Medicare official doubts health care law savings - Health - Health care - msnbc.com
1. Medicare's actuary, much like CBO's Elmendorf a "constant thorn in Obama's side," testifies before Rep Ryan's Budget Committee, under aggressive questioning from Northern California's ultra conservative Tom McClintock, he "doubts" Obamacare will in actuality ultimately keep costs down.Two of the central promises of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul law are unlikely to be fulfilled, Medicare's independent economic expert told Congress on Wednesday.
The landmark legislation probably won't hold costs down, and it won't let everybody keep their current health insurance if they like it, Chief Actuary Richard Foster told the House Budget Committee. His office is responsible for independent long-range cost estimates.
2. For two years Obama, as assiduous as Ahab, justified his radical redrawing of 1/6 of the US economy on fiduciary grounds.
3. It was only in the dark days before his determination to DEEM the damn thing that Obama evolved his EMPHASIS from the economic to this more social animus, expanding coverage to everyone.
4. Before that, "reversing the cost trajectory" was Ahab Obama's raison d'etre.
5. In his sadsack SOTU he switched once more: "health insurance reform will SLOW these RISING costs."
6. Worrisomely worse is the actuary's estimate that equally false is Obama's MANTRA that Americans can keep their current coverage if they like it.
7. The embarrassing emptiness of this essential assurance is what encouraged Ms Sebelius to EXEMPT now EIGHT hundred too bigs from Obamacare's annual limit requirements.
8. Obamacare CUTS Medicare, already over strained, already direly depended on, by HALF A TRILLION dollars while simultaneously expanding its responsibilities to millions more of miserable Americans.
9. It burdens our already bankrupt states with 200B of new obligations in the form of millions more on Medicaid.
10. Doctors already are refusing to treat new Medicare patients, even before Obamacare's egregious and unfunded expansion.
11. Obamacare relies on TEN YEARS OF TAXES vs only SIX of full benefits.
12. It cynically cuts another QUARTER TRIL of DOC FIX out of its intrinsically inauthentic accounting.
13. It corruptly DOUBLE COUNTS another QUARTER T, according to CBO.
14. It relies on "revenues," ie, taxes, fines, fees and mandates, of more than THREE QUARTERS OF A TRIL to get to its bogus bottom line, says CBO.
15. ER costs and traffic actually increase, exposing as ersatz our challenged chief exec's primary payfor, according to the Boston Globe, subsidiary of the Gray Lady.
16. It subjects millions of Americans, mostly our young invulnerables, to MANDATES measuring thousands of dollars per year, with threats of jail time for those who refuse to comply, avows ABC.
17. Just wait til THE MANDATE, assured effortless passage thru Boehner's house, faces Senators McCaskill, Webb, Manchin, Conrad, Nelson, Nelson, Tester, Casey, Brown, Kohl, Klobuchar, Stabenow and Bingaman.
18. All of em UP for reelection in '12.
19. The parliamentary landscape could not be more perilous for the party STILL in power.
20. No wonder our perplexed president was so EQUIVOCAL about his prime piece in his destitute SOTU.
21. No wonder he's so eager to "fix what needs to be fixed and MOVE FORWARD."
22. Party on, progressives, your respite is precariously temporary.
Capitol Briefing - Senate votes to keep Medicare cuts
ER visits, costs in Mass. climb - The Boston Globe
Senate passes 1-year doc fix - The Hill's Healthwatch
Budget Office Rebuts Democratic Claims on Medicare (Update1) - Bloomberg
Governors balk over what healthcare bill will cost states - The Boston Globe
ASA: ASA 130th Annual Meeting Abstracts - Primary Payer Status Affects Mortality For Major Surgical Operations
Buy Insurance or Go to Jail? - The Note
Helping Americans Keep the Coverage They Have and Promoting Transparency | HHS.gov
McCaskill moves away from mandate - David Catanese - POLITICO.com