Page 77 of 200 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 770 of 2000

Thread: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

  1. #761
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    But, I also think he needs to make a public statement letting everyone involved know that his wrath will know no bounds, if they harm a single hair on a single American's chinny-chin-chin, which he hasn't done.
    What's the point of immediately adopting a hostile attitude? Whoever is in the next government of Egypt, we will need to work with them and do our best to develop a workable relationship with them. Threatening them when they haven't done **** to us is hardly the diplomatic thing to do.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #762
    Professor
    Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-01-11 @ 01:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Let there come a replay of the hostage crisis and see how much criticism he gets.

    I think he's making the right move by keeping a low profile and not taking sides. (happy?)

    But, I also think he needs to make a public statement letting everyone involved know that his wrath will know no bounds, if they harm a single hair on a single American's chinny-chin-chin, which he hasn't done.

    Isn't America great? I can openly and publically question our president.
    Another war if one American gets killed? We can't pay for the last ones.

  3. #763
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    What's the point of immediately adopting a hostile attitude?
    To hold a position of strength vice a position of weakness. We're talking to Arabs, not Liberals. They don't respond favorably, just because someone is being nice.


    [/b]Whoever is in the next government of Egypt, we will need to work with them and do our best to develop a workable relationship with them.[/b] Threatening them when they haven't done **** to us is hardly the diplomatic thing to do.
    Not if they're Islamofacists. That's nothing more than appeasement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #764
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
    Another war if one American gets killed? We can't pay for the last ones.
    Not a war, exactly. Just an arc-light.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #765
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    To hold a position of strength vice a position of weakness.
    You realize that it's typically a sign of weakness to start off with an openly hostile attitude without being provoked. It occurs as a reaction to personal insecurity and fear. It's pretty much true all across the animal kingdom. Just look at chihuahuas.

  6. #766
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You realize that it's typically a sign of weakness to start off with an openly hostile attitude without being provoked. It occurs as a reaction to personal insecurity and fear. It's pretty much true all across the animal kingdom. Just look at chihuahuas.
    Not in that part of the world, it isn't. You're looking at it from the perspective of a moderate American. Not an Arab Islamofacist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #767
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not in that part of the world, it isn't. You're looking at it from the perspective of a moderate American. Not an Arab Islamofacist.
    Actually, I'm looking at it from the perspective of a person who has a fair understanding of psychology and biology.

  8. #768
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Actually, I'm looking at it from the perspective of a person who has a fair understanding of psychology and biology.
    You can't place every culture on earth into generalized catagories. In this case, I think your mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #769
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Obama has told Mubarak to step down...but I have no idea why he told him to not run for reelection, instead of to leave the country immediately. There's no way this is going to placate the protesters.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/02/wo...?_r=1&src=tptw
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #770
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: Riots erupt in Egypt as protesters demand end to Mubarak regime

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    What's the point of immediately adopting a hostile attitude? Whoever is in the next government of Egypt, we will need to work with them and do our best to develop a workable relationship with them. Threatening them when they haven't done **** to us is hardly the diplomatic thing to do.
    If Obama tries the sane approach, the Reps will be all over him for not being strong enough, for betraying the American people, and dozens of other political gotchas and spin offs. That's the only reason our boys are still in the Afghanistan hell hole.

    ricksfolly

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •