Page 53 of 111 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 1104

Thread: White House to Push Gun Control

  1. #521
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    What makes you think I don't have experience? Experience at what? You make far too many leaps based on next to nothing.

    Anyway, let's get back on something of substance if you can.

    Easy you never served in combat, you admitted to morbid obesity until
    You got into shape by running..... You are not someone i'd consider a threat.

    But please by all means stop running your mouth trolling me and i'll be happy to stop laughing at the spectacle you make of yourself. Sound fair?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #522
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    Easy you never served in combat, you admitted to morbid obesity until
    You got into shape by running..... You are not someone i'd consider a threat.

    But please by all means stop running your mouth trolling me and i'll be happy to stop laughing at the spectacle you make of yourself. Sound fair?
    At 350 pounds I ran four miles a day. My son, a 110 pound seventeen year old was shock when I caught him in a race. I've fought most my life.

    But the fact is rev, you troll yourself. You seldom get the actual argument. You leap all over the place. You put up stats that have nothing to do with what is claimed. You name call, and act the fool. It's your call, but no one trolls you better than you do.

    Now, do you have anything on content?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #523
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,326

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I think and vote, so it is for me to decide.
    You ofcourse can cast your vote, however, it is but one vote. Are you suggesting that your vote counts more than mine?

    We don't have absolute rights.
    Where do our rights come from Joe?

    The courts have allowed for regulation.
    The courts can rule what they wish, they also overturn a good many decisions as well do they not?

    But, as I breath and think, I can express my thoughts.
    Does that mean someone has to listen?

    And I care, because stupidity all too often spills outside on one's own yard, and effects people around them.
    Hmmm....I see, so if I don't like what you have because it may effect me, then I can take away your right to own it?

    When that young man in Montana was allowed to buy a pistol, and he took it to a party and trwiled it like he was some cowboy trick shot artist and accidently shot a female by stander in the throat, kiling her, . . . well. his right reach right across the room and affected someone else.
    Do you think that all gun owners act like this young man?

    There is a line here, and when people overreact, and over arm, sooner or later someone who shouldn't is going to feel it.
    Who's making the determination that someone is as you put it, "over armed"?

    But, I've called for no new law.
    Good. We don't need them.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #524
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    What makes you think I don't have experience?
    well...

    what you do, silly, is DRAG your CURSOR to highlight the URL box, then RIGHT CLICK to bring up the COPY option...

    LOL!

    Anyway, let's get back on something of substance
    ok

    the issue's a loser and obama's a coward

    today: Why Obama's Silence on Gun-Control Laws Pleases Nobody - TIME

    if you can
    of course we can

    we OWN the links

  5. #525
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    You ofcourse can cast your vote, however, it is but one vote. Are you suggesting that your vote counts more than mine?
    Don't be silly j.

    Where do our rights come from Joe?
    Don't you know?

    Seriously, make your point.


    The courts can rule what they wish, they also overturn a good many decisions as well do they not?
    Whether they do or not is besides the point. The law is the law. And there is history of regulation.

    Does that mean someone has to listen?
    Have to? No. Never suggested you were forced to listen to me. But you respond all the same.

    Hmmm....I see, so if I don't like what you have because it may effect me, then I can take away your right to own it?
    Have I advocated any taking away of any rights? But regulation is common. And it is usually because people have taken it out of their yard that spurred regulation. There is history, isn't there?

    Do you think that all gun owners act like this young man?
    Likely more today than in the past. There is a real reason why those who live in cities vote differently than those who live in rural areas.


    Who's making the determination that someone is as you put it, "over armed"?
    Would you concede that there is such a thing as an objective standard? If you can kill a deer with a rifle, would a nuke be overkill, or is that just an opinion?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #526
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,326

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Don't be silly j.
    No silliness here, just a question you fail to answer, why?

    Don't you know?

    Seriously, make your point.
    Answer the question.


    Whether they do or not is besides the point. The law is the law. And there is history of regulation.
    Courts don't make law.

    Have to? No. Never suggested you were forced to listen to me. But you respond all the same.
    Mostly from shock and dismay.

    Have I advocated any taking away of any rights? But regulation is common. And it is usually because people have taken it out of their yard that spurred regulation. There is history, isn't there?
    More like fear brought about by propaganda like what you are attempting here.

    Likely more today than in the past.
    Prove it.

    There is a real reason why those who live in cities vote differently than those who live in rural areas.
    And what do you see that as?

    Would you concede that there is such a thing as an objective standard? If you can kill a deer with a rifle, would a nuke be overkill, or is that just an opinion?
    As long as I have a 2nd Amendment right, and the ability to purchase a legal product, I will do so with or without your approval.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #527
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    At 350 pounds I ran four miles a day. My son, a 110 pound seventeen year old was shock when I caught him in a race. I've fought most my life.
    At 350 lbs? Maybe you Fought your way to a buffet table.

    No good for you losing all that weight. What a hard fight it must have been.




    But the fact is rev, you troll yourself. You seldom get the actual argument. You leap all over the place. You put up stats that have nothing to do with what is claimed. You name call, and act the fool. It's your call, but no one trolls you better than you do.
    If pointin out your dishonesty and laughing at your hoplophobic chicken little dance is trolling. Why then are numerous poster refering to your behavior in this thread as trolling?



    Now, do you have anything on content?

    i do, you ignored it or lied about it. Typical.
    Last edited by ReverendHellh0und; 02-07-11 at 07:42 PM.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #528
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Just like you rev, bring up useless stats that don't speak to what I said at all. You have to show more people protect themselves with guns than shoot themselves accidently. No other grouping matters to my point.
    Firearms Accidents and Firearms Safety Education
    Fatal Firearms Accidents for All Ages Annually: 1,134 nationwide in 1996. Rate of 0.4 per 100T population. Represents a roughly 90% decrease from record high in 1904. Accident rate is down by 65% since 1930, while U.S. population has doubled and number of privately-owned firearms has quadrupled. Compare to other types of fatal accidents, for all ages: Motor Vehicles 16.7/100T, Falls 4.8/100T, Poisoning 4.0/100T, Drowning 1.7/100T, Fires 1.6/100T, Choking 1.1/100T.(National Safety Council, National Center for Health Statistics, BATF, US Census)

    Fatal Firearms Accidents for Children 14 and Under Annually: 138 nationwide in 1996. About 3% of all fatal accidents under age 14. Represents a 75% decrease from record high of 550 in 1975. Compared to other types of fatal accidents for children: Motor Vehicles 44%, Fires 16%, Drowning 14%, Choking 4.5%.(Nat'l Safety Council, Nat'l Center for Health Statistics)

    the Kleck Study:
    Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology

    Number Of Protective Uses Of Firearms In U.S: Projected at a minimum of 2.5 million cases annually, equal to 1% of total U.S. population each year. Criminal assailants are killed by their victims or others in only about 0.1%, and wounded in only about 1.0% of incidents as described above. Most such crimes are prevented by mere presence of a firearm in the hands of an intended victim.(Dr. Gary Kleck, PhD, Florida State University, Targeting Guns, 1998)

    A 1993 Gallup Poll study (hardly a conservative partisan group) found a likely annual rate of defensive gun use (DGU) of 777,153 per year in the US.
    An LA Times 1994 study found an implied national DGU of 3,609,682.

    National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS).

    Data from the NCVS imply that each year there are only about 68,000 defensive uses of guns in connection with assaults and robberies, [16] or about 80,000 to 82,000 if one adds in uses linked with household burglaries. [17] These figures are less than one ninth of the estimates implied by the results of at least thirteen other surveys, summarized in Table 1, most of which have been previously reported. [18] The NCVS estimates imply that about 0.09 of 1% of U.S. households experience a defensive gun use (DGU) in any one year, compared to the Mauser survey's estimate of 3.79% of households over a five year period, or about 0.76% in any one year, assuming an even distribution over the five year period, and no repeat uses. [19]
    The strongest evidence that a measurement is inaccurate is that it is inconsistent with many other independent measurements or observations of the same phenomenon; indeed, some would argue that this is ultimately the only way of knowing that a measurement is wrong. Therefore, one might suppose that the gross inconsistency of the NCVS-based estimates with all other known estimates, each derived from sources with no known flaws even remotely substantial enough to account for nine-to-one, or more, discrepancies, would be sufficient to persuade any serious scholar that the NCVS estimates are unreliable.
    ...The NCVS was not designed to estimate how often people resist crime using a gun. It was designed primarily to estimate national victimization levels; it incidentally happens to include a few self-protection questions which include response categories covering resistance with a gun.

    The Kleck study concluded that there were possibly as many as 2.5 million defensive gun uses per year, many of which involved no shots fired or no one injured, and many of which were not reported:
    The most technically sound estimates presented in Table 2 are those based on the shorter one-year recall period that rely on Rs' first-hand accounts of their own experiences (person-based estimates). These estimates appear in the first two columns. They indicate that each year in the U.S. there are about 2.2 to 2.5 million DGUs of all types by civilians against humans, with about 1.5 to 1.9 million of the incidents involving use of handguns.
    These Wikipedia articles are good sources of general information on concealed-carry permits and related issues.
    They include information from both pro and anti perspectives.

    Concealed carry in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    North Carolina reports only 0.2% of their 263,102 holders had their license revoked in the 10 years since they have adopted the law.[61]

    Permit holders are a remarkably law-abiding subclass of the population. Florida, which has issued over 1,408,907 permits in twenty one years, has revoked only 166 for a "crime after licensure involving a firearm," and fewer than 4,500 permits for any reason.[62]
    More Guns, Less Crime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    John Lott's study is not without controversy, but despite nit-picking about techincal proceedures remains siginficant:
    Lott examines the effects of shall issue laws on violent crime across the United States.

    His conclusion is that shall issue laws, which allow citizens to carry concealed weapons, steadily decrease violent crime. He explains that this result makes sense because criminals are deterred by the risk of attacking an armed victim. As more citizens arm themselves, the danger to criminals increases.

    From an excellent summary page:

    Firearms as Used in Crime
    Annual Criminal Abuse of Firearms Nationally: Less than 0.2% of all firearms, and less than 0.4% of all handguns. More than 99.8% of all guns, and 99.6% of all handguns are NOT used in criminal activity in any given year.(BATF, FBI)
    Crime in the United States
    Chance of Any Single Individual Being a Victim of Violent Crime In Their Lifetime: Currently about 65 to 70%, depending on age, profession, lifestyle, geographic and demographic factors.(US DoJ, FBI UCR)
    Last edited by Goshin; 02-07-11 at 09:15 PM.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #529
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,326

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    So much for seeing Boo back here, to refute this aspect anyway....LOL


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #530
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Boo, I've been around the block a few (dozen) times. Been in more armed confrontations than I can easily count. Defended myself both with and without weapons.

    Self-protection is 90% mindset, awareness, social skills, security precautions, street-smarts, and common sense, yes. With those, you can avoid most situations involving dangerous criminals. Some people can go all their lives without a violent encounter, with that a some luck.

    Luck only goes so far, though, and not all of us wish to depend on it.

    Hand-to-hand fighting skills are very useful. I spent most of my youth cultivating same and still try to maintain my skills. However, there are times and circumstances when they are not adequate.

    Yes, almost anyone can be assasinated, and defending against assasination is properly the job of a well-trained team of at least 7 professional bodyguards. However, most criminal confrontations are not in the form of an assassination... that's actually relatively rare.

    No, guns are not magic. However, they are useful tools when properly employed, and when you need one, you tend to need one really badly. When that rare occasion does arise, you prefer to be more heavily armed, rather than minimally armed.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •