Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50

Thread: School defends experiment to separate black students in a bid to boost their academic

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: School defends experiment to separate black students in a bid to boost their acad

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Yeah, perhaps. But my initial post was that this wasn't a test I personally would put much credence in. And I'll still stand by that. The idea that consistency is the key reminds me of what working parents try to tell themselves: It's not about how much time I spend, it's about quality time. It's both.
    This isn't about connecting between the teachers and the kids. It's about connecting the kids to each other and to the idea of scholarship.

  2. #32
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: School defends experiment to separate black students in a bid to boost their acad

    sounds like the idea itself may have value, but 6 minutes? you can't even get them in their seats in 6 minutes.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #33
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: School defends experiment to separate black students in a bid to boost their acad

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    sounds like the idea itself may have value, but 6 minutes? you can't even get them in their seats in 6 minutes.
    I think this is to accomodate the idea, first - test the waters. I'm sure many are like "Oh, just 6 minutes - sure"
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #34
    Sage
    EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,027

    Re: School defends experiment to separate black students in a bid to boost their acad

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Because students need to relate to each other. However, black students, in particular, seem to struggle academically, for cultural reasons that aren't immediately apparent.

    There is an anti-academic culture in a lot of black communities, and in some cases, black kids who excel in school are viewed as sellouts and losers by their peers. This isn't just an urban poor thing, it applies just as much to middle and upper income black families. This school is recognizing the existence of this stigma about school success, and is attempting to change the values of the black peer culture. In other words, making it cool to excel in school.
    As someone that has attended an urban school you hit the nail right on the head. Additoinally has anyone noticed how smart whites are treated in black sitcoms? Then there's Erkel. Anyone remember that sitcom? Bill Cosby talks about this all the time.
    Last edited by EnigmaO01; 01-27-11 at 09:12 PM.

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: School defends experiment to separate black students in a bid to boost their acad

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    As someone that has attended an urban school you hit the nail right on the head. Additoinally has anyone noticed how smart whites are treated in black sitcoms? Then there's Erkel. Anyone remember that sitcom? Bill Cosby talks about this all the time.
    Always liked Bill Cosby. One of the FEW celebrities that I always wanted to meet in person.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #36
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,613

    Re: School defends experiment to separate black students in a bid to boost their acad

    "The idea originated with Angela Tilghman, a McCaskey East instructional coach who was alarmed at the poor academic performance of the school's black students.
    Only about a third of McCaskey's African-Americans scored proficient or advanced in reading on last year's PSSAs, compared with 60 percent of white students and 42 percent of all students.
    Math scores were even worse, with just 27 percent of black pupils scoring proficient or advanced."
    Read more: McCaskey tries new mentoring program - LancasterOnline.com News

    I dont care if the have them stand on their heads, walk in circles and chant, burn incense, or whatever else they want to try. The individuals they are trying to help have been failing under the old system. If this works. Well done. If it doesnt, well...try something different.

  7. #37
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,589
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: School defends experiment to separate black students in a bid to boost their acad

    This doesn't quite pass the sniff test to me. Six minutes a day isn't going to do squat for anyone's academic performance. I mean, that's laughable. Segregating students by race throws all manner of warning flags in my head. I don't care about gender. Adolescents are so danged hormonal that six minutes a day without lusting after that hunky jock or getting an erection because a female tank top showed two inches of side boob is probably a good thing. The race thing takes me back to a time that I don't want to see again. There is no logical reason for this. None. Whatsoever.

    Now if this is some kind of cultural support group... although how 6 minutes of "cultural support" a day could possibly be enlightening eludes my grasp... then let the school come out and say so. I just can't buy the "it will improve academic permance hooey." It won't. It can't.

    Personally I've spent a part of my life marching against segregation. I hate it with every fiber of my being. To re-implement such a foul policy on any level at all makes me crazy. This not only doesn't pass the sniff test, it actually reeks to high heaven.

  8. #38
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: School defends experiment to separate black students in a bid to boost their acad

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    This doesn't quite pass the sniff test to me. Six minutes a day isn't going to do squat for anyone's academic performance. I mean, that's laughable. Segregating students by race throws all manner of warning flags in my head. I don't care about gender. Adolescents are so danged hormonal that six minutes a day without lusting after that hunky jock or getting an erection because a female tank top showed two inches of side boob is probably a good thing. The race thing takes me back to a time that I don't want to see again. There is no logical reason for this. None. Whatsoever.

    Now if this is some kind of cultural support group... although how 6 minutes of "cultural support" a day could possibly be enlightening eludes my grasp... then let the school come out and say so. I just can't buy the "it will improve academic permance hooey." It won't. It can't.

    Personally I've spent a part of my life marching against segregation. I hate it with every fiber of my being. To re-implement such a foul policy on any level at all makes me crazy. This not only doesn't pass the sniff test, it actually reeks to high heaven.
    So because in the past we treated race, overall, negatively - we cant ever approach issues on a race-basis? Truth of the matter is that sometimes race is a divide - health wise, academically - and I don't scold if they ahve an obvious problem and are trying to figure out what to do about it.

    Now I don't think this is going to actually help, either - because I feel that issues of the schooling nature are cultural and come more from familial views and support and so forth. But I'm sure that if the students felt like they were being treated *negatively* in this whole deal that they'd certainly put that out there.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #39
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: School defends experiment to separate black students in a bid to boost their acad

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Underlined part: Doesn't the same-race role model argument sort of imply segregation?

    Bold part: Isn't that what this school is trying to do? Granted it is applied to the whole group..but if something works for the ones that are not doing as well as others then wouldn't it also work for the ones that are doing well also?

    I'm a firm believer in doing whatever it takes to improve childrens education and acadamia performance. If this plan of thiers works then why not use it? Political Correctness? I'm not a fan of it. IMO people need to grow thicker skins and start using things that work and at least try things that might work and peoples feelings be damned.
    Not always. Putting people who can't read through basic reading classes might help them, but putting people who are reading well into basic reading classes is just a waste of their time which could be better spent on more advance subjects. Personally, nothing puts me off school more than being bored with things I already learned.

    The articles says that a third of the black students scored well in reading compared to 2/3 of whites. So the 2/3 of blacks and 1/3 of whites should be having remedial reading classes together. Why drag the 1/3 of blacks who are doing well into this group, and leave the 1/3 of whites who are not doing well behind? How fair is it to group the 1/3 of blacks who did well into the "black" group who need such special help they need to be segregated? And 1/3 of whites need help too, why are they being left out?

  10. #40
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: School defends experiment to separate black students in a bid to boost their acad

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Because students need to relate to each other. However, black students, in particular, seem to struggle academically, for cultural reasons that aren't immediately apparent.

    There is an anti-academic culture in a lot of black communities, and in some cases, black kids who excel in school are viewed as sellouts and losers by their peers. This isn't just an urban poor thing, it applies just as much to middle and upper income black families. This school is recognizing the existence of this stigma about school success, and is attempting to change the values of the black peer culture. In other words, making it cool to excel in school.
    Then they ought to institute this programe school wide so as not to single out blacks. Have White and Hispanics and Asian home room classes too. Just because Whites as a group did better than the black group doesn't mean all whites do well. The white students (and all other students too) who falls behind need help too.
    Last edited by nonpareil; 01-28-11 at 05:15 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •