Page 31 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 1104

Thread: White House to Push Gun Control

  1. #301
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    How early is early? Unless you're placing a gun in the hands of a newborn baby without the safety on then you believe in some form of gun control.
    The fact that juveniles are denied certain rights based on age has nothing to do with the rights of an adult citizen. We don't let children vote, and supporting that doesn't mean I favor restricting adult voting rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #302
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    So every time someone commits a crime with a gun you want to infringe my on 2nd Amendment rights?
    If you're crazy hell yeah.

  3. #303
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The fact that juveniles are denied certain rights based on age has nothing to do with the rights of an adult citizen. We don't let children vote, and supporting that doesn't mean I favor restricting adult voting rights.
    Not letting children vote is voting control. Not letting children have guns is gun control.

  4. #304
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post

    All are potentially dangerous situations. No one in any of those categories has any business gun shopping. If I had a family member that had depression or suicide issues I'd have to be really cold to allow them to go out a buy a gun.



    Ignoring all the hot air, borderline personal attacks, and unsubstantiated BS, I'll address the only substantive point in the post:

    You think anxiety attacks are sufficient reason to deny someone a gun? Really?

    Do you even know what anxiety attacks are?

    Most vets have some form or degree of PTSD. Many choose to go untreated. Most are perfectly functional in civilian life. You aren't even distinguishing between the guy whose PTSD simply manifests as difficulty sleeping, vs the guy whose PTSD involves actual waking hallucinations.

    You don't seem to have much knowlege about this topic, and you leave me wondering why we should pay any attention to opinions that appear to be born from sheer ignorance.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #305
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I'll go along with this rediculous, "what if", and say that I believe we should let babies sleep with a gun in their crib, to get used to being around it. Unloaded, of course, until they're capable of loading and unloading it themselves.
    What are you, some sort of commie?

  6. #306
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Not letting children vote is voting control. Not letting children have guns is gun control.


    Then you support restrictions on sexual activity between consenting adults, because we don't let minors under a certain age have sex?

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #307
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Ignoring all the hot air, borderline personal attacks, and unsubstantiated BS, I'll address the only substantive point in the post:

    You think anxiety attacks are sufficient reason to deny someone a gun? Really?

    Do you even know what anxiety attacks are?

    Most vets have some form or degree of PTSD. Many choose to go untreated. Most are perfectly functional in civilian life. You aren't even distinguishing between the guy whose PTSD simply manifests as difficulty sleeping, vs the guy whose PTSD involves actual waking hallucinations.

    You don't seem to have much knowlege about this topic, and you leave me wondering why we should pay any attention to opinions that appear to be born from sheer ignorance.

    Out of all the mental issues you orginally cited you stuck with just anxiety attacks? Me thinks you realized you didn't have a good argument for the rest.

    BTW being an Army brat, and a veteran myself, and father that dealt with PTSD for years after coming back from Vietnam, I can assure you veterans already have guns at home. So it's mute issue about shopping for guns which is what I was discussing.

    I apologize if you thought I made personal attacks but your arguments hit a sore spot with me.

  8. #308
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Then you support restrictions on sexual activity between consenting adults, because we don't let minors under a certain age have sex?
    Off topic Mr. Moderator.
    Last edited by EnigmaO01; 01-29-11 at 12:28 PM.

  9. #309
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    I'll be damned if someone tries to tell me I can't own a fully automatic AK-47!!! It's what the founding fathers intended, for us all to own the biggest and baddest weapons available.
    I use a lot of satire and sarcasm so keep that in mind when reading my posts.

  10. #310
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,065

    Re: White House to Push Gun Control

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    what moronic nonsense--thousands of those magazines were made before the ban and were available

    cocaine is banned for how many decades and this country is full of it

    if there is no rational reason for such magazines to exist why do so many police departments have such magazines in various weapons/

    the problem with you gun banners is you want to ban a 30 round magazine today-a 20 round magazine tomorrow and a 10 round magazine next week

    ANYTHING CIVILIAN POLICE DEPARTMENTS USE HAS BEEN DETERMINED TO BE USEFUL FOR CIVILIANS TO USE IN SELF DEFENSE

    THUS OTHER CIVILIANS OUGHT TO HAVE ACCESS TO THOSE THINGS
    I thought you were an attorney, and thus a student of precision in language. Kindly tell me where in my post that I said I was a gun banner. I am not. I merely stated that everyone is in favor of some form of gun control, we just argue about where to draw the line. Jumping to conclusions is not very attorney like. You must have spent time as a prosecutor, they tend to do that.

    The idea of banning the clips is not new. I was part of the Federal Assault Weapon ban of 1994, which was allowed to expire. Now, even Dick Cheney, one of the most staunch gun advocates in America, suggests that a ban on the size of a magazine is reasonable. Given that sanction, it is unreasonable for you to think I am a gun banner, unless you think Dick is one as well.

    Dick Cheney | Gun Control | Video | Mediaite

    Now, I will accept one of your corrections. I said that had the magazine ban existed he would not have been able to get one. You are correct that banning something does not prevent possession. I misspoke and should have been more precise in my assertion. The correct assertion should have been that with the ban, it would have been far more difficult to get the extended magazine. After all if, to use your illustration, its more difficult (and dangerous) to get cocaine (which is illegal) than beer (which is no longer illegal). Given that he made a retail purchase of his gun and ammo, it is unlikely he would have had the extended clip, or more precisely, it is certainly less likely.

    As to your argument of incrementalism, this is a tired and rather juvenile NRA position.... if we give one inch, they will take everything. That approach is unreasonable at every level. Some things require fixing, and to fix those things more often results in fortifying one's position, not weakening it.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 01-29-11 at 12:28 PM.

Page 31 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •