suicide0 or relatives, than shot by someone defending themselves. That is the claim you have to tackle.

    Did you check the site Joe, it's in there...

    * A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 0.5% of households had members who had used a gun for defense during a situation in which they thought someone "almost certainly would have been killed" if they "had not used a gun for protection." Applied to the U.S. population, this amounts to 162,000 such incidents per year. This figure excludes all "military service, police work, or work as a security guard."[12]

    * Based on survey data from the U.S. Department of Justice, roughly 5,340,000 violent crimes were committed in the United States during 2008. These include simple/aggravated assaults, robberies, sexual assaults, rapes, and murders.[13] [14] [15] Of these, about 436,000 or 8% were committed by offenders visibly armed with a gun.[16]

    * Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18]

    * A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 3.5% of households had members who had used a gun "for self-protection or for the protection of property at home, work, or elsewhere." Applied to the U.S. population, this amounts to 1,029,615 such incidents per year. This figure excludes all "military service, police work, or work as a security guard."[19]

    * A 1994 survey conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Americans use guns to frighten away intruders who are breaking into their homes about 498,000 times per year.[20]
    So what's your point? 700 incidents of accidental shooting by gun owners, as compared to 500,000 successful thwarting of crimes. That's .0014% .....NEXT!


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #550
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    its already established there are between 700-1300 accidental shootings a year.



    "there are about 7700 to 18500 reported legal shootings of criminals a year"

    Guns and Self-Defense by Gary Kleck, Ph.D.
    Now add sucicides;

    •Although most gun owners reportedly keep a firearm in their home for "protection" or "self defense," 83 percent of gun-related deaths in these homes are the result of a suicide, often by someone other than the gun owner.

    AFSP: Facts and Figures: National Statistics

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •