Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 90

Thread: Social Security Fund to Be Empty by 2037

  1. #71
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Social Security Fund to Be Empty by 2037

    I'll pass on the best advice someone ever gave me - I really didn't even know them at the time:

    "Plan, save and invest for your own retirement like Social Security never existed."


    That was 12 years ago, and I seriously took that advice. I'm planning on working until I'm 60 - that's another 17 years. Unless the entire country goes economically belly up, I should be able to work part time as a Walmart greeter past 60 if I want to get out of the house, but I have a feeling my hobbies will keep me busy. If SS still exists and I get a few sheckels, great - but I'm not holding my breath. I seriously wish the government would allow me to opt out and give me back my money via tax brakes over the next 10 years so I can take the extra money and put it where it will actually do me some good.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #72
    Professor
    Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-01-11 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Social Security Fund to Be Empty by 2037

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I'll pass on the best advice someone ever gave me - I really didn't even know them at the time:

    "Plan, save and invest for your own retirement like Social Security never existed."


    That was 12 years ago, and I seriously took that advice. I'm planning on working until I'm 60 - that's another 17 years. Unless the entire country goes economically belly up, I should be able to work part time as a Walmart greeter past 60 if I want to get out of the house, but I have a feeling my hobbies will keep me busy. If SS still exists and I get a few sheckels, great - but I'm not holding my breath. I seriously wish the government would allow me to opt out and give me back my money via tax brakes over the next 10 years so I can take the extra money and put it where it will actually do me some good.
    If the last 17 years are any indication, the economy will probably go belly up in the next 17 years. The only thing propping up the stock market right now is low interest rates. People are forced to put their money there to get any kind of return. More and more jobs are moving overseas, energy costs are rising, inflation is right around the corner, unemployment is rising, and the states are bankrupt. Things are only going to get worse.


    I have also followed the rules, lived within my means, saved every dime and prepared like SS did not exist. Doesn't mean I'm not worried.
    Last edited by Dirty Harry; 01-31-11 at 05:10 PM.

  3. #73
    Advisor TheHat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-17-13 @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    551

    Re: Social Security Fund to Be Empty by 2037

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Not likely. The people have spoken
    With all due respect to the people, most of them are stupid.

    The USA and its currency are about to be unloaded worldwide. The minute foreign nations dump the dollar, every social program will become insolvent overnight. We actually already are insolvent as a nation. Our only saving grace is the fact we just keep printing money. But that can't last much longer either.

    States are going bankrupt and the money they have been getting from the federal government is drying up, which means the federal government is drying up to, which is understandable. You can't spend yourself out of debt. But the average voter is to stupid to figure this out, so the politcians will continue scaring people about other groups wanting to take their freebees away and we continue down this insane course a little while longer to its miserable end eventually.

  4. #74
    Professor
    Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-01-11 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Social Security Fund to Be Empty by 2037

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHat View Post
    With all due respect to the people, most of them are stupid.
    .
    I agree......

  5. #75
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Social Security Fund to Be Empty by 2037

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    If the last 17 years are any indication, the economy will probably go belly up in the next 17 years. The only thing propping up the stock market right now is low interest rates. People are forced to put their money there to get any kind of return. More and more jobs are moving overseas, energy costs are rising, inflation is right around the corner, unemployment is rising, and the states are bankrupt. Things are only going to get worse.


    I have also followed the rules, lived within my means, saved every dime and prepared like SS did not exist. Doesn't mean I'm not worried.
    If that's the case, we'll all be hitting each other over the heads with clubs again in 17 years. Until that happens however, I'm not relying on the Government for a GOD-damned thing.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Social Security Fund to Be Empty by 2037

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I disagree with your premise.
    i have no premise, doug elmendorf does

    as cbo, he's a mathematician

  7. #77
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Social Security Fund to Be Empty by 2037

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    i have no premise, doug elmendorf does

    as cbo, he's a mathematician
    You do have a premise, a moral one. To wit, your premise is that changing the retirement age is a "betrayal" of the American people. Your words.

    Your premise is flawed. The American people cannot "betray" themselves. The social security trust fund was promised to the people, yes, but the people pillaged it. To change the retirement age is hardly a "betrayal," it is the consequence of short-sighted policy.

  8. #78
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Social Security Fund to Be Empty by 2037

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    You do have a premise, a moral one.
    betrayal is the conclusion, aquinas, cbo laid the premise

    To change the retirement age is hardly a "betrayal," it is the consequence of short-sighted policy.
    too abstruse

    ie, i wouldn't run on that platform if i were you

    seeya at the polls

  9. #79
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Social Security Fund to Be Empty by 2037

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    betrayal is the conclusion, aquinas, cbo laid the premise
    Indeed, betrayal is the conclusion. The premise is that there is a moral obligation from the government to the beneficiaries of SS. This is flawed because, in reality, the beneficiaries of SS are the very same people who frittered it away. Thus there is no moral obligation and thus no betrayal.

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Social Security Fund to Be Empty by 2037

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    ...The American people cannot "betray" themselves...
    There is no American people any more. There are the young and the seniors. The young will pay for the welfare of the seniors. There is nothing to negotiate. There is nothing to discuss. There will be no entitlement reform. The young will accept their yoke and the harness willingly. It is their karma.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •